By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone 2 VS Gears of War 2 through the eyes of a programmer

I agree that this is a good post. I believe that more posts of this type are needed, but consider what you are comparing and contrasting. You did not work on either game, your judgements are just that, judgements. In the eyes of Guerilla game they may not have thought vegitation and such was a necessity. On the other hand, one of the most beautiful games this generation came on the ps3. I am talking about Uncharted. That game has plenty of lush environments. So, it seems as though everybody lets their personal opinion affect their view.

Around the Network
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

You do realize that there is NOTHING on screen but one character and explosions, right?  Secondly, EVERY explosion is the same!  It's the same exact patterns being displayed one on top of the other.  I would say those explosions are HIGHLY scripted and not based on accurate physics.  Do you think that people catching on fire from bullets is based on physics?  That's NOT realism.

BTW, why are you showing a multiplatform PC game that's not even a part of the discussion?

Sure explosions are same, but the amount of stuff on the screen when they happen is the main point. Uh, didn't I explain that fire thing. Multiplatform... *facepalm* , I know that arguing with religious fanatics is fruitless and I can see similarity to this conversation so I will leave you into your happy Sony kingdom for now.

Edit:

K2 graphics put nearly all 1st party titles to shame, with the exception of uncharted.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Deneidez said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

You do realize that there is NOTHING on screen but one character and explosions, right?  Secondly, EVERY explosion is the same!  It's the same exact patterns being displayed one on top of the other.  I would say those explosions are HIGHLY scripted and not based on accurate physics.  Do you think that people catching on fire from bullets is based on physics?  That's NOT realism.

BTW, why are you showing a multiplatform PC game that's not even a part of the discussion?

Sure explosions are same, but the amount of stuff on the screen when they happen is the main point. Uh, didn't I explain that fire thing. Multiplatform... *facepalm* , I know that arguing with religious fanatics is fruitless and I can see similarity to this conversation so I will leave you into your happy Sony kingdom for now.

That just goes to show you how badly organized this site is. Poor guy was on his way to happy Sony kingdom, made one wrong turn, and BAM! he ends up smack in the middle of an MS developer orgy. Don't blame him if he's a little brusque; if you had come to the party equiped with the wrong set of baseless supositions you'd be a little miffed also. If the title had been "... through the eyes of a C# programmer" much of this could have been avoided.

Around the Network

@jetrii

Your are a programmer ?!!!!!! Reallly?

God , i hope your game/product sells well .

alephnull said:

That just goes to show you how badly organized this site is. Poor guy was on his way to happy Sony kingdom, made one wrong turn, and BAM! he ends up smack in the middle of an MS developer orgy. Don't blame him if he's a little brusque; if you had come to the party equiped with the wrong set of baseless supositions you'd be a little miffed also. If the title had been "... through the eyes of a C# programmer" much of this could have been avoided.

/me writes note to himself: When you see enraged fan apply same rule as with berserking barbarian, don't try to reason with him/her.

Well, on topic:

Through eyes of programmer(Thats me ^^) both games fail to impress game mechanics wise. Sure both of them look good, but they are really hollow from the inside. (And thats IMO)

monsterone said:
I agree that this is a good post. I believe that more posts of this type are needed, but consider what you are comparing and contrasting. You did not work on either game, your judgements are just that, judgements. In the eyes of Guerilla game they may not have thought vegitation and such was a necessity. On the other hand, one of the most beautiful games this generation came on the ps3. I am talking about Uncharted. That game has plenty of lush environments. So, it seems as though everybody lets their personal opinion affect their view.

There are plants in Killzone 2.  Of course, one would have to view or play the game in order to know that.  The documentation I provided isn't opinion.  However, the stuff the OP laid down here was.

Deneidez said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

Again, there is absolutely NOTHING on screen (blank white background) when that Crysis demo is done.  There is a similar demo like that for the PS3, but it has about 7+ column of bodies falling...not 1 or 2 columns.

This is not about "Sony kingdom".  It's about being accurate.  That's all...period.

While playing it, I keept thinking I forgot to take out the zoom, but I wasnt even using it, then I realised that everthing is "zoomed" in or set closer than your standard shooter

=> the standard sight in K2 is so close up, like a pistol zoom in other games

it's a good trick, that gives you the impression everythings bigger and you get the feeling of being right in the mits of everything, imagine GOW2 zoomed in a bit, with all its details....

I suggest you watch the folowing videos in fullscreen, it gives a sentation of bigger and "zoomed" in...

COD4:

hhttp://www.videogamer.com/videos/call_of_duty_4_modern_warfare_gameplay_clip_2.html?playlistid=877

(they're two small vidoes one after the other, watch them fullsreen to get the K2 feeling (bigger'n closer), dont forget, while playing this on the 360, its absoluty fluid at 60 f/sec and no tearing)

K2:

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/killzone_2_visari_square_gameplay.html

(this is cool to, but it cooler somehow, because everthings a bit bigger, the screen and the "zoom" feeling, all the action is done somehow "close up", but its never at 60 f/sec)

GOW2:

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/gears_of_war_2_trailer_2.html

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/gears_of_war_2_trailer_3.html?playlistid=2292

(I put two videos of GOW2, because I couldnt find any other Videos in good qaulatiy and with mass enemies, they exist in the game, but not as good quality videos, again watch in in fullscreen, and imagine it a bit zoomed in, a bit close up and colser to the enemies and guns...)

K2 has some bettet animations and mor polygons in the backrounds than COD4 and evethings bigger but closer, COD4 has more colors and is more fluid and has bigger areas (and vegetion), GOW2 is a mix of bothe, but more details, much more details in the texters, and has more colors, when I show all three games to my sister, she said GOW2 looked by far the best and K2 the worst, I know that technically K2 seems to be for some of you the non plus ultra, but it lakes the fluid 60 F/sec of COD4 and the details of textur of GOW2 (even Unreal T 3 looks better than K2 if you ask me, just by the looks..technical physics and some animations dont make a game overall look better inless thats all what you want to see)

=> each game had to save "some GPU or CPU Power" in some places to have some more power and effects in other places

but saying that K2 looks like the best console shooter ever is wrong, it's technically good, but as flaws wich the others dont have and strenghts the others dont have