By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official July (USA) NPD Thread (Data should be in by 6:30 PM August 23)

Just answer me one thing then... Assuming THIS considerable failure on tracking (but sure it will improve, I'm just considerating the facts) the "Wii domination" is stronger than it was before? Nice...

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Around the Network

I'm still catching up on things (just got back), but KruzeS' numbers add up (using absolute value) to 92% difference between NPD across 7 platforms - which is a 13.14% difference from NPD (on average) per platform.

Last month was 14%.  The difference this month is numbers were both more and less accurate than last month.  Frankly, given the data coverage Vgchartz has, you should only worry if the average discrepency starts increasing (since we are still adding new sources).  In March the average discrepency was 2x what it is now.  If the data keeps improving like it has for the past few months, it should dwindle to under 10% on average each month.  At that point it should flatline as the rules of diminishing returns begins to catch up with us.

I have yet yo compare software though.l

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Wow im very impressed by the Wii's performance for July.

"Everyone else see's the Joker laugh; only Harley has ever seen him cry."- Arleen Sorkin

In an hour of Darkness a blind man is
the best guide. In an age of Insanity
look to the madman to show the way.
- - Warhammer 40,000 rule book

TheSource,

Looking forward to you bringing it all together for an analysis.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

TheSource said: (...)

That depends on how you look at it. Problem is, this time the errors concentrated on the best selling consoles, which should be "easier" to track. In that sense the ratio of "units in error" went up from 12% to 16%.

Don't get me wrong. As long as it keeps hovering around 15% it's fine by me for what this is. Specially on a peculiar month such as this one (I'm honestly having a hard time believing NPD this time around). Plus hopefully, as you point out, it will drop to around 10% as you improve, before diminishing returns kicks in. But I sure wouldn't average those ratios like you did.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network
KruzeS said:
TheSource said:

(...)

That depends on how you look at it. Problem is, this time the errors concentrated on the best selling consoles, which should be "easier" to track. In that sense the ratio of "units in error" went up from 12% to 16%.

Don't get me wrong. As long as it keeps hovering around 15% it's fine by me for what this is. And hopefully it will drop with time to around 10%, before diminishing returns kicks in. But I wouldn't average those ratios like you did.

Don't agree.

Especially when consoles are selling out, they are much harder to track.

Say ioi gets data from a very large store. Say they got 1000 Wiis in, and sold 800 of them. 80% sell-through, once extrapolated?

100 other smaller stores are not tracked. They got 50 Wiis each - and sold out on each shipment.

The DS is the only one I don't understand. Is it shipment related, or are sales all over the place?

Either way, its another fantastic month for Ninty. 900k hardware sold, Sony has around 600k - and MS around 150k. You can still see who the small player is.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

Especially when consoles are selling out, they are much harder to track.

I know that, and I actually agree with you. But that's getting into the specificity of each console, and it's reaching beyond the numbers. When you're looking at the numbers alone, mathematically you shouldn't just average unrelated percentages.

Again, weird, weird month - lots of surprising stuff. So, it's fine to be wrong sometimes, specially on such a month. I just don't think it really is better than last month.

What are the exact dates this covers, by the way? Does it start July 8th? Anyone have a link to that info?

Edit: And on what day did the price drop take effect? I thought it was July 9th.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

@Bodhesatva: July 8 to August 4 (4 weeks, June was 5); price drop was July 12.

I'm new here, and I just want to ask, What does Vgchartz do when they overstimate or understimate numbers for the consoles sales??? They adjust their numbers with the ones given by NPD??? If no, they should do that, because NPD is a reliable source