By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - NY Times says that Paramount and Dreamworks received $150 million.

mitsuhide said:
So Paramont switch and Universal is thinking of going Blu-ray oh well.

Link to IGNPS3 podcast on Universal might be going Blu-ray.
http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-60901.aspx

The podcast is just two guys talking, and one says, "Universal has now said they have reconsidered their stance on HD-DVD and thinking of going to Blu-ray."

Believe me, if this was true, it would be HUGE news, cause Universal is the BIGGEST supporter of HD-DVD. It wouldn't just trickle into a podcast, it would hit all the sites talking about the new format war.

Around the Network

The PS3 won't go that cheap for many years or ever, Blu Ray CEs are way behind Toshiba in player stakes. The biggest Blu Ray player CE has been Samsung and they are going dual format.

The war just wont stop, just when you think Blu-Ray has the edge something always comes up.

HD-DVD already lost when Blockbuster refused to support them. There is a blockbuster in just about every town, so i don't see how Blu-ray could lose.

Blockbusters are dieing, losing money year after year.

Around the Network

who uses blockbusters anyways. not me! netflix is awesome:
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/07/27/blockbuster-vs-netflix-five-rounds-no-mercy.aspx

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

I use blockbuster.

6.95/mo

2 movies via mail.
return those to store whenever, get two more free movies.
Also, get to print 2 coupons for free movies in store per month

That's 6 movies per month for $6.95. Much better deal than netflix. Plus, when I finish watching a moving i can take it to the store and get a new one same day. Then they also auto mail the next one in my online que. Much quicker turn around.

The only advantage to netflix was more movies to choose from. So when I wanted to watch every Stargate episode made, I had to use netflix. Other than the obscure need, Blockbuster's deal is much better.

Either way I will just buy a dual format player. It just makes more sense.

lvader said:
Blockbusters are dieing, losing money year after year.

so ?

how does that change the fact it has the biggets market share and the most infulence. 

IMO, Paramount taking the $150 million but losing the support of Michael Bay and, more significantly, Stephen Spielberg, is actually a money losing proposition. Allow me to quote Emperor Palpatine: "You will pay for your lack of vision."

They choose short term over long term.

Its only 18 months, not that bad.