By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation 3 on the path of The Sega Dreamcast?

This is just sony's turn to see that they marketed horribly. Each gaming company goes through a tough patch. Nintendo's future was pretty bleak with the gamecube. It was put to shame in the last generation- so this round they pulled out all the stops and have redeemed themselves. Now it's sony's turn to lick their wounds and learn from their mistakes.

xbox- it'll always be that middle child in my opinion. e74 ftw

Around the Network

No it's doing fine and will not be a dreamcast.

No. The PS3 is selling much, much better than the Dreamcast did.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Situation is more like the GC one. It is in third place, is gonna stay in third place and will not have increased sales YTD from Nov 08 on out. The only difference will be that the PS3 will have more sales overall and that it that Sony will not make a profit (overall, big deal if it makes 5Mil profit this year, its not even going to begin to compare to its dev cost) from it like Nintendo did with the GC.

Playstation brand will not die, it will try again next generation. I do not think it is, nor will be structured to be able to come back against Nintendo. Also, MS will continue to be larger than it based on the resources MS has and the continued 3rd Party support it will have.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Just2Fresh said:

I want to get peoples opinions on wether they believe the Ps3 will eventually meet the same fate the Sega Dreamcast did back in 2001...

I have a Ps3 and had a 360(sold it) great system also....since Ps3 sales numbers have been horrible in the past couple of months and Sony posting HUGE losses financially. Do you believe the Ps3 will be haulted in Production and abandoned if this year is not good for it?

i have yet to see horrible numbers.

Around the Network

I dont mean like horrific numbers but compare to the comptetion theirs worse...

Just2Fresh said:

I dont mean like horrific numbers but compare to the comptetion theirs worse...

well right now to escape the fate of sega's console sony is focusing on making money. therefor no price cut and sluggish sales WHEN compared to the competiton. other than that the ps3 is selling decently given the economy and the price of the console.

PS3 like DC? ...not even close XD

I hope it does, if just so threads like this one cease to exist.

I don't understand how someone can possibly think sony took such losses for almost two years just to discontinue it when they break even...

wow...

Predictions.

1. Wii will never reach 50% market share.

2. Kz2 will sell 1.3 first week 3.5 LT.
Sales predictions for 09.

Wii - 69 - 72
PS3 - 32 - 34
X360 - 39 - 41