By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii game budgets 1/4 of HD budgets according to EA

Garnett said:
puffy said:
Another interesting bit of sales info:

CoD: WaW on Wii has sold between 600 - 900k according to different sources so anywhere between 2 - 3 million in direct apples to apples comparison to the HD games.

360 is at 4.7 Million
PS3 is at 2.77 Million

CoD: WaW on Wii is actually doing quite nicely

No its not,its doing awful really,for a install base of what? 45 million this game hasnt even sold a million copies yet? Lmao they cant ignore the install base but they install base can ignore them.

With no advertising and a complete lack of shelf space everywhere except America? Yes it's doing fine

Around the Network
puffy said:
Garnett said:
puffy said:
Another interesting bit of sales info:

CoD: WaW on Wii has sold between 600 - 900k according to different sources so anywhere between 2 - 3 million in direct apples to apples comparison to the HD games.

360 is at 4.7 Million
PS3 is at 2.77 Million

CoD: WaW on Wii is actually doing quite nicely

No its not,its doing awful really,for a install base of what? 45 million this game hasnt even sold a million copies yet? Lmao they cant ignore the install base but they install base can ignore them.

With no advertising and a complete lack of shelf space everywhere except America? Yes it's doing fine

I seen advertising for the Wii version,what this complete lack of shelf space?

It means I walk into EB games and find posters for PS3/360 version with a shelf full and stands that are devoted to the HD versions in the middle of the store but when I go to the Wii area I find 3 or 4 copies at the bottom :)

puffy said:

It means I walk into EB games and find posters for PS3/360 version with a shelf full and stands that are devoted to the HD versions in the middle of the store but when I go to the Wii area I find 3 or 4 copies at the bottom :)

Thats because the HD version sell good,and on top of that it has the COD name on it!,That alone should sell people and with a 45 mill install base it should of been  up there in no time.

Garnett said:
puffy said:

Thats because the HD version sell good,and on top of that it has the COD name on it!,That alone should sell people and with a 45 mill install base it should of been up there in no time.

Beacause the Wii version is very rarely found.... Reread what Puffy said...

Also why should a franchise that left the Wii for HD exclusiveness have any effect on wheather Wii owners like the brandname? And after the CoD3 fiasco on Wii, I doubt anyone would want another CoD again!

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network
Garnett said:
puffy said:

Thats because the HD version sell good,and on top of that it has the COD name on it!,That alone should sell people and with a 45 mill install base it should of been  up there in no time.

Number one: CoD became massive after Modern Warfare (which Wii didn't have)

Number two: The HD versions sell well due to the above fact but also because they are pushed at retail far more than the Wii version.

Number three: The Wii version is gimped and everybody knows it, no proper co-op, no zombie mode, more limited online features.

Number four: It's a FPS, the target demographic is on the HD consoles.. The multi console owners would always get the non-gimped HD version. If it was Wii exclusive and had fixed all the above issues then it would have sold a lot more (not gimped, was an established brand on Wii and had the advertising the HD versions had)

puffy said:
Garnett said:
puffy said:

Thats because the HD version sell good,and on top of that it has the COD name on it!,That alone should sell people and with a 45 mill install base it should of been up there in no time.

Number one: CoD became massive after Modern Warfare (which Wii didn't have)

Number two: The HD versions sell well due to the above fact but also because they are pushed at retail far more than the Wii version.

Number three: The Wii version is gimped and everybody knows it, no proper co-op, no zombie mode, more limited online features.

Number four: It's a FPS, the target demographic is on the HD consoles.. The multi console owners would always get the non-gimped HD version. If it was Wii exclusive and had fixed all the above issues then it would have sold a lot more (not gimped, was an established brand on Wii and had the advertising the HD versions had)

1-CoD was huge before 4,4 just helped out alot.,Were not talking about 4 were talking bout WaW.

2.If the game did sell well then retails would put more games on shelfs,who wants a bunch of games sitting around collecting dust when the other HD versions are selling alot more.

3-I agree

4-I agree.

I expect huge profits for EA coming up this year. With the small cost of developing those big time games they have been doing on the Wii, They finally have seen the light.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Garnett said:
puffy said:

Except that the previous version (COD4) which established the COD name as a big franchise wasn't even on the Wii and the only previous COD on the Wii (COD3) was a rubbish game.  So as big as the COD name may be on PS360 it is certainly not the case on Wii.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Khuutra said:
NJ5 said:
Viper1 said:
NJ5 said:
Rather interesting considering we've had a supposed developer in this forum repeatedly telling up this is not true.

Exactly what came to my mind. I know we've both told him the art assets jack up the costs significantly.

I suppose he's going to tell us John is wrong?

On topic: Haven't we already known this since 2006?

Not just John but THQ, Polyphony Digital and Capcom... I'm not going to fetch the links now unless someone asks for them, but all those developers/publishers said HD development is more expensive. They just hadn't specifically said how much more, AFAIK.

Would this vary much from studio to studio?

Not much.  Salary rates would be the biggest differentiator.

The rEVOLution is not being televised