By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who thinks there will be no PS4?

50 percent chance there is no PS4. I lean towards no.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Around the Network

PS4 is going to be PS3 TURBO.. like the wii.. and will have a "waggle".. like the wii

hmm..maybe wii is a "true next gen" console after all

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

I think they'll call it the Playstation Super Machine instead of PS4.

Amazing Wonderful Gaming System also is a possibility I think.

arsenicazure said:
PS4 is going to be PS3 TURBO.. like the wii.. and will have a "waggle".. like the wii

I agree with this. The PS3 will be to the PS4 what the GC was to the Wii. The PS4 will be a faster version of the PS3 with a new radically different control method.

I suspect it is going to be a Camera/Waggle combination with 3D tracking of player movements. It will also not cost to Sony or the consumer more than $300-350 at launch and have perfect backwards compatibility like the Wii.

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

taxman said:
arsenicazure said:

I agree with this. The PS3 will be to the PS4 what the GC was to the Wii. The PS4 will be a faster version of the PS3 with a new radically different control method.

I suspect it is going to be a Camera/Waggle combination with 3D tracking of player movements. It will also not cost to Sony or the consumer more than $300-350 at launch and have perfect backwards compatibility like the Wii.

I don't think the're going to appeal to this. The Wii itself is a massive hardware failure meaning its components cost as much as far better ones at the time of its release. Plus Sony won't try to face the sucessor of the Wii knowing what happened with PS2 rivals.

If anything they'll pull out a M$ and release PS4 earlier than X720/Wii-2.

Around the Network

Well ,seeing as they're working on it right now, I'd say there is a 100% chance of a PS4.

well in sony's current situation with money i really cant see a P$4 happening until way after their 10 year plan or not at all

They should honestly focus of their games and make them even better then release on multiple platforms and in theory start making money again

Feel free to check out my 8 montages at www.youtube.co.uk/stonj 

you can also find me at myspace.com/jamiestoner47 and on facebook

XBL :: stonj

Willem said:
There will be a PS4 because it will be released in another time.
What I mean with that is all console-producers will face new challenges in the coming years.

MS has their shareholders who are expecting big profit-margins.
If MS cannot meet those expectations those share-holders will start to complain and invest their money elsewhere. And given the recent numbers ( Q2-2009 ) their revenue did not grow much ( just 3% higher then Q1, while Q2 is in the holidays ) and their profits in the division declined.
In other words: they sold a lot consoles to create a large userbase, millions of Gold-subscribers, high-priced accessories, big hits like Halo & Gears of War but it doesn't make enough profit.
Other problems they face is piracy, I know enough people who bought the console because it's easy to mod.
And what hardware will MS use in their new console, and will it be powerfull and cheap enough to face the competition ? And will the architecture change so much that developers have to learn the machine again ?

Will people who bought the Wii replace it with a later version ?
They don't care much about HD-graphics or 5.1 Surround Sound. So can Nintendo release a new console successfully when it only has improved graphics / sound ? I guess they will hang on to the Wii as long as possible.

Sony could play it a lot smarter next gen, they learned their lessons about price, online gaming and console features.
They don't make profits yet, but they heavily invested in Blu-Ray and I guess that will turn into some profits when the recession starts to fade.
The same with the Cell: I took a major investment, but it proved it's powers, flexible architecture and scalability.
They could easily put two General Usage Cells and a Cell-enhanced nVidia-chip in the next console to create a cheap and powerfull console.
And those developers who understand 1 Cell wouldn't have much trouble deploying and optimizing software for 2 Cells.

So yes, I'm pretty sure there will be a next PS, and another Ninty, but I'm not sure about the XBox. If the profits don't increase enough this year they might pull the plug and concentrate on their core-business: Windows, Office and Server-software, simply because their profit-margins are a lot bigger there.

arsenicazure said:

I have to agree with both, except that instead of two Cells, a Cell with more cores should cost roughly the same or even less and offer faster comms amongst all cores and allow smaller and cheaper mobos.

Big RAM, at least two, better four, general purpose PPE's and a smaller HDD standard even on entry level models, to let them fully use online services, are of the essence. Reasonable launch price, that is at least an entry level model at $399 or less, even more indispensable. And no Tefal Grill-like design, please!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

The key to remember is that the CELL architecture is highly scalable, which means that Sony can just double or triple up the number of SPEs, intergrate the RAM and multiply it by 4 or 8x, and drop the GPU completely, and you have a PS4. It'll save bundles on R&D and allow for a quicker achievement of profitability (perhaps even profit from the get-go)

With that in mind, Sony could just call the PS3 a loss and focus in the long run, but if the division continues to underperform financially ($337 million in the red this year), Sony may have some hard choices to make in the coming years, due to the economy and whatnot. Howard Stringer predicted a future Sony that is more focused on Software than hardware, which could spell doom for PlayStation as a console, but the brand could live on as something like Steam or N-Gage

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Not me would be shocked if there is none though

Play Me