By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Megaton: Wii Sports is NOT the highest selling game ever! Not even close.

famousringo said:
shio said

• 25 million units sold have sold from retailers, equalling $300 million in consumer spending

Not bad.

But since a Wii bundled with Wii Sports costs at least $30 more than a Wii without (a Japanese Wii cost about $220 USD at launch), Wii Sports can claim over $1.2 billion dollars in consumer spending at retail. At that's not even counting all the hardware it helped to sell. You can claim that some of those people didn't want to buy Wii Sports, but they paid for it whether they wanted it or not.

Take that, dead horse!

I don't think you can compare the price of a console in one region and another and state that a bundled game is the reason it cost more.  I mean there are consoles with different prices among regions that never came with any bundled games.

Around the Network
celine said:
shio said:
dib8rman said:
Wii sports is the highest selling game.

Mario was the previous one. This tells one story:

Wii sports and Mario are both exclusive titles, ie. If GTAIV sold over 45 million copies it would of been known as the highest selling game, in that regard guess what this means for Wii Sports?

Were talking about consoles. In your case Mr/Ms of the OP minesweeper murders bejeweled, I can't imagine how many people have played baseball or even better yet soccer, while were at it let's qualify as the highest selling game: catch *When one tosses an object and the other catches it*.

/Thread

You make no sense. Bejeweled is not a free game, it just has a free trial. The bejeweled franchise sold 24 millions on RETAIL, and knowing that almost all of Popcap's business comes from digital distribution, is it so hard to believe the franchise sold atleast 100 millions?

Check your fact :

Casual games developer PopCap says that its seminal match-three puzzler,Bejeweled has sold over 25 million units since 2000. The figure applies to bothBejeweled and Bejeweled 2, and includes sales from web distribution partners, mobile, retail, in-flight and other channels. 

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19915

Aaaaaand celine comes in and curb stomps the thread.

Goodnight everybody!

People need to stop whining about this.
Just admit it, Wii Sports is the best selling game ever.
(>'.')>

celine said:
shio said:
dib8rman said:
Wii sports is the highest selling game.

Mario was the previous one. This tells one story:

Wii sports and Mario are both exclusive titles, ie. If GTAIV sold over 45 million copies it would of been known as the highest selling game, in that regard guess what this means for Wii Sports?

Were talking about consoles. In your case Mr/Ms of the OP minesweeper murders bejeweled, I can't imagine how many people have played baseball or even better yet soccer, while were at it let's qualify as the highest selling game: catch *When one tosses an object and the other catches it*.

/Thread

You make no sense. Bejeweled is not a free game, it just has a free trial. The bejeweled franchise sold 24 millions on RETAIL, and knowing that almost all of Popcap's business comes from digital distribution, is it so hard to believe the franchise sold atleast 100 millions?

Check your fact :

Casual games developer PopCap says that its seminal match-three puzzler,Bejeweled has sold over 25 million units since 2000. The figure applies to bothBejeweled and Bejeweled 2, and includes sales from web distribution partners, mobile, retail, in-flight and other channels. 

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19915

That shut me up. Damn I hate mistaken articles.

Edit:  Oops I guess there's no need for this post since the original is apparently wrong?

Around the Network

And to think I was going to buy Bejewled 2 from the PSN, despite it's being overpriced...
Boycott Bejewled! Stick it to the man!
Just kidding ^_^

Legend11 said:

Edit:  Oops I guess there's no need for this post since the original is apparently wrong?

read celine's post

/thread

Twilightman on Gametrailers

Legend11 said:
famousringo said:
shio said

• 25 million units sold have sold from retailers, equalling $300 million in consumer spending

Not bad.

But since a Wii bundled with Wii Sports costs at least $30 more than a Wii without (a Japanese Wii cost about $220 USD at launch), Wii Sports can claim over $1.2 billion dollars in consumer spending at retail. At that's not even counting all the hardware it helped to sell. You can claim that some of those people didn't want to buy Wii Sports, but they paid for it whether they wanted it or not.

Take that, dead horse!

I don't think you can compare the price of a console in one region and another and state that a bundled game is the reason it cost more.  I mean there are consoles with different prices among regions that never came with any bundled games.

You have a point. It's not conclusive. Although the launch price of an unbundled Wii in Korea is also ~$25 cheaper than a US bundled Wii. And we are talking about Nintendo, who generally don't like to do anything that doesn't pad their bottom line at least a little bit.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Huh, I just realized Solitaire was bundled. Guess we have a new winrar.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

your really reaching to make sure wii sports isnt the highest selling game when in fact it is. and before wii sports took the top sport, u didnt say anything about super mario brothers being the title holder, but now u are.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1