By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who thinks there will be no PS4?

Me personally I can bet my soul that there will be a PS4, I think that Sony will not jump out of the video game market after the PS3, I'm sure everyone can agree the PS3 should be able to sell a MINIMUM of 45 million consoles, which should be considered a huge success no matter what position its in.

Anyway I see a lot of comment saying how people are doughting there will be a PS4, so who thinks there will be no PS4 and for what reason.

Around the Network

I sure hope there isn't, it's about damn time they think of a new name for their system besides a number. I don't see that happening, though...

I'm sure Sony will release a new console, and I'm actually really interested to see what direction they take, surely they're going to change direction after this generation.

Well every cent they made on the PS2 (over 150 million sold) was used for the PS3...

who knows... I'd say buy the devlopers and try and comete with software like Ubi or Act.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

I'd guess a 75% probability there will be a PS4. If it does happen, it will be after a massive restructuring and change of strategy at Sony's gaming division.

The reason is simply that their strategy doesn't work anymore. The Playstation consoles have always relied on third party exclusives, even though Sony has a lot of good 1st party games. Microsoft came and stole that advantage by being richer than Sony, and this means Sony has to find other methods to bring in gamers.

First of all, say goodbye to the loss-leading model. Losing anything more than a few tens of dollars per console is not acceptable with the competition Sony has. They need breathing room to allow for unforeseeable low demand and high competition.

Second, they need to be more innovative. Differentiate themselves using gaming features, not media center ones. If they can't do this for the PS4, they might as well not launch a console as the Playstation brand won't save the PS4 as much as it saved the PS3.

Third, they need to stop acting as if they're still the leader of the console market. Many of their developers are too slow to release games, and that only works when those games aren't needed on a timely basis to prop up sales. The purpose of first party developers is to build up the userbase before 3rd parties are on board, and in this regard Sony's 1st parties have failed (I am thinking especially of GT5's absence here).

In any case, the biggest threat to the existence of a PS4 is the ongoing recession and resulting economic troubles at Sony. In a few years Sony may be a very different company due to this, so many of our assumptions may become irrelevant.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Depends.. I am sure they will make a very good profit from ps3 but not for a few years, it might take a year or two to make up the money they have lost so far on ps3 and then they can make good money for years to come. Maybe they might become handheld only? I'm sure of it they have a big section in gaming.

Around the Network

There will be a PS4. Chad Wardenn will ensure a 'PS Fliple'
I'll buy it.

I think they'd be crazy to not make another one. It would seem like a major knee jerk reaction to the current economy. As much as people like to say the Playstation name holds no weight, it does. They'd be crazy to just leave potential money lying there, after so much work to build the name. Sony's condition would have to worsen significantly (yes, even more) for me to see this. I personally pray that they continue, I shudder to think of life without mah Playstation goodness.

Of course there will be...its what the third or fourth year of the ps3? are you serious its still got plenty of time to make profit esp when the 45nm comes out and then even a thinner one then slim.....at least 7-8 years in this console and its potential hasnt been reached yet so for me i think ps4 will def come out....

oh and btw
playstation revolution sounds good to me

Predictions

GT5 will sell 3.2million + first week on ps3 (made 06 March 2010)

FFXIII Versus will have higher Metacritic scores than FFXIII after the first month.... Bet going on with perpride - loser changes sig for a month

KH3 will be PS3 EXCLUSIVE - willing to bet removal from vgchartz for a month

Holy crap NJ5 changed his avatar!!!

On topic, I'm at least 90% sure that they will have a PS4, as long as SCE doesn't totally collapse due to the recession, which I think is very unlikely but far from impossible.

I agree at least to some extent with all the issues NJ5 mentioned.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

will anybody care? the economy is on the brink of collapsing.