By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Games for Windows Live Fails Again... what a shock

Some people here really have a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome. MS is artificially inflicting this on PC gamers. The existence of Games for Windows has so far decreased humanity's net-utility.

Around the Network

Games for windows live is the most horrible thing to arrive on pc in many years. Fortunately some of the games can also be bought on Steam which usually makes them barable to play.

It's horrible !

They are also the ones at fault that petroglyphs patch 1.4 isn't out for universe at war yet. It's been stuck in processing at microsoft for several months or something.

I'll even go as far as saying that games for windows live is ruining pc gaming. It ruins my desire to buy a game in the store when it has the logo. Then I'll either opt for the console alt. Steam version (if any) or settle for nothing.

Check out my game about moles ^

Newsflash for the article writer and for anyone else: That's how PC gaming can be. Steam was more than "flaky" at the beginning of its life. It practically broke one of the most highly anticipated and highly praised PC games of all time: Half Life 2. When you finally got the game home, unpackaged it, and started installing it, there were several nightmares in your future. The first one was that you had to install Steam to play the game. The second one was that after installing 5 CDs worth of game files, Steam had to unlock all of them, which at the time was taking about 40 minutes on average. The third nightmare was that sometimes the unlock process would stall out half way through and either cause you to have to start completely over, or sometimes even reinstall the game. Steam is great now, but it had its issues in the past and almost everyone hated it. EA's Link service was the same way.

Even without the download services, a simple patch on a PC game can ruin your install. Ever played a Battlefield game? Ever played Oblivion? Nothing is worse than putting about 30 hours into an RPG and then have your save game rendered completely useless by a patch. It's just part of PC gaming. And even after you get through all that BS when getting a new game or a new patch, there's usually a GPU driver you need to. It can literally take two hours of sitting in front of the computer BEFORE you start playing a brand new PC game.

From what I've seen and heard, Microsoft is going to try to duplicate Xbox Live for their GFW Live platform. They are already taking steps to do it. Whether you love Xbox Live or hate it, it is a VERY successful platform. As long as it is free and works as well as Xbox Live does, PC gamers are going to love GFW live when it is firing on all cylinders. Back when I was PC gaming full time, I would have welcomed a more unified platform like this. As long as they have the staff and bandwidth to support it, it should do well.

Steam was crap when it first came out. When I originally installed half-life 2 it took 7 hours to get working. Look at steam now? Its a great service, but it took years for valve to convince people. The same will happen with windows live. Its a new service and it will take years for it to become a viable platform. Add a few extra years because of all the microsoft hate out there and you've got one massive task.

It may be crap now but in the future it may end up being just as good as steam, who knows?

what a lazy piece of crap, installing games is what makes pc gaming exciting

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:

I hear horror stories about PCs all the time. This is just the continuing story of gaming on your PC. Maybe it's Microsoft's fault. Maybe it's not. I know that Xbox Live on 360 works just fine, but I do pay $30 a year for the privilige of having it work so well. Games for Windows is free right? Well you get what you pay for. A few things I noticed too:

1. When did this gentleman contact Microsoft? It seems he tried a million things, but I can't find one sentence or statement involving him e-mailing or calling Microsoft about this.

2. I have to question the credibility of a journalist that was given free content to review, yet will dodge his job writing about it just because he doesn't want to break some principle he has of spending more time installing than playing it. I wonder what Bethesda will think of giving this guy reviewable content in the future.

PSN is free, even Wii connect is, that doesn't happen there, also if you put steam into the equation windows live fails flat.

and have you tried contacting microsoft? its hell, which he certainly did to get that annoyed about it, you could always mail him

Domicinator said:
Newsflash for the article writer and for anyone else: That's how PC gaming can be. Steam was more than "flaky" at the beginning of its life. It practically broke one of the most highly anticipated and highly praised PC games of all time: Half Life 2. When you finally got the game home, unpackaged it, and started installing it, there were several nightmares in your future. The first one was that you had to install Steam to play the game. The second one was that after installing 5 CDs worth of game files, Steam had to unlock all of them, which at the time was taking about 40 minutes on average. The third nightmare was that sometimes the unlock process would stall out half way through and either cause you to have to start completely over, or sometimes even reinstall the game. Steam is great now, but it had its issues in the past and almost everyone hated it. EA's Link service was the same way.

Even without the download services, a simple patch on a PC game can ruin your install. Ever played a Battlefield game? Ever played Oblivion? Nothing is worse than putting about 30 hours into an RPG and then have your save game rendered completely useless by a patch. It's just part of PC gaming. And even after you get through all that BS when getting a new game or a new patch, there's usually a GPU driver you need to. It can literally take two hours of sitting in front of the computer BEFORE you start playing a brand new PC game.

From what I've seen and heard, Microsoft is going to try to duplicate Xbox Live for their GFW Live platform. They are already taking steps to do it. Whether you love Xbox Live or hate it, it is a VERY successful platform. As long as it is free and works as well as Xbox Live does, PC gamers are going to love GFW live when it is firing on all cylinders. Back when I was PC gaming full time, I would have welcomed a more unified platform like this. As long as they have the staff and bandwidth to support it, it should do well.

Your post is silly. Steam is far superior than Xbox Live, and one of GFWL's biggest criticisms is that it feels like a straight port of XBL (and that is not a good thing). Steam's beginning wasn't the best, but right now it's easily the best online platform.

And I call BS on needing years to make a steady service: Impulse only came out 6 months ago and is already a great effort. If Impulse does what it promised this year it will become the second best service, beating Xbox Live.

360 version of Fallout 3 is superior CONFIRMED !!!!!!!!!

Jo21 said:
Onyxmeth said:

I hear horror stories about PCs all the time. This is just the continuing story of gaming on your PC. Maybe it's Microsoft's fault. Maybe it's not. I know that Xbox Live on 360 works just fine, but I do pay $30 a year for the privilige of having it work so well. Games for Windows is free right? Well you get what you pay for. A few things I noticed too:

1. When did this gentleman contact Microsoft? It seems he tried a million things, but I can't find one sentence or statement involving him e-mailing or calling Microsoft about this.

2. I have to question the credibility of a journalist that was given free content to review, yet will dodge his job writing about it just because he doesn't want to break some principle he has of spending more time installing than playing it. I wonder what Bethesda will think of giving this guy reviewable content in the future.

PSN is free, even Wii connect is, that doesn't happen there, also if you put steam into the equation windows live fails flat.

and have you tried contacting microsoft? its hell, which he certainly did to get that annoyed about it, you could always mail him

What do you mean? Things like this do happen on PSN. I can't play Call of Duty 4 on PSN because my router isn't compatible, which is a problem Activision hasn't solved in over 14 months ever since a PSN firmware update broke it, but funny enough, I can play off that same router on Xbox Live. Considering that COD4 is my favorite online game, that $30 a year is obviously going to something Microsoft is doing right that PSN is not.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

is Windows Live that gay ass think Microsoft is trying to impliment into its games onto computers that people have to PAY to play online like on Xbox Live

If so then keep up the good work of failing and loosing as much money for microsoft as you can. Making people pay for computer online when not an MMO is horrible