By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii game budgets 1/4 of HD budgets according to EA

megaman79 said:
good work pufster, now we got some actual figures on Wii development cost.

Indeed we do which means we now have some evidence for lesser selling Wii games making a tidy profit..

I mean Resident Evil: UC probably made more money than Metal Gear Solid 4 which is quite amazing

Around the Network

Rather interesting considering we've had a supposed developer in this forum repeatedly telling up this is not true.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Another interesting bit of sales info:

CoD: WaW on Wii has sold between 600 - 900k according to different sources so anywhere between 2 - 3 million in direct apples to apples comparison to the HD games.

360 is at 4.7 Million
PS3 is at 2.77 Million

CoD: WaW on Wii is actually doing quite nicely

puffy said:

CoD: WaW on Wii has sold between 600 - 900k according to different sources so anywhere between 2 - 3 million in direct apples to apples comparison to the HD games.

360 is at 4.7 Million
PS3 is at 2.77 Million

Okay now this shit is going to get dangerous, I don't think you want to go down this road.

Khuutra said:
puffy said:

360 is at 4.7 Million
PS3 is at 2.77 Million

Okay now this shit is going to get dangerous, I don't think you want to go down this road.

But this is how we get people to notice! xD

I agree my 'maths' probably doesn't work out... Sounds good though

Around the Network
puffy said:

I agree my 'maths' probably doesn't work out... Sounds good though

No, I think you are close enough for rock 'n roll.

If the Wii version was 1/4 the production cost: (600 - 900k) x 4 = 2.4 - 3.6 million
If the Wii version was 1/3 the production cost: (600 - 900k) x 3 = 1.8 - 2.7 million

Of course, there are likely many other factors that should be considered, but as a "seat of the pants" calculation it is kind of fun. Edit: I didn't calculate for the difference in unit price. Maybe you did and that is why our numbers are different.

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

puffy said:

According to EA boss John Riccitiello a Wii game typically costs EA as much as one quarter as much as a typical HD game.

" Secondly, development is typically a third to a fourth as much for a Wii game then it is for a PS3 or an Xbox 360 game"

To put this into some perspective for people.. The combined sales of Dead Space on PS3 and 360 adds up to 1.49 Million copies according to VGChartz (PC sales not avaliable) 

If Dead Space cost EA 1/3 on Wii than it did on the HD formats then it only needs to sell 500,000 - 600,000 to make the same money back.

@ puffy )

developement costs aren't all the costs of a game

there is licensing fees, production, marketing and shipping cocts which all should be about the same on the Wii as they are on HD consoles and then there is the publisher/dev revenue per copy, which should be smaller on the Wii, because games are cheaper

the sentence at the end doesn't seem to take any of those factors into consideration

NJ5 said:
Rather interesting considering we've had a supposed developer in this forum repeatedly telling up this is not true.

Exactly what came to my mind.  I know we've both told him the art assets jack up the costs significantly.

I suppose he's going to tell us John is wrong?

On topic:  Haven't we already known this since 2006?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

How much do Wii games retail for, I know its cheaper than PS360 so that must affect profits.

Viper1 said:

Haven't we already known this since 2006?

I think we thought it was half the costs for a typical game rather than a third to a quarter.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down