By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii game budgets 1/4 of HD budgets according to EA

The math in the OP is flawed. But the premise is correct.

0.25*Development Cost(PS3/Xbox 360)

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

What is all this "For an install base of _____ the game is not doing well" Then what God of War sold like crap since it only sold about 2 million to a base of 120 million? That's illogical thinking.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

mike_intellivision said:
The math in the OP is flawed. But the premise is correct.

0.25*Development Cost(PS3/Xbox 360) <= Development Cost (Wii)
<= 0.33*Development Cost(PS3/Xbox 360)

(Mathematical expression for saying development cost on the Wii is between one-quarter and one-third of the cost on the Xbox 360 and PS3).

Of course, there are more elements in Total Cost

Total Cost = Development Cost + Production Cost + Advertising Cost + distribution costs.

DC is described above.
PC should be about the same. After all, a disk and a box are a disk and box.
AC is highly variable -- though it is often (but not always) appears to be more for the PS3 and Xbox 360 games. (At least it seems to be more present for them).

Also, revenue from retail is less for the Wii.

0.67*Game Price (Xbox 360/PS3) <= Game Price (Wii) <= 0.83*Game Price (Xbox 360/PS3).

This is saying that big games are between $40 and $50 on the Wii (think FF:CC for a $40 title) and are $60 on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Given all of these variables -- it probably takes around half the amount of sales of a Wii game AT FULL PRICE ($40-$50 -- not discounted to $20) to cover the same level of game development, as compared to a PS3 or Xbox 360 game.

Thus, the Wii is a good bet. But it is not always a sure bet -- compared to the other consoles.

Mike from Morgantown

Distribution costs are another significant expense. It costs more per game to ship fewer titles more often than it costs to ship 40-60 titles at once to a store. When the game gets there it has to compete for shelf space with "market development funds" or it has to justify a good position with continued sales and with low development there are a tonne of games pouring in gunning for that shelf space.

I'll put it in bullet points to make it easier:

• Costs more per title to ship with smaller shipments.
  • Greater competition for shelf space from other titles.
  • Retailers are hesitant to re-order games that are selling slowly

Thats compared to HD console titles which tend to sell quickly and justify their shelf positioning. Which is why they get prime billing in the stores.

Tease.

World at War has not been a huge success on Wii. The game was pretty heavily advertised with a Wii-specific TV commercial. TV ain't cheap.

If it creeps to 1m sales, that's great, but all this sketchy math doesn't make it a huge success even then.

I'd wager in the case of a down-port with missing features like WaW, the dev costs could even be less than 1/4th of the 360 + PS3 costs, but the advertising costs for the Wii version were probably higher than the dev costs, and possibly more than 1/3rd of the 360 + PS3 ads.

But Ricciwhatever is just throwing out a ballpark figure anyways. I wouldn't trust any "math" done with a ballpark figure thrown out to explain to investors why increased Wii development will help EA reduce costs. And that's the only point of this number.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

The exclusive TV ads were very limited. They had a far larger advertising campaign for the HD consoles.

Wait, did you just suggest that if (not if, when) WaW hits 1 million, it won't be a huge success for Activision?

Activision gets ~$20 per unit sold. At 1 million units, that's $20 million. Are you about to tell me that Activision spent $20 million in development and advertising costs on Wii?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

I was about to write something similar to what Viper pointed out. Also ads for the Wii versus the HD versions were heavily titled towards the HD versions. Even shelf space and in game advertising, its not even close.

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I'm curious who everyone is talking about when they speak of the unnamed "developer" on this site. There re a couple of them, from what I noticed, and all of them seem to be full of it.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

ChichiriMuyo said:
I'm curious who everyone is talking about when they speak of the unnamed "developer" on this site. There re a couple of them, from what I noticed, and all of them seem to be full of it.

To the best of my gathering they're talking about Groucho. They're just beating around the bush for some reason.

OOoooh Khuutra threw down the gauntlets! lol.

Arius Dion said:
OOoooh Khuutra threw down the gauntlets! lol.

Well I'm not saying that I agree with them, just that Groucho is the one who puts forth that things aren't that simple and that developing Wii games isn't necessarily cheaper or more profitable than HD games.