By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - NY Times says that Paramount and Dreamworks received $150 million.

I pointed this out in another thread, but I really, really doubt Universal will go Bluray. Universal is owned by GE, which has plenty of money and doesn't like foreign companies (like Sony) encroaching on their other markets. GE will gladly spend 10 billion to make Sony lose 1 billion, GE is bigger than Microsoft and has moire to lose if Sony wins with BluRay

Around the Network

so transformers is going blu-ray then? since its a spielberg film.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

No, Transformers will be a HD-DVD exclusive (at least for 18 months).

Legend11 said:
No, Transformers will be a HD-DVD exclusive (at least for 18 months).

"And Paramount noted that no films directed by Steven Spielberg were included in the deal “

see, so it should come to Blu-ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Transformer was "directed" by Michael Bay, PRODUCED by Spielberg. So no, it won't be Bluray

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Around the Network
Delusional said:
Transformer was "directed" by Michael Bay, PRODUCED by Spielberg. So no, it won't be Bluray

oh alright, thanks.

Michael Bay retracted his statements about being mad at Paramount, and his threat about not directing Transformers 2. This was in no way damage control. He was in no way pressured by Paramount to retract his decision the next day. Paramount in no way threatened to give Tranformers 2 to someone else. He obviously thought HD-DVD was better for everyone, even people who owned Blu-Ray players.

/end sarcasm

Here is the article:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Paramount/Michael_Bay/Michael_Bay_Retracts_Earlier_Statement_Says_He_Supports_Paramounts_Decision_to_Back_HD_DVD/884

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

eab said:
I pointed this out in another thread, but I really, really doubt Universal will go Bluray. Universal is owned by GE, which has plenty of money and doesn't like foreign companies (like Sony) encroaching on their other markets. GE will gladly spend 10 billion to make Sony lose 1 billion, GE is bigger than Microsoft and has moire to lose if Sony wins with BluRay

I didn't get it. What has GE have to do with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, and what Sony has to do (that Toshiba doesn't) with GE? That sound bad business, that GE is willing to lose 10b, to make Sony lose 1b. Highly doubt that. It would make some sense, if Sony would be out of money and GE:s only competitor. It happens always, that when 2 competitors start hammering each other, third will come out and beat the shit out of both.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
eab said:

I didn't get it. What has GE have to do with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, and what Sony has to do (that Toshiba doesn't) with GE? That sound bad business, that GE is willing to lose 10b, to make Sony lose 1b. Highly doubt that. It would make some sense, if Sony would be out of money and GE:s only competitor. It happens always, that when 2 competitors start hammering each other, third will come out and beat the shit out of both.

GE owns Universal studios, which last week was the only studio supporting HD. If Universal went BluRay, than HD-DVD would have lost plain and simple. As to why GE supports Toshiba instead of Sony, is Toshiba isn't trying to get into GE's global market, while Sony is.

Finally, while my "GE would give 10 bil to stop Sony from getting 1 bil" may have been a little extreme, I think the basic concept is there. Yearly, Sony pulls in a $852 million profit. GE has a $20 billion profit.

GE can't expand its market anymore, but it can certainly lose it. This is expecially true with it's industrial electronic networking division which has been fighting with Sony and Panasonic for years over contracts in Asia. Toshiba isn't in that field, thus GE has to gain from Sony losing to Toshiba, and GE may be using it's Universa; division to help in this goal

18 months...then maybe paramount will re-release everything that was HD DVD exclusive to bluray then? Awesome...

/sarcasm ends

Well, seems like the CTO of Paramount didn't think so. Otherwise, I wonder why he said "indefinite"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136253-c,dvdtechnology/article.html

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW