By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You love RPGs, don't own a PS3 or PSP, and...

obamanian said:
I do not get why PS3 is mentioned in a RPG thread, its next gen offerings have failed, both WKC and Demon Soul are the worst scoring next gen RPGs ever in Japan

Also has absolutly nothing to anticipate besides FF13vs, which will 99% come to 360

The PS3 can play any PS1 RPG in existance, unlike the X360 and Wii.  Get it now?  Did you read the first post?

Around the Network
novasonic said:
I think a DS and the VC are the best place for old RPGs, arn't they?

Except for remakes, most PS1 RPGs are unlikely to ever show up on VC or on the DS.  The PS1 had a LOT of great RPGs.

VC is the destination for N64 and 16-bit era RPGs.  I would say that the PS1 had more decent RPGs than all of those platforms combined.  There are some gems on VC, but they pale in quantity (and quality for obvious reasons) to the PS1's lineup.

If multi-disc RPGs suddenly showed up on PSN... would that change the picture for anyone?  Lunar 1-2, Final Fantasy 7-9, Wild Arms 2, Thousand Arms, Grandia, ...the list would be pretty big, pretty fast.

It's never too late to enjoy a game if it's good. RPG?? What's important???

Story
Characters
Battle System

4 ≈ One

Groucho said:
obamanian said:
I do not get why PS3 is mentioned in a RPG thread, its next gen offerings have failed, both WKC and Demon Soul are the worst scoring next gen RPGs ever in Japan

Also has absolutly nothing to anticipate besides FF13vs, which will 99% come to 360

The PS3 can play any PS1 RPG in existance, unlike the X360 and Wii.  Get it now?  Did you read the first post?

But I could play any PS1 and PS2 RPG on my PS1 or PS2 for nothing, or for a small fraction of the PS3's price. I don't get the point being argued either, how does the PS3 being able to play PS1 RPG's help it's case when the most likely PS3 customer probably owns a PS2 that could do the same thing?

Dianko said:
Groucho said:
obamanian said:

But I could play any PS1 and PS2 RPG on my PS1 or PS2 for nothing, or for a small fraction of the PS3's price. I don't get the point being argued either, how does the PS3 being able to play PS1 RPG's help it's case when the most likely PS3 customer probably owns a PS2 that could do the same thing?

You can do those things but also have a PS3? Outside of upscaling and a literal response, it's like saying why buy a Wii whenever you have a SNES and NES so you don't need to Virtual Console.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Dianko said:
Groucho said:
obamanian said:

Keep in mind that many of these old PS1 RPGs cost a good $40 (or even $100, in the case of games like Suikoden II) to purchase used in CD form, and in many cases the discs are near unusable.  $6 is a steal for them, if you don't own them already.

i would have bought a ps3 any.

i have the play FF13 Versus likely the most awesome JRPG this gem =)

/nomura!

I guess id be a 10 excluding owning a psp or a ps3. I have an xbox 360 and a nintendo ds. The 360 has more and better RPG's than the ps3 and the DS has great RPG's. I do need to buy a PSP for its great games but a PS3 would be a waste of money to me since the xbox 360 has more and better games. Most games come out for both systems anyways.

I have a ps2 and my friend and I own almost all of the good older games. So, 1

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS