By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Console Wars abhor a tie

Louie said: Topic: I guess even if the Wii will sell most the competition can still sell 30 to 50 million consoles each. You can see it with DS and PSP: DS is selling like crazy but PSP is far from struggling it could manage to sell 15 million units in Japan alone and 20 million in the USA. So could the PS3. I guess the PS3 will sell about 50 million units worldwide till 2011 if Wií wins this generation. That would still be a decent number.
Whatever happened to the final console sales prediction thread? I think I finally have a good guess to post... Putting the PS3 at 48 million WW, btw...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

Don't discount how it draws players into the game. You feel like *your* bludgeoning that monster with a sword, rather than pressing a button to tell Link to do it. The bow is even more effective at drawing players into the game-world. This is especially true of first-person Wii games. E.g. in COD3, jabbing the Wiimote out to crack the German with your rifle is an a whole other level of visceral joy vs. taapping a button to do the same: it also becomes much more instinctive (i.e. there's a button for the same move on Wii, but what kind of poor-sport would use it!?! )

Nobody forced Sony to price out almost everyone with a $600(I wanna say $500 but 20 gb units are apparently being phased out) console.

PS3 WILL SELL ALOT MORE THAN WII. I LIKE MY PS3 BETTER, AND EVEN BETTER THAN MY WIFE. PS3s GONNA WIN

KwaadPS3ROCKSWII said: PS3 WILL SELL ALOT MORE THAN WII. I LIKE MY PS3 BETTER, AND EVEN BETTER THAN MY WIFE. PS3s GONNA WIN
Alias's aren't cool. Especially when they're for trolling purposes. This is your warning

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

stof said: KwaadPS3ROCKSWII said: PS3 WILL SELL ALOT MORE THAN WII. I LIKE MY PS3 BETTER, AND EVEN BETTER THAN MY WIFE. PS3s GONNA WIN Alias's aren't cool. Especially when they're for trolling purposes. This is your warning
That's not me. EDIT: You have my 100% approval to ban it. Get wii to check the IP, and cross refrence it. It's not me.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: That's not me. .
Oh I know. It's pretty obviously someone trying to troll you. But hey, everybody gets a warning. Now that he's been warned, if he tries it again I ban the Alias.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said: Kwaad said: That's not me. . Oh I know. It's pretty obviously someone trying to troll you. But hey, everybody gets a warning. Now that he's been warned, if he tries it again I ban the Alias.
ok. Just saying my side of the story. If I was to create a alias with Kwaad in the name it would be. KwaadPS3sux lol. Ok. I'm gonna go back to being good now. :P

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

You guys probabaly know all this, but Sony spent a LOT of extra money including Blu-Ray and it cost something like 900 or something like that to produce. By comparison, Xbox360 costs about 600 to make. They are selling at like 400, so they're losing 200 with every console they're selling. This leaves Sony in a bind. If they match MS and sell at 400, then it will take maybe 2 or 3 extra yesrs to make back their money (from game sales and also from falling prices of technology). Even as it stands now, people need to spend 300 bucks in games/blu-ray movies in order for sony to just break even. So it's either release at a high price and not go into as much debt, or release at a low price and take risk not making back your money before the next generation comes. So to spin this back to "console wars" that's what Sony has to consider when it wants to weigh price points/profits vs. marketshare

I think the various territories suggest a worldwide tie. Because, 360 is well on it's way to winning America, yet has no chance in Japan. Europe is like a three way tie projected at this point. Japan on the other hand looks to go heavily Wii. Actually, I think the other big question is whether the qoute un qoute "novelty" of Wii wears off, and it's sales slow. Personally, sorry for my trolling, but I think the Wii is a shit console, but that it doesn't matter, the price is low, people will buy it, and it turns out to be crap later, oh well too late they already have it. Laypeople and girls think motion control sounds awesome. It's really easy concept to grasp, and sounds really fun. So a ton of casuals will be attracted, even though in reality the motion control sucks. And it's $250 now, so if sales ever slack, they just cut the price even more. The machine is so cheap, they could probably go to $49 if they need to. I dont know, we'll see. Wii should be the worldwide winner easily. It has great opportunity to win in all three territories. 360 cant win in Japan (and has a hard time in Europe). PS3 otoh is already behind the 8-ball to 360 big time in America..the only caveat is if Wii novelty wears off. Here's the thing though, they sell to different markets, so I DO NOT think Wii sales really affect PS3/360. That's already proven really. The people who want 360/PS3 are going to be the male hardcore gamers. So 360/PS3 will always sell no matter how popular Wii becomes. Whereas, Ps3 and 360 directly compete against each other, and it's almost like one has to lose. That is different from the past. In the past for example, PS2 and GC and Xbox directly competed. A sale of one probably meant a loss of sale to another. If PS2 did really well, then GC and Xbox had to suffer. However if Wii does really well, PS3 and 360 dont have to suffer. The other thing setting up a three way tie is all the competitors are so strong. 360 has the GFX power to compete with PS3 plus the early start plus microsoft's dollars plus so many third parties plus the big install base lead. So it kind of cant lose. Wii is kind of a phenemonen like DS, so it kind of cant lose. PS3 has the huge playstation brand behind it, plus certain third party exclusives you cant get anywhere else, so it kind of cant lose. When all three cant lose..then all three will probably do pretty well. I do see 360 in a really strong position in America though, and may even win if Wii falters.