By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - More Consumers Are Choosing Online Over DVD's - CNNMoney

Blu-ray is doomed, LoL

Around the Network

By recent BR sales numbers, more consumers are choosing blu-ray over DVD too ;)

dbot said:
Microsoft estimates streaming revenue currently accounts for less than .06% of a movie studio's revenue. I think the phrase "growing tide" may be a bit of an exaggeration.

--"One recent study found that movie downloads make up only 0.06 percent of studio revenue, said Jan Saxton, an analyst with Adams Media Research. She said her firm estimates that the return is a little higher but is still tiny."
http://tech.msn.com/news/articlecnet.aspx?cp-documentid=15967871&page=2

First, that is just talking about downloads, not streams.  That is to say, movie purchases made by downloading either via PSN, iTunes, etc. is only .06%

Streaming, however, is likely to be MUCH higher.  Also, that is revenue, and many streaming services obviously give movie producers less revenue per streamed title as apposed to sold DVD title, so it makes sense that not much revenue would be garnished from streaming video, especially when a lot of that streaming video content is free rather than paid for using a cable subscription.

Also, more consumers are still buying DVD than Blu-Ray.  The BR sales numbers only showed that a higher percentage of people are now picking up BR (ex: as in the percentage increased from say 7% to 9%), not MORE people than are buying DVDs.

I've been streaming more movies lately, but I haven't been buying less DVD's. I just watch less TV now..