By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - This is why I hate next-gen movie formats

So I was looking around Amazon at a few things and happened to look at the Heroes Season 1 DVD's.  Here's what I found (all regular prices):

Heroes Season 1 [DVD]: $59.98
Heroes Season 1 [HD DVD]: $99.98

That's a $40 difference.  Now I understand that one of the reasons that seasons of shows are more expensive than a normal DVD is because there's more content.  I assume there's also a small increase in price because there are multiple discs involved.  I assume this because single disc seasons are always cheaper and 6 discs seasons are almost always more expensive.  Part of that is because of content but another part, I assume, is because of discs.

Now here's my problem.  HD DVD's have more storage than DVD's yet both sets have 7 discs.  Even if they had to put the entire series on two discs, that would be a huge plus.  I wouldn't have to deal with so many discs and they could lower the price to something reasonable instead of having to pay for 5-6 unneeded HD DVD's.  Crap like this is one of the many reasons why I won't even consider next gen formats yet.  

Even if you try to say, oh, it's because it's HD DVD, not Bluray, well have a look at Nip/Tuck season 4:

Nip/Tuck Season 4 [DVD]: $59.98
Nip/Tuck Season 4 [HD DVD]: $79.98
Nip/Tuck Season 4 [Blu-ray]: $79.98

In this case, at least the DVD version has 5 discs and the HD ones have 4 discs but the price difference is still insane.  Just give me a single disc, let me have at least the same price, and give me a reason to want to upgrade to a HD format.  This crap is just re-damn-diculous.  

Around the Network

They are doing a fair amount of added bonus for the HD DVD release. It's not an exact replica of the DVD release but in hi-def.
Besides, 5 DVDs = 42.5 GB (8.5*5). Last I checked, HD DVD can't hold that much and you're asking for hi def which is going to take up more room.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

If you would have bothered to read the post, I mentioned that even 2 is better than 7. Also, I doubt the added bonuses for the HD formats and the feature will fill up 4-7 of either format.

-edit-
Also, remember that those bonus features (deleted scenes, bloopers, making of, ect) are rarely in HD so they won't take up that much room at all.

You know, as someone who really wasn't interested in the high def DVD formats, one aspect of high def superiority I did concede was having far fewer disks when it came to TV seasons... Guess I was wrong.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Yeah the price of the individual movies is the ridiculous part to me. I've never understood how people can justify spending that much more per film plus so much for a player. I even have a 42" plasma and I won't pay it. I have HD channels on satellite and TiVo, which is enough for me for now. Call me when I can get a movie on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for under 20 bucks new, and then I'll buy a player.

Around the Network

I should also mention that when I started reading this I did assume that the HD format ones would be on a single disc or at the very most 2 discs. After getting about 1/3 way through the post I decided to just make sure that they were all on one disc and then saw they kept the same number of discs and that just pisses me off more.

At first I was just pissed that they upped the price for no reason because they could since I thought it should actually be cheaper but now I'm just unhappy about the whole thing. I agree stof, less discs was something that enticed me but this is just bullshit that they still make you deal with up to 7 discs when there is absolutely no need.

Oh, and ceres, they don't fill up every DVD as full as they absolutely can. There isn't enough room for 5 episodes, but there is room for 4 episodes plus a good amount of time of other features.

The actual disks themselves costs pennies to create my friend, at least for DVD's HD-DVD's cant cost that much more.

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

Wow that's ridiculous.

They probably know people will pay the money because it's HD...which sucks. There are people out there that just want the shiny HD movies and will pay more because they think it's worth more...

Shame too...if the HD versions of the shows were cheaper they'd get a big boost and growth in HD sales...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

twesterm said:

I assume there's also a small increase in price because there are multiple discs involved. I assume this because single disc seasons are always cheaper and 6 discs seasons are almost always more expensive. Part of that is because of content but another part, I assume, is because of discs.

Now here's my problem. HD DVD's have more storage than DVD's yet both sets have 7 discs. Even if they had to put the entire series on two discs, that would be a huge plus. I wouldn't have to deal with so many discs and they could lower the price to something reasonable instead of having to pay for 5-6 unneeded HD DVD's. Crap like this is one of the many reasons why I won't even consider next gen formats yet.

Just to nitpick here, but the reason they are coming out with the HD version of the show is not to fit it on 1 or 2 discs, it's to make the show... High Definition, which means it takes up a lot more space.  The only way they could fit the whole show on one disc is to do it at the lower standard resolution that DVD offers.

right? 

You Spoony Bard!

And in case people haven't seen it, Amazon already has a preorder up for $70. You should never be paying MSRP.

http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-Season-1-HD-DVD/dp/B000QTD5TS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7992930-8849666?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1187758062&sr=8-1

Can get the regular DVD for under $40, too.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.