By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Sony ever make a real change to it's lame ass controller?

I know this comes out of nowhere, but browsing a web site based on game sales got me thinking. I will only buy a game on my ps3, or ps2 and 1 previously if it's exclusive to that console. I have just never liked that controller and I'm wondering if anyone has felt the same way. It's disapointing to see every other console manufacturer trying to advance and improve it's controller and then come back to your ps and have the same damn thing. Like an unwillingness on Sony's part to try something new or innovate beyond some lame Nintendo rip off. Reminds me in a small way of EA and their Madden..

http://2ksports.com/go/gamerschoice/

Ok I did my part, I bought No More Heroes, but they were out of Zach and Wiki.

Ok got Zach and Wiki, now if I could just finally finish Twilight Princess so I can play all these Wii games I got waiting. And no I won't buy Okami.

DNF, now there is a game that should have been scrapped completely. Reminds me of a kid whose been in school for 12 years and still doesn't know what he wants to do. At one point you just need to man up and get a job.

Around the Network

There was a thread that touched on this a few months ago.  The main topic was what if Sony had gone with the boomerang controller they showed at E3 one year.  I responded that I actually would have preferred the boomerang to the design of the PS controller that was already crap when it first came out 13 years ago.  If Sony had spent 5% of the time and money they spent on the technology of the PS3's CPU and GPU on the design of the controller, they would have been much better off.  Actually, one company did invest a lot of time and money into their controller design for this generation, and look where they are...

The original PlayStation controller was excusable -- Sony had never produced a console before.  The blatant copy of the SNES controller was excusable -- Sony had been in contract with Nintendo to produce a console that would play SNES cartridges as well as CD-ROM games.  Failing to improve the awful ergonomics in two more generations and 13 years is inexcusable.  Even Microsoft produced a far-better revision to the awful first design of the Xbox controller.

aww ur already tired of it after 3 generations of systems...come on its only been 13 years this december.....whats better to have in the NEXT generation than LAST generations goods..gosh...get with the program

Dammit...i gotta think of a good signature, maybe something informing...tell the ppl somethin..or maybe a joke...get em laughing...no thats stupid..how bout i talk about me tryna figure out the perfect signature....omg thats the gayest thing i ever heard, thats gay like richard simmons and ponies, thats gayer than spandex and rainbows, forget it...

The controller is fine for what it does, and I guess they chose to stick to their design because everyone is used to it, only some hardcore gamers seem to be sick of it.

I'm fine with it, completely, it would of been a nice fresh feel if it were a new design I'll admit, but the absence of rumble is sickening.

Never liked it either, has always felt uncomfortable to me.

Around the Network

The controller has always been a major seller for me when considering a console. I put off buying a PS2 because of the controller alone.

Will Sony ever change it? I sort of doubt it, because I think they see it as a recognizable feature. Just like people see Mario and think Nintendo, people see the PS controller and think Sony. Also, they probably kept it thinking thats what all 120m PS2 users liked, so the'll buy a PS3 because it has a familiar controller.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

The sixaxis controller is fine. Probably the most flexible and accomodating of the three current ones. It's very lightweight, has a long battery life, and it's perfect for games from every genre.

To be honest I never notice the lack of rumble when I'm playing. It's only when I come into forums and see people mention it, that I have to remind myself that it's gone.

I think that they will have to change it for the PS4.............................I hope so, because after it will have been what, 18 years? That's not good at all, some people may see it in a good way, but it is a real problem, a lack of innovation will. One of the main interest with the new consoles for me has always been to discover the new controller and the SNES design is getting old. It was perfect back in 1991, but hey, we're now in 2007!

lets hope they dont change it and keep there sales down :)

Super Smash Bro's Before Hoe's

I started to hate the PS controller right after I got into the GC gaming scene. The GC controller IMO [I have never tried the 360's] is the best traditional controller out there. It just fits, ya know?

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers