By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Official Halo Wars Review Thread

Barozi said:
So wait, have you written that review ?

Gamer 2.0 - 8.7
Multiplayer Report - 9.5
PlayTM - 81%

Yeah. I am a video game reviewer/blogger at the Houston Chronicle. It will run in print before release, hopefully.

I gave it a 4.25 out of 5.

Please add it to your list - Houston Chronicle. I have mirrored the content on Duke City Gamerz.

Around the Network

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/162416.asp
Score: 93

read the article - it's good.

madskillz said:

Please add it to your list - Houston Chronicle. I have mirrored the content on Duke City Gamerz.

Done.

added :)

Barozi said:
madskillz said:

Done.

added :)

Thanks for making Skillz look like a pro! I think MS is gonna put my review on Halowars.com too. Last time a review or a link made a Web site was Fallout 3.

Looking like the game is gonna settle in around 82%. Pretty much what I predicted.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
Looking like the game is gonna settle in around 82%. Pretty much what I predicted.

Recalculated, because I used rounded values whenever I found a new review.

New average is now exactly 82.9% :)

Good summary Barozi.
A few days ago I asked myself where are all the HW reviews.

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value..."

Alan Greenspan, 1967

Phobos said:
Good summary Barozi.

There was a review embargo until yesterday.

Phobos said:
Good summary Barozi.

The print embargo was earlier than the online one. The print embargo was Feb. 10 - but online was Feb. 20th. I begged Edelman, MS's PR firm, to post the review earlier and they wouldn't budge - said I could post a preview, but not a review until the 20th.

Overall, the controls are what knocked it out of 9-10 status. Your forces can get clumped together and select a unit or two to move can require you to move several units to get them moving. Replay the demo and try to move units that are close together. The unit AI is good in combat - not great (they should know to take cover and not expose themselves to hostile fire) but when you give an order, they don't know how to find an alternative route.

For me, it lowered the score some, but it's still a very good game.

On a side note ... here's a spoiler ... there's a mission where you have to scrub the Spirit of Fire free of the Flood - while fighting off those pesky robot drones. You have pretty much unlimited resources to build turrets and even get a chance to use the super exoskeleton. You have to check on the turrets often because the drones will hit them and you'll have to rebuild them - but it takes a while for the turrets to come online and the drones will destroy it while it's building. Way cool mission.

This game is getting better review scores than I expected.