By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA conference call - core titles coming to Wii, big support coming to Wii

cool, cant wait too try dead space on the wii.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

You also have to factor in marketing. Development costs aside, Gears of War had one of the biggest and most successful marketing campaigns ever. I remember during the holidays seeing the mad world commercial over and over, and never getting tired of it. I've never once seen a Red Steel commercial.

Battlefield Heroes for the Wii would make a lot of sense.

dib8rman said:
I don't follow the development of games on MS platform... Gears 1 cost 7 million, I'm not sure what the question is from that actually, good catch. It be because Unreal Engine 3 was created by the guys who made Gears, but I may be mistaken on that - I confuse those companies very easily as they all are the same to me. (Constantly trying to sell their engines to anyone who's willing to buy/middleware) I believe Gears worked with Unreal Engine 3, while Ubi licensed the use of Ue2.5, now this is just memory now so I could be off, but last time I checked licensing that engine isn't cheap. But I'm almost positive it couldn't have cost Ubi an near 10 million just to use that Engine.

Anyway that 1:5 ratio isn't fair actually, because it only works in a few cases, and the one case it was intended to express was only to give a rough understanding of rate of investment per dollar, the end result could be less depending on how long and how intense production is.

Also if your talking about Gears 2... then I can say that they just recycled tools to simplify production. This means the only thing they'd have to spend time on is bugs and content.

Well, Epic claimed that Gears of war cost "around $10 Million" to develop while having large portions of the work done in China, while Ubisoft claimed that Red-Steel cost 12 Million (IIRC) to develop and most of the work was done in Montreal ... In other words, the savings of developing games in China offsets the increased cost in developing HD games.

Where EA f&*ked up big time was with Rock Band 2. If they had released the Wii version alongside the 360 version and before the Wii version of GHWT, I think they would have had a much more successful quarter.

I doubt they would make that mistake again.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
You also have to factor in marketing. Development costs aside, Gears of War had one of the biggest and most successful marketing campaigns ever. I remember during the holidays seeing the mad world commercial over and over, and never getting tired of it. I've never once seen a Red Steel commercial.

Actually, it had a moderate marketing budget but they wasted it:

whatever said:
Where EA f&*ked up big time was with Rock Band 2. If they had released the Wii version alongside the 360 version and before the Wii version of GHWT, I think they would have had a much more successful quarter.

You would think after the first RB they would have learned their lesson.

FishyJoe said:
whatever said:

You would think after the first RB they would have learned their lesson.

Yeah.  True.  Maybe they won't learn, but a loss like they had last quarter can certainly shift your priorities.

"Half of our emphasis in terms of title count." What does that mean in practical terms?

They also said they are cutting back to 125 SKUs of 50 total titles for the next fiscal year. http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2937

So if that means they will have 25 Wii games in fiscal 2010... Is that a big deal? How many did they have in fiscal 2009? I count about 19 going by Wikipedia's list.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
"Half of our emphasis in terms of title count." What does that mean in practical terms?

They also said they are cutting back to 125 SKUs of 50 total titles for the next fiscal year. http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2937

So if that means they will have 25 Wii games in fiscal 2010... Is that a big deal? How many did they have in fiscal 2009? I count about 19 going by Wikipedia's list.

Forget quantity, this makes it seem like quality will increase...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957