By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Goodbye, old friend (and f**k you, MSFT)

thetonestarr said:
NJ5 said:
thetonestarr said:
If the system's actually getting hot on the top or bottom, it's not going to matter one way or the other anyways. It shouldn't do that.

And even so, placing something on top of it would actually more likely act as a heatsink than anything else, and pull away the heat, since it's not blocking your airflow.

It's a simple matter of physics and computers, guys. The 360 is no different in these respects than the millions of systems prior.

Are you saying it's fine to block the ventilation holes on top of the console? And it's also fine to put another heat source right on top or below the console?

While you should never block any ventilation holes, those ones are mostly useless if you've got the two ends (HDD side and opposite) unblocked. I've tested them for airflow and it's incredibly minimal.

Additionally, I very, very much said nothing about another heat source being okay. You're an idiot if you run something else that creates heat while you're running your 36

I have that exact same cable box that he/she has, and that thing gets hotter than hell.  It sometimes will make the recorded shows mess up(sound cutting out, image messing up) due to over heating.

Around the Network

this thread stands as proof for how utterly oblivious and, nar i say, dipshitty, people can be.
Let's take an expensive piece of electronics, which has an infamous and well publicized history of overheating issues, and sandwich it between two other pieces of electronics... then make things even worse by shoving this electronic engineer's nightmare into an airflow challenged box, which ironically, is about the size the little frankenstien's coffin would be 'when' it dies for good.
and the best part.... whine like the irresponsible-it's not our fault-we don't pay attention turds we must be, and while we're at it, think we'll throw a f#@k MSFT out there even though they told us not to do this.
Kills me. (if you're wondering why that was was written third person plural, it's cause there's unfortunately millions of you out there)
@theonestar, people who try so hard to sound smart usually come off as just that, people trying real, real hard to sound smart.... "it's a simple matter of physics...."
please, if you were any dimmer, you'd be the lightbulb in my car's glove compartment. (which doesn't work by the way) You know, it's a wonder that, in a desperate search for further cost saving tricks, the engineers at MS didn't come up with your briliant little nugget..."uhhhh...you know.... just put something else ontop of your 360... see...uhhh....this will act as an additional heatsinker thing and help to mitigate the heating, as it were, on the uhhhh... inside of the xbox. I mean really, really good idea here folks, and, you know uhhhh.... you can really use just about anything you know, an old book, a shoe, a couple pieces of thickly sliced ham spread out in such a way to uhhhh... cover the entire topity of the uhhhh....machine there, as it were..."
Genius. Pure Genius.
(god i hate people sometimes)

madskillz said:
dolemit3 said:

The worst just happened:

After 1 1/2 years of hard service, this elite warrior couldn't take it any more and died. It's error code E71 and one red light in the bottom right corner. Now it's time to call up the funeral service (1-800-XBOX or something) and order the coffin.

E71: possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

--==Console Reset Codes==--
Clear All Installed Game Updates and Console Cache

1. Go to the "system" blade
  2. Select "memory"
  3. Press Y on the HD symbol
  4. Press X,X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X
  5. A message will appear saying: "Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?"
  6. Select Yes

Clear Any Failed system updates that cause the console to error.

1. With the console off, press and hold the sync up button (the small white one)
  2. While holding the sync button press the power button to turn on the console
  3. Continue to hold the sync button until the Console has booted up completely.
  4. During the boot process the console should clear any failed updates, allowing you to use it normally.

Could you please retype that in an East Indian accent?

"Man is born free but is everywhere in chains" - Rousseau

ha. I had E74 error back in December, did everything to survive it called Microsoft and told my 360 was only a year old, so happen my warranty was over.. repair fee $100.

So what I did, I opened my 360 and did the X-clamp mod to it and since then its been working better than when Microsoft build it..

My Trigger Happy Sixaxis controller

selnor said:
Solid_Raiden said:
mrstickball said:
Somehow, I don't think putting another electronic device directly on top of the Elite was a wise decision.

Somehow I don't think Microsoft making hardware that broke when other (even light) devices were set on top of them was a wise decision. But hey, I got the RROD and mine was on a shelf by itself.

And sorry about your Xbox man. I feel your pain. I thought the elite was suposed to be better hardware but it seems to be having a lot of problems lately. Thank god my new X-box hasn't shown any real problems. Aside from sounding like a Hoover and the failure rate the 360 is truly a great machine.

Hey Solid, if you have a HDD install games it becomes utterly noisless when playing games that way, and less frame loading issues in games like Fable 2.

OT: @OP major LOL. now you have RRoD. At least now you can get free fix :)))

It is godly when compared to how it was before, it is nearly as quiet as the PS3!!! Pity I can only install one game at a time, and no multi disc games (and no I am not going to shell out for a larger HDD, I have better things to spend my money on)

Sorry about the RRoD, I got my Xbox last June, and have been really paranoid about it breaking, so it sits on a table with nothig obstructing it in any way, I wouldn't think stacking is a really great idea with these boxes

Around the Network
Sevengen said:

this thread stands as proof for how utterly oblivious and, nar i say, dipshitty, people can be.
Let's take an expensive piece of electronics, which has an infamous and well publicized history of overheating issues, and sandwich it between two other pieces of electronics... then make things even worse by shoving this electronic engineer's nightmare into an airflow challenged box, which ironically, is about the size the little frankenstien's coffin would be 'when' it dies for good.
and the best part.... whine like the irresponsible-it's not our fault-we don't pay attention turds we must be, and while we're at it, think we'll throw a f#@k MSFT out there even though they told us not to do this.
Kills me. (if you're wondering why that was was written third person plural, it's cause there's unfortunately millions of you out there)
@theonestar, people who try so hard to sound smart usually come off as just that, people trying real, real hard to sound smart.... "it's a simple matter of physics...."
please, if you were any dimmer, you'd be the lightbulb in my car's glove compartment. (which doesn't work by the way) You know, it's a wonder that, in a desperate search for further cost saving tricks, the engineers at MS didn't come up with your briliant little nugget..."uhhhh...you know.... just put something else ontop of your 360... see...uhhh....this will act as an additional heatsinker thing and help to mitigate the heating, as it were, on the uhhhh... inside of the xbox. I mean really, really good idea here folks, and, you know uhhhh.... you can really use just about anything you know, an old book, a shoe, a couple pieces of thickly sliced ham spread out in such a way to uhhhh... cover the entire topity of the uhhhh....machine there, as it were..."
Genius. Pure Genius.
(god i hate people sometimes)

Thanks for trolling! Now, let's see you actually say something worthwhile instead of just telling me I'm a fool for actually knowing what I'm talking about. Because you obviously don't.

So far, you've just demonstrated that you didn't pay any attention at all to what I said. A cable box is made up of a large amount of metal, particularly the bottom side (unless the manufacturer really screwed up). What is a heatsink made of? Metal. Usually copper and aluminum, and sometimes steel.

What does the heatsink do? It absorbs the heat, pulling it away from the processor, ecause simple air doesn't do that. That's why they attach a heatsink to the processor, with the fan cooling the heatsink, not the processor. If this concept didn't work, then why on earth does EVERY SINGLE processor in use do that to cool? Use common sense.

Many, many times, the best way to cool something is to add some form of heatsink - whether it be a hunk of metal or a water tube - and pull it away from the thing needing cooling. That's what a cable box on top of a 360 will do. Obviously, that's not the best way to cool it - there are simpler, more effective manners of doing so - so obviously nobody's going to tell you do that to cool it. But the fact still stands that it works. Likely only for a few tenths of a degree, but it still does it.

The fact that you've gotten so worked up over this proves that you have absolutely no clue what you're saying, and you've pretty much just made yourself out to be the very person you said I was. Genius. Pure genius.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Its true metal absorb heat, That is if not generating heat itself like the CABLE BOX does.

Cable box (while plugged in) generates heat also transfers heat to anything it sits on..

The Cable Box is trying to get rid of heat so the Xbox 360, add does two and all they will do is exchange heat that only increase in temperatures to each other..

My Trigger Happy Sixaxis controller

damndl0ser said:
flagship said:
It'll be alright, my 360 finally RROD'ed 3 weeks ago, it just arrive back Thursday so the wait isn't terrible.

It took 3 weeks to get it back?  Where do you live Iraq? LOL

It took me under 10 days and that was during the Holidays when shipping times are longer.

The funny part is I live about 3 hours from Microsoft HQ, but for some reason they shipped it way down south to get fixed, if 10 days is the norm. I'm wondering if it got stuck on the loading dock in Kentucky during the big icestorm, it took over a week for UPS to ship it back once MS gave me a shipping #.

Mvp4eVa said:
Its true metal absorb heat, That is if not generating heat itself like the CABLE BOX does.

Cable box (while plugged in) generates heat also transfers heat to anything it sits on..

The Cable Box is trying to get rid of heat so the Xbox 360, add does two and all they will do is exchange heat that only increase in temperatures to each other..

Which is why you'd be a complete moron to run the two together, or near the same times. Obviously it's not going to absorb heat if it's generating its own.

Besides, there's zero reason to run them both at the same time, so that's practically a nonissue anyways. However, it does become an issue if you run the 360 directly after watching TV... but that's a rare situation as well so it's also not a big concern.

The point is, yeah, it's not the best of ideas to have it set up that way. But it's obviously not as big a deal as everybody's making it out to be. It's incredible how misinformed so many of you are.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I am glad this ended well. It is always nice to have people in the community to help (trolls aside) who will give pointers when issues arise. I like being able to come on here and ask for assistance regarding pc/360 ect issues and get intelligent answers. Hope your console stays on the up and up.