By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone 2 VS Gears of War 2 through the eyes of a programmer

Deneidez said:
alephnull said:

That just goes to show you how badly organized this site is. Poor guy was on his way to happy Sony kingdom, made one wrong turn, and BAM! he ends up smack in the middle of an MS developer orgy. Don't blame him if he's a little brusque; if you had come to the party equiped with the wrong set of baseless supositions you'd be a little miffed also. If the title had been "... through the eyes of a C# programmer" much of this could have been avoided.

/me writes note to himself: When you see enraged fan apply same rule as with berserking barbarian, don't try to reason with him/her.

Well, on topic:

Through eyes of programmer(Thats me ^^) both games fail to impress game mechanics wise. Sure both of them look good, but they are really hollow from the inside. (And thats IMO)

1) Nobody that isn't under an nda has access to any relevant data.

2) I don't know how on topic it is that I'd rather play wesnoth than either of these games.

Around the Network

Great thread. I own a ps3 and have owned a 360. I love them both but I got sick of fixing my 360. To be honest I have only played gears 1 and after playing Killzone 2 I really don't think it demonstrates a huge graphical advancement. If anything I prefer the art direction of gears. Both look awesome though. I hate fanboys and as a gamer I will seek great expieriences through whatever means it can be delivered, whether it be Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or even fucking Coleco. Cheers and game on!  

consoloid said:

While playing it, I keept thinking I forgot to take out the zoom, but I wasnt even using it, then I realised that everthing is "zoomed" in or set closer than your standard shooter

=> the standard sight in K2 is so close up, like a pistol zoom in other games

it's a good trick, that gives you the impression everythings bigger and you get the feeling of being right in the mits of everything, imagine GOW2 zoomed in a bit, with all its details....

I suggest you watch the folowing videos in fullscreen, it gives a sentation of bigger and "zoomed" in...

COD4:

hhttp://www.videogamer.com/videos/call_of_duty_4_modern_warfare_gameplay_clip_2.html?playlistid=877

(they're two small vidoes one after the other, watch them fullsreen to get the K2 feeling (bigger'n closer), dont forget, while playing this on the 360, its absoluty fluid at 60 f/sec and no tearing)

K2:

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/killzone_2_visari_square_gameplay.html

(this is cool to, but it cooler somehow, because everthings a bit bigger, the screen and the "zoom" feeling, all the action is done somehow "close up", but its never at 60 f/sec)

GOW2:

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/gears_of_war_2_trailer_2.html

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/gears_of_war_2_trailer_3.html?playlistid=2292

(I put two videos of GOW2, because I couldnt find any other Videos in good qaulatiy and with mass enemies, they exist in the game, but not as good quality videos, again watch in in fullscreen, and imagine it a bit zoomed in, a bit close up and colser to the enemies and guns...)

K2 has some bettet animations and mor polygons in the backrounds than COD4 and evethings bigger but closer, COD4 has more colors and is more fluid and has bigger areas (and vegetion), GOW2 is a mix of bothe, but more details, much more details in the texters, and has more colors, when I show all three games to my sister, she said GOW2 looked by far the best and K2 the worst, I know that technically K2 seems to be for some of you the non plus ultra, but it lakes the fluid 60 F/sec of COD4 and the details of textur of GOW2 (even Unreal T 3 looks better than K2 if you ask me, just by the looks..technical physics and some animations dont make a game overall look better inless thats all what you want to see)

=> each game had to save "some GPU or CPU Power" in some places to have some more power and effects in other places

but saying that K2 looks like the best console shooter ever is wrong, it's technically good, but as flaws wich the others dont have and strenghts the others dont have

That was some of the biggest pieces of falsehoods to defile my eyes in a while.

Here is a behind the scenes developer walk-through of what resources are being used on the PS3 for Killzone 2.  One of the things he talks about is  how the ENTIRE city is STILL being rendered during the E3 2007 cut-scenes WITH troops and their AI fighting it out on the ground!  The dev kit shows ALL the RAM, SPU, GPU, and CPU usage for the scene.  It's VERY impressive.

Hello, people I'm a new guy here :).

First off I'd like to commend your post for at least backing up your claims. And I agree with you that KZ2 shines because of its art design, including its monochrome aesthetics. But in my opinion what makes it stand out are the animations. The game has really smooth animations. As a level designer I find KZ2 to be very bland in level design, it reminds me of level design from PS2 games to be honest. I am not saying that the game sucks, I've played it and it is a fun shooter in its simplistic form, but nothing revolutionary as a lot of people claim it is.

On the other hand I have only played a snippet of GOW2, but I own GoW1 on PC.

But this topic is not about level design , it is about art direction and technology. So the topic at hand is UE3 vs KZ2 engine(I cant find the name of KZ2's engine.) GoW and KZ are very similar in art design, destroyed industrial areas, destroyed city areas, clausterphobic interior corridors, and shades of grey to be general.  However I think KZ2 has more in common with GOW1 than GOW2 as far as color pallette. Epic extended their color pallete for GOW2 and it is a great improvement over GOW1.

With all of that said any graphics / game engine comparisons are misguided when they do not include the current top contenders  including Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Call of Juarez,  STALKER CS, Gran Turismo 5, and Mirrors Edge when it comes to graphical comparisons.

Specific game vs spefic game is pretty limited.

Here is the end all proof the OP was speaking non-sense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTvYPiEi4eU There is almost a full generational leap between these two games. Anyone with eyes will see the HUGE difference between the two games. Plus, they don't even talk about the big difference animation, amount of objects on screen, or the audio.

Around the Network

this is a bit off-topic but you should try playing RE5(or even FEAR2) on your 360 set in low resolution(640x480 widescreen)

i'm thinking how KZ2 would look like without the blur though the physics do look impressive

The only time blur is applied is when you, or something you're on, move(s) (to simulated speed) in Killzone 2.

Here are the numbers as reported by our very own VG Charts..
Kill Zone 2        1.37m
Gears Of War 2         4.77m
What is the point of this argument, oh now I remember....I'm supposed to pick..I have played both...KZ2 on my little brother's PS3 and GoW2 on my 360...GoW2 wins because the elements in it's campaign are way more complex to develop...also...KZ2 is a completely new engine and was in development way longer so why is it only marginally better?? (if it is..I don't think it is.) any way....I would like for all Sony fans to stop it...just stop your charge to console war victory and start buying games...and Call of Duty 4 does not count...I mean seriously!!! Lost Planet was not worth your time?...and thank you for a great comparison and unbiased..only thing i hated was the the first GoW2 pic you chose was the redux of the old multiplayer GridLock Stage but you apologize for that...

Call of Duty 4 sales as reported by VG charts
PS3 4.19m
360 7.25m

I guess all those other Ps3 owners use it as a BlueRay movie watcher...

Kill Zone 2 should of sold way more by now..even if the end result is that most people think KZ2 is better looking game the numbers don't add up...

^^ LOL ahahahaha you again....you just don't stop about the sales argument do you?? this thread ain't even about which sold more and yet your here bringing that this game sold more than KZ2 therefor it's a failure...maybe cause all that you can argue against this game is sales ay?