By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation 3 on the path of The Sega Dreamcast?

@retrasado

seeing his previous posts

I would assume yes

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Oh Jesus....first it's on track to be the Gamecube, now the Dreamcast. You people keep on seeming to forget that both the Dreamcast and the GCN had NO WHERE near as much support as the PS3. Were they making Grand Theft Autos and Tekkens, Final Fantasies (proper) on the GCN and DC? The answer is a resounding and unanimous NO

ZenfoldorVGI said:

It certainly deserves to go the way of the Dreamcast, the way Sony has ran it into the ground, but no. It has survived up to this point on brand name and RRoD fear alone, and it's at an unbelievably high price point.

Now that the console is on the verge of a major price cut, and it's finally starting to get some respectable exclusives, I don't think it has anywhere to go but up.

Again, though, it certainly deserves to ruin the company, for what they have done to the playstation brand.

That brand is the only think that kept the console afloat. Most of you here bought the PS3 because of the brand, and not the games. That brand saved the console. To be more precise, consumer ignorance and PS2 marketing from 5 years ago saved the console.

You believed the games would come because of the brand, and because you believed, the games did come. It was just a close call back there in 2007, but you made it though guys, by sipping the cool-aid....or maybe, just maybe, hope is a better way to put it.

Is that an incorrect assessment?

So the games don't matter anymore? Summer 2007, when the first party exclusives started rolling in non stop (on top of the 3rd party titles it was already getting), that wasn't the reason it was surviving? Like many have said, brand loyalty isn't THAT big a deal (especially when it was $600)....but now you're using it as only a talking point to try and back up your argument. Well I call BS on it. Either you stick with saying brand loyalty doesn't matter (meaning it's sold nearly 20 million with it's game library and multimedia functionality) or brand loyalty DOES matter (which is then a fallacy because it should thus be way ahead of the competition, or the past two Nintendo consoles should have mopped the floor with the competition considering the NES and SNES).

And RRoD fear? You act as if it's not real. Not even exxagerating, EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE that I know has got the RRoD except myself (I bought a 2nd gen Pro model) and one other friend of mine....and he's lucky he hasnt got it yet because he bought a refurb PREMIUM 360. It's probably bound to die on him eventually. If you saw 360s break down left and right, and then when discussing games, you always hear "the 360 and the PS3 basically have the same library, but the 360 is cheaper"....would YOU still get a 360 knowing it was prone to breaking? If it were me, I would have just manned up, coughed up the extra $100, and not have to worry about any hardware issues....ever

BMaker11 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

It certainly deserves to go the way of the Dreamcast, the way Sony has ran it into the ground, but no. It has survived up to this point on brand name and RRoD fear alone, and it's at an unbelievably high price point.

Now that the console is on the verge of a major price cut, and it's finally starting to get some respectable exclusives, I don't think it has anywhere to go but up.

Again, though, it certainly deserves to ruin the company, for what they have done to the playstation brand.

That brand is the only think that kept the console afloat. Most of you here bought the PS3 because of the brand, and not the games. That brand saved the console. To be more precise, consumer ignorance and PS2 marketing from 5 years ago saved the console.

You believed the games would come because of the brand, and because you believed, the games did come. It was just a close call back there in 2007, but you made it though guys, by sipping the cool-aid....or maybe, just maybe, hope is a better way to put it.

Is that an incorrect assessment?

And RRoD fear? You act as if it's not real. Not even exxagerating, EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE that I know has got the RRoD except myself (I bought a 2nd gen Pro model) and one other friend of mine....and he's lucky he hasnt got it yet because he bought a refurb PREMIUM 360. It's probably bound to die on him eventually. If you saw 360s break down left and right, and then when discussing games, you always hear "the 360 and the PS3 basically have the same library, but the 360 is cheaper"....would YOU still get a 360 knowing it was prone to breaking? If it were me, I would have just manned up, coughed up the extra $100, and not have to worry about any hardware issues....ever

That's very odd as i'm the opposite!, I don't know ANYONE of my friends that has had RROD problems, And also, I have 91 friends on my 360 friends list, only three of those have had RROD problems and they were launch consoles, but on the other hand, I know 7 people who have PS3's, two of these have failed (including mine)

Works both ways you see, just because you have had a lot of problems doesn't mean everyone else does, and also, the late falcon units and new jasper units have cut the RROD problem down to less than 3% failure rate on new consoles,

If my 360 ever went wrong I wouldn't care at all as it will be fixed totally free of charge thanks to the superb MS 3 year warranty (sony tried charging me postage to send my PS3 for repair before xmas), they even give you a free game or a months live as a good will gesture, stop yapping on like the RROD is still a huge major problem (it's not), its free to get fixed, look how many peoples launch systems went wrong yet they still stuck with the 360, why? because it is a fantastic gaming console and walks all over the competition (current sales figures and the 360's 8 million lead reflects this), my PS3 collects dust, my 360 gets played!,

Rant over.....

Badassbab said:

My thoughts when I saw the title... Give it a rest people....  The systems doing well.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
FKNetwork said:
BMaker11 said:

That's very odd as i'm the opposite!, I don't know ANYONE of my friends that has had RROD problems, And also, I have 91 friends on my 360 friends list, only three of those have had RROD problems and they were launch consoles, but on the other hand, I know 7 people who have PS3's, two of these have failed (including mine)

Works both ways you see, just because you have had a lot of problems doesn't mean everyone else does, and also, the late falcon units and new jasper units have cut the RROD problem down to less than 3% failure rate on new consoles,

If my 360 ever went wrong I wouldn't care at all as it will be fixed totally free of charge thanks to the superb MS 3 year warranty (sony tried charging me postage to send my PS3 for repair before xmas), they even give you a free game or a months live as a good will gesture, stop yapping on like the RROD is still a huge major problem (it's not), its free to get fixed, look how many peoples launch systems went wrong yet they still stuck with the 360, why? because it is a fantastic gaming console and walks all over the competition (current sales figures and the 360's 8 million lead reflects this), my PS3 collects dust, my 360 gets played!,

Rant over.....

I don't see how it "works both ways" when the PS3, and even the Wii damnit, have ALWAYS had <1% failure rate. PS3s breaking is a rare occurence. 360s breaking is a common occurence. You can't compare the two. And how do you know the fail rate of Jaspers? No percentages have been calculated yet...only for Falcons, and those were reported at 16%..not 3% (which is really funny because when RRoD first started being recognized, M$ said the 360 fail rate was 3%)

And stop yapping, like is still a big problem? It IS still a big problem. Why is it STILL happening everywhere? Why is it STILL making headlines? Why do 360s continually fail at EVERY gaming expo (E3, TGS, CES, etc) year in and year out...when M$ is trying to separate themselves from that image? I don't care if they fix it for free. It shouldn't be a problem that you always have to be on your toes for. It should be an issue of IF it's going to happen, not WHEN

well i was thinking it is kind of like the Gamecube, though was lucky enough to have great support from 3rd parties to start. But it is starting to seem like only new games coming out for it are all 1st and 2nd party games.

We have our Sony Fans always claiming how the games coming out are amazing and the best, just as we had the Nintendo fans claiming that the GC games were amazing and had a great library. Nintendo never really had 3rd party support, and PS3 is starting to loose it all it seems.

So you PS3 lovers and just like Nintendo Lovers. The reason you love PS3 so much is 1st and 2nd party games, same reason why we love our Wii so much. And it seems that the Nintendo fanboys hate the sony 1st & 2nd party games while Sony fanboys hate the Nintendo 1st and 2nd party games.

if i'm wrong correct me, but really besides games already announced for Sony when PS3 came out or 1st couple months has there been any new 3rd party big games announced for it that are EXCLUSIVE? They all seem to be 1st and 2nd party games that are only coming out, that aren't 360 as well.

No DC lasted 1 1/2 years PS3 is on 2 years so EPIC FAILZ!!!

This guy is a pure nOOb, hahahaha!

I only wished, tho that the Dreamcast had as much 3rd party support as the PS3, then we could have had it longer.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Stocko said:
No DC lasted 1 1/2 years PS3 is on 2 years so EPIC FAILZ!!!

Most don't comprehand basic logic, so this may be lost on a lot of them.