By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CNET: Is Sega Planning to return to the console market?? {new trademarks}!!

No. Maybe. Yes.

If they did, I would get it.

Around the Network

Yeah right. The only possibility I could see would be a handheld and I still don't think that would happen.

Lol @ "Sega has a loyal following that has been asking for a new console from the company ever since the Dreamcast was discontinued"

Maybe they had loyal fanbase but the Dreamcast still got discontinued.

I very highly doubt this.

Nah, they won't enter the next generation unless they have an excellent new idea that nobody can adapt to. Otherwise they'd be likely fighting a resource war, something they cannot win.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Soriku said:
If they were, I don't think they'd be supporting the other consoles so much with games like VC, and publishing Mad World, Conduit, Bayonetta, etc.

I highly doubt it. Just keep making games.

I don't know.

1) Making new IPS.

1A) Possibly trying to find new IPs to become popular and transition over to their System?

2) Publishing small companies games.

2A) building up relations with new up and coming developers so they have the process in place to get exclusives from Hardcore developers.?

It's not gonna happen (probably) but those reasons aren't reasons why it wouldn't.

but then they need to buy more quality studios,because secret level just wont cut it

Around the Network

i would buy a sega console again, i loved the dreamcast. they could launch it with virtua fighter 6 or a true phantasy star online game.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

i dont think they can afford the competition with MS , SONY and Nintendo

SEGA-Sammy isn't in any position to go through a console launch, i think. They could be, if they got their financial shit together (where exactly are they? I know they're recovering, but are they yet profitable?)

For their case, Nintendo has proven that if you have an excellent financial plan, as well as a compelling first-party lineup, you can build a successful console without being a multimedia conglomerate. I just don't see SEGA as having the former, even if they still retain the latter

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

i can see Sega pulling it off, but it would be an all or nothing gamble, if they give it competetive price and majour exclusives + 3rd party support and decent controls/specs they might have a shot at it, without all of the above, i think they would struggle to compete, i would buy a new sega console though

If I was Sega and I wanted to get back into the hardware side of the industry there are two ways I would consider approaching this ...

1) "Software and Service" model. Regardless of whether you're talking about portable devices like cell-phones or MP3 players or home based devices like PCs or set top boxes, the vast array of hardware, user interfaces and operating systems is a major hurdle for developers and gamers from ever taking these systems seriously for gaming. If Sega built a far more secure version of Java, and designed a uniform user interface, you could create a platform that hardware manufacturers licenced and software developers paid to deliver content to without ever spending money manufacturing anything.

2) Emerging Markets. China and India (along with several other markets around the world) have a growing population of people with disposable income to spend on entertainment. If Sega took the dreamcast, increased its security, and built a business model surrounding small games which can be sold for $5 to $10 they could (in theory) capture a market that no one thinks is viable.