By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: one of the most over rated serie of all time.

Basically, without Zelda, most other similar game series' wouldn't exist.

Overrated? Definitely not, unless you just don't like gaming.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

Overall, how would you compare PH to the other Zeldas in the series?

I'm currently in the dungeon on the island with the wind (Isle of Gusts?).

You're not too far in at all, then.

It's a delight. The dungeon design is easily the best of any 2-D game in the series, and is about on level with Majora's Mask in terms of how well you can work the environment.

OK. .. I guess I get a little stuumped on the two games bieng similar part.

I meant when I read it I chuckled because you went oon to say except for the wolf part and so forth,, and I was kinda of like "Close but way off" - Homer Simpson.

I dunno, its not that I'm trying to disagree with you, or I guess argue wth you rather. but I was just like ok.

I dunno to me, the wolf part makes it totally different, but they are both Zelda games and they are in 3D, so they are similar in that reguard. They also have many similar locations, so I dunno maybe I can kinda see your point.

oh well, thats cool. he he

(I hope I didn't come off as mad or anything, I didn't mean the post to be hostile or nothing like that)

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

thetonestarr said:
Basically, without Zelda, most other similar game series' wouldn't exist.

Overrated? Definitely not, unless you just don't like gaming.

Agreed

Pacman taught people to run around in dark rooms munching on pills while listening to repettive techno music and for that I somewhat idolise him.

Question. Were there other top-down & map adventure games between Legend of Zelda and Adventure. Or was LoZ the first game to follow it?

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network

Also, I rank Phantom Hourglass as my third favourite Zelda title, behind OoT/MQ and ALttP, respectively.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Khuutra said:
makingmusic476 said:

It's a delight. The dungeon design is easily the best of any 2-D game in the series, and is about on level with Majora's Mask in terms of how well you can work the environment.

Going through the main temple over and voer again doesn't get on your nerves?

My only complaints thus far are the controls (this is the only Zelda game since Ocarina in which I've died more than once, and rolling is very hit and miss), and some minor inconsistencies between it and other Zeldas (the ability to whip out your sword in shops, no limit on your wallet).  Of course, the latter is a rather petty complaint.  :P

Overall, I'm quite enjoying the game, which is certainly saying something, given my usual distaste for handheld gaming.  It doesn't come close to any of the 3D Zeldas, though.

I'm not quite sure I undertand your comparison with Majora's Mask.  I really need to replay that game.  The summer can't come soon enough!

makingmusic476 said:
Khuutra said:
makingmusic476 said:

My only complaints thus far are the controls (this is the only Zelda game since Ocarina in which I've died more than once, and rolling is very hit and miss), and some minor inconsistencies between it and other Zeldas (the ability to whip out your sword in shops, no limit on your wallet).  Of course, the latter is a rather petty complaint.  :P

Overall, I'm quite enjoying the game, which is certainly saying something, given my usual distaste for handheld gaming.

I'm not quite sure I undertand your comparison with Majora's Mask.  I really need to replay that game.  The summer can't come soon enough!

The Palace of the Ocean King is not a chore. The items you get allow you to move through each floor very, very rapidly, and as you continue to unlock new items new ways to shave off time are made apparent. There's at least one "halfway" point I'm aware of...

And beyond that, the temple is just fantastically designed. I could play it over and over and over. It's huge and complex and a blast to play.

And yes, you'll see when and if you replay Majora.

Commando said:
OK. .. I guess I get a little stuumped on the two games bieng similar part.

I meant when I read it I chuckled because you went oon to say except for the wolf part and so forth,, and I was kinda of like "Close but way off" - Homer Simpson.

I dunno, its not that I'm trying to disagree with you, or I guess argue wth you rather. but I was just like ok.

I dunno to me, the wolf part makes it totally different, but they are both Zelda games and they are in 3D, so they are similar in that reguard. They also have many similar locations, so I dunno maybe I can kinda see your point.

oh well, thats cool. he he

(I hope I didn't come off as mad or anything, I didn't mean the post to be hostile or nothing like that)

You came off menacing and outright hostile!  Seemingly militant!

lol

TP is similar to Ocarina in many ways.  You don't remember all the accustaions of TP being a OoT remake after release?

Hyrule is very similar, you're saving Princess Zelda yet again (at least Wind Waker mixed things up in this regard), you retread many of the same temples, though with different layouts.  The only major difference was the transition into a wolf, and the wolf bits involved a lot of...platforming! Horrible, I know.  :P

I loved Twilight Princess, and it's my third favorite Zelda title (and third favorite game of all time, after the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask), but it paled in comparison to these other two, in my opinion.  There were less interesting characters in general, the overwold felt empty, and in general the atmosphere felt weak (there awas nothing quite like the Lost Woods or the Swamp Temple).  The bosses were also rather unoriginal (the boss of the Forest Temple is a pirahna plant.  Yeah, we haven't seen THAT in a Nintendo game before).  Compare this to the likes of Ghomafrom the Ocarina of Time.  I'd say it easily bests Majora's Mask in dungeon design, however, and has some of the better puzzles in the series (I'm not sure why, but I have a love for those block puzzles).

Khuutra said:
makingmusic476 said:
Khuutra said:
makingmusic476 said:

Overall, I'm quite enjoying the game, which is certainly saying something, given my usual distaste for handheld gaming.

The Palace of the Ocean King is not a chore. The items you get allow you to move through each floor very, very rapidly, and as you continue to unlock new items new ways to shave off time are made apparent. There's at least one "halfway" point I'm aware of...

And beyond that, the temple is just fantastically designed. I could play it over and over and over. It's huge and complex and a blast to play.

And yes, you'll see when and if you replay Majora.

I still don't understand what you were trying to compare, however. What do you mean by "work with the environments"?