By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Now The reviews are pouring in Predict Killzone 2 sales.......

Skittles said:
windbane said:
Skittles said:
windbane said:

I'm afraid GT won't sell as well this generation, but we'll see. GT5: Pro did very well with people falsely comparing it to a demo.

I hope KZ2 does reach that popularity.

And why wouldn't GT sell well this gen?

First of all, I said not as well. I don't know, I'm not the person to be guessing because I've never played the series, just in stores and the GT5: Concept and Prologue demo. I prefer arcade racers. That said, I want it to do well, but I'm just not sure it will do as well as the older versions.

The install base on PS3 will not be what PS1 and PS2 were, and MGS4 didn't sell as well as I'd thought it would. Usually, the first game of a series on a new system sells very well, but it didn't sell as well as MGS or MGS 2.

GTA IV's combined sales on both platforms did do as well as previous versions, but that is because the combined install base is similar to what PS2 alone was at this point.

Ratchet didn't do as well as 1-3, either.

Now, the Prologue did very well.

NameConsolePublisherJapanAmericaOthersTotal
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec Sony Computer Entertainment 1.89 7.13 5.85 14.87
Gran Turismo Sony Computer Entertainment 2.55 3.99 4.31 10.85
Gran Turismo 4 Sony Computer Entertainment 1.16 2.76 5.71 9.63
Gran Turismo 2 Sony Computer Entertainment 1.71 3.96 3.70 9.37
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Sony Computer Entertainment 0.60 0.63 1.63 2.86
Gran Turismo Concept 2001 Tokyo Unknown 0.43 0.00 1.13 1.56
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue Sony Computer Entertainment 0.79 0.00 0.57 1.36

But it was bundled in Europe and didn't sell as well as GT4: Pro in Japan (which was not released in US). Then again, we don't know how many people downloaded it.

Still, I think because of the precedent of the games above that it won't sell quite as well as the first iterations on the other consoles. I think even if CGI's prediction is correct of over 9 million, that is still less than GT1 and GT3, which were the first versions on the PS1 and PS2.

Any game that sells over 9 million is still among the best sellers ever, so it's not a big deal, heh.

Don know. When GT3 released the PS2's install base was around the PS3's(I think). And it sold massively.

yeah, but it took long legs to sell through 14 million, and in that time the install base skyrocketed in 2002 and on.

But hey, we'll see.  I agree with Kantor and CGI that 9 million is a safe bet and that would be near Halo 3.  Then again, Halo 3 might be at 10 million by then so we'll see how that goes.

Around the Network

Congrats to everyone with good predictions, I was about 400k off

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

There are way too many threads on this. Keep the sales talk here.