By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Console Wars abhor a tie

Twelve said: That's the problem; you're looking at the number "right now" before Sony has even fought back yet. The PS3 is just now getting by it's "launch".
So you believe Nintendo's going to take it sitting down while Sony fights back? Unlikely. You fail to mention that the wii is also getting by it's "launch." I also don't see why you're shedding negative light on the pricing. Yes, the Wii would not be as popular without the lower pricetag. Why state the obvious? The Wii already has the lower pricetag, and it will drop as sony or microsoft's price drops.

Yeah, I finally have a sig.

Around the Network

Twelve said: That's the problem; you're looking at the number "right now" before Sony has even fought back yet. The PS3 is just now getting by it's "launch". The Wii is a system that depends on it's pricetag and innovation. Without the pricetag, the Wii would never be as popular as it is, and unless developers can make software that takes advantage of that innovation...I don't see the Wii doing good for long. 12
I agree with you that developers need to take advantage of the wii remote (that is what your talking about when you say innovation, right?) for the system to reach its full potential. I also hope some developers realize that not every game needs to use the wii remote (some games are just better on a "normal" controller). I really don't see the harm in looking at the numbers right now. No one can see into the future. What we can do is look at what is going on NOW and try to make predictions (hopefully educated ones) about what is going to happen. The wii and the ps3 launched in america at the same time pratically so someone could also say that the wii is just getting by its "launch" (well the ps3 is not by its launch... it still needs to hit europe). I also agree with you that the wii is as popular as it is because of its pricetag. This isn't a bad thing btw. I am not really sure what to make of your "before Sony has even fought back yet" comment...

Link: The Wii is still ahead of the PS3 in terms of launch as the PS3 hasn't even launched in Europe or "worldwide"(as in not Japan/US) yet. I also don't see where you or euclid think I'm shedding negativity on the pricetag. I'm just stating it as the primary reason for its success. Euclid: When I say that Sony has as of yet not fought back, I'm referring to the fact that Sony has not as of yet had the kind of month that it's currently about to have. If you have not as of yet caught Sony's over-saturation of the media this month yet, then...look around. Let's just say that I think we'll be a WHOLE lot wiser about all of this in mid April. 12

While the VC and GameCube controllers are options for circumstances where developers really need all those buttons (Smash Bros will really push adoption of both for the Wii), I think Zelda is the perfect example of how to do a traditional game with the Wiimote: map common actions to simple movements that can be done as lazily or energetically as you want.

Twelve said: Link: The Wii is still ahead of the PS3 in terms of launch as the PS3 hasn't even launched in Europe or "worldwide"(as in not Japan/US) yet. I also don't see where you or euclid think I'm shedding negativity on the pricetag. I'm just stating it as the primary reason for its success. Euclid: When I say that Sony has as of yet not fought back, I'm referring to the fact that Sony has not as of yet had the kind of month that it's currently about to have. If you have not as of yet caught Sony's over-saturation of the media this month yet, then...look around. Let's just say that I think we'll be a WHOLE lot wiser about all of this in mid April. 12
Yeah... Really I have seen sony adds everywhere I look for the last few days. I havent seen a Wii one for over a month. Sony is really pushing God of War, and their pushing the PS3. This is sony's month. Question is how will they do this month? Will it effect the Wii? possibly. The wii National Availability: 15% is steadily going up. (not rapidly, steadily) for the first time since it's launch. Could the Wii possibly have passes demand already?

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

stewacide said: While the VC and GameCube controllers are options for circumstances where developers really need all those buttons (Smash Bros will really push adoption of both for the Wii), I think Zelda is the perfect example of how to do a traditional game with the Wiimote: map common actions to simple movements that can be done as lazily or energetically as you want.
Actually from what I've read... alot of people hate the fact you have to move your arm to swing the sword. It's like a button. there is no detail in it. You just jerk your hand. dont matter what way, or how. I was VERY dissapointed on that in zelda. I loved the pointer tho.

Kwaad said: stewacide said: While the VC and GameCube controllers are options for circumstances where developers really need all those buttons (Smash Bros will really push adoption of both for the Wii), I think Zelda is the perfect example of how to do a traditional game with the Wiimote: map common actions to simple movements that can be done as lazily or energetically as you want. Actually from what I've read... alot of people hate the fact you have to move your arm to swing the sword. It's like a button. there is no detail in it. You just jerk your hand. dont matter what way, or how. I was VERY dissapointed on that in zelda. I loved the pointer tho.
Well I can't imagine what's wrong with those people, because not only is the swordplay far more intuitive in Zelda for the Wii than ever before, it's infinitely *FUNNER*. It's an absolutely visceral experience squaring off against one of the later-game armoured knights in a drawn-out sword duel: you feel so involved in the action, even if you're movements are simply translated as a sequence of button presses. Also I find it *less* fatiguing than carpel-tunneling my hands with a gamepad for extended play (and I did more than one 13-hour Zelda marathon )... being also to position your hands independently however you live it also a very welcome change from traditional gamepads (some after-market 360 and PS3 controls are already out copying the Wiimote-nunchuck setup, lopping the controller in half so your hands can move freely) p.s. I hope they leave the controls exactly as-is for the next Wii-specific Zelda. I'm very happy with the trigger set-up (and without 1:1 sword control). Not to mention the pointer makes all the difference in the world for aimed weapons/tools.

Kwaad said: stewacide said: While the VC and GameCube controllers are options for circumstances where developers really need all those buttons (Smash Bros will really push adoption of both for the Wii), I think Zelda is the perfect example of how to do a traditional game with the Wiimote: map common actions to simple movements that can be done as lazily or energetically as you want. Actually from what I've read... alot of people hate the fact you have to move your arm to swing the sword. It's like a button. there is no detail in it. You just jerk your hand. dont matter what way, or how. I was VERY dissapointed on that in zelda. I loved the pointer tho.
Yes that´s true it is something like "digital" arm swinging... a bit annoying but I didn´t get bored of it. At least there is something to proof for the next Zelda on Wii - better graphics, better sound, and better control Topic: I guess even if the Wii will sell most the competition can still sell 30 to 50 million consoles each. You can see it with DS and PSP: DS is selling like crazy but PSP is far from struggling it could manage to sell 15 million units in Japan alone and 20 million in the USA. So could the PS3. I guess the PS3 will sell about 50 million units worldwide till 2011 if Wií wins this generation. That would still be a decent number.

stewacide said: Well I can't imagine what's wrong with those people, because not only is the swordplay far more intuitive in Zelda for the Wii than ever before, it's infinitely *FUNNER*. It's an absolutely visceral experience squaring off against one of the later-game armoured knights in a drawn-out sword duel: you feel so involved in the action, even if you're movements are simply translated as a sequence of button presses. Also I find it *less* fatiguing than carpel-tunneling my hands with a gamepad for extended play (and I did more than one 13-hour Zelda marathon )... being also to position your hands independently however you live it also a very welcome change from traditional gamepads (some after-market 360 and PS3 controls are already out copying the Wiimote-nunchuck setup, lopping the controller in half so your hands can move freely) p.s. I hope they leave the controls exactly as-is for the next Wii-specific Zelda. I'm very happy with the trigger set-up (and without 1:1 sword control). Not to mention the pointer makes all the difference in the world for aimed weapons/tools.
Well I would rather push a button than have to jerk my arm to swing the sword. Becuase it dosent matter wich way I jerk my arm. It is a 'motion' button I feel... and for how often you have to swing your sword... I dont like it. There is no added depth to the game. No added control. It is exactly like pushing a button... except you move the whole controller. I do love the pointer tho.

Okay... The monopoly discussion... Monopolies are generally bad, but in the games market, there is constant upheaval. There is always something new around the corner, Moore's Law always pushing the next thing our way, whether its massive graphical and power improvements or whole new interfaces. Though the strict 6-year cycle is somewhat unhealthy, its not feasible to go more than about 8-10 years before a new format arises which is more powerful, more streamlined, better designed, more capable, more accessable, etc, and by leaps and bounds. And so monopolies are fleeting, everyone knows it, and companies have to stay on their toes or else miss the next big thing. Second... Some in here are giving the PS3 every benefit of every doubt... 'Nuff said about that... Third... Gamecube launched for less than Wii did, and it didn't sell like hotcakes... It had a good launch in North America, and then it crawled to 20 million sold. So its not just the price which is causing Wii to sell: people are genuinely interested in games like Wii Sports.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.