By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - England football squad selection

The new England squad for the match against spain has been selected. I like it as it has six Aston Villa players included.But no Wayne Rooney. Steve Gerrard is injured so he hasn't been included. I like the line-up, I think it is capable of beating spain.

Goalkeepers: Robert Green (West Ham), Joe Hart (Man City), David James (Portsmouth).

Defenders: Wayne Bridge (Man City), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Luke Young (Villa).

Midfielders: David Beckham (LA Galaxy), Gareth Barry (Villa), Michael Carrick (Man Utd), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Villa), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Man City), Ashley Young (Villa).

Forwards: Gabriel Agbonlahor (Villa), Carlton Cole (West Ham), Peter Crouch (Portsmouth), Emile Heskey (Villa).

My personal starting eleven would be..

GK - David James

LB - Ashley Cole

CB - Rio ferdinand

CB - John Terry

RB - Glen Johnson

LM - Ashley Young

CM - Garreth Barry

CM - Frank Lampard

RM - James Miner

ST - Gabriel Agbonlahor

ST - Peter Crouch

What do you think of the squad, personally I think that a few players may have been overlooked, but I. like it

Around the Network

"Looks at spain's squad.."
Neh... You guys will not win that match....
I'm sorry but your goalkeepers are meh... and let's not talk about the strikers... they are average to good but not top..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I think England have a very good chance in this match, since Fabio has been in charge the team seems to have had a boost in confidence which is what they were lacking with Mclarren.

Have England even lost a match since the management was changed?

None of those strikers seems to me particulary good (maybe Agbonlahor a bit). Probably 'cause I haven't been following the Premier this season as much as before, but I don't see much quality there. Otherwise, the squad is good...though Spain is very strong, England will have to play very well to beat them.

And James as keeper? He's horrible, Green doesn't inspire me much confidence either, and Hart I've seen him in few matches, but he seems like a good keeper.

I haven't looked at the Spain squad, but it's sure to be stronger than the squad listed above. As others have mentioned, goalkeeper remains a huge problem position for England. Agbonlahor is a promising player who needs more consistency, but unfortunately for England lately has bit a bit off form. The other strikers are not convincing. Midfield looks young but pretty strong (Barry particularly has been playing very well for Villa). Defense looks okay.

Spain 1-0 England

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Around the Network

Harts too young, Green isn't at an international level. But David James is like a fine whiskey, he just seems to get better with age. I think he is better than most premiership goalkeepers, except Edwin Van Der Sar, Petr Cech and Brad Friedel (What, Brad Friedel is good-ish).

spain gonna win torres will murder ferdinanny

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Brad Friedel is awesome, as is Shey Given... but anyway... I think we are going to lose

I am losing my love of football, it is so frustrating, this weekend could have only been worse if Chelsea had lost or Lampard had been sent off for something random again, the funny thing about the Lampard red card is the fact that Alonso maintains that Lampard was going for him not the ball, despite the fact that Lampard had already played the ball by the time that Alonso kicked him and then feigned injury, which was why the ref sent off Lampard.... football is so annoying at the moment

Agbonlahor is a phenomenal striker, explosive speed mixed with deadly finishing. I don't know why people seem to think he is not on form at the moment. I saw him play yesterday and he was as good as he has ever been.

But outside of him the strikers that have been chosen are not great. Heskey is good, but finishing is not his strength. Crouch isn't that good, but he can score goals all day, stats don't lie and his international stats are more impressive than most. I have every respect for Carlton Cole, he is a fine player, but worthy of England status, I dunno?

The Aston Villa midfield is very closely knit, they are extremely good at working together. That is why I reckon three of them will play against spain, especially as Capello needs to try the players out. Although Villa have been recently playing a five man midfield lately so I don't know if he wants to do the same.

yeah, not the best squad really, but anyway, heres my starting 11:

GK: David James
DR: Glen Johnson
DC: John Terry
DC: Rio Ferdinand
DL: Ashely Cole
MR: David Beckham
MC: Micheal Carrick
MC: Gareth Barry
ML: Ashley Young
SC: Emile Heskey
SC: Carlton Cole