By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Review: PC BioShock Outshines 360 Version

considering the price and power difference, it seems the 360 version fares very well really.

This whole thing is pne of the reasons why the xbox is missing the mark as a console to me, I bought a console to play console type games, not weak versions of PC games with botched controls, if i wanted to play PC games, id do it on my PC.

Around the Network

for the rig well if you built it from the ground up.... and you want it to last a couple years yeah it's around 2000$ but you can make it last around 4 or 5 years at almost full capacity for most games.....

me I built mine in 2002 for 2500$ just the tower.... I don't remember the rpice of each component.....

but I bought a cheap medium tower with a power unit (which I changed when I moved to USA)
a 120 Go HDD 7200rpm maxtor
an ATI 9800 pro
a pentium 4 3Ghz FSB 800
an asusteck P4C800 pro delux (for the 4 RAM slot mostly but I have all the controller built in ethernet, SCSI, RAID etc.... )
4X256 mo of ram DDR (can't remember what frequence but 733 or something seems right)
a 5.1 terratec DMX6FIRE (as good as an audigy with more professional hardware for sound recording)
a fan for the processor and one for the tower
DVD drive samsung
CD RW drive sasmsung
a logitech webcam
a MS office keyboard
and a logitech optical wire mouse...
and a floppy disk (i actually used it for the first time a month ago after having totally crashed my system :P)

sorry it's not really accurate but i haven't been geeking for years lol.... but that rig cost me around 2500$ I bought everything myself through deferent wholesalers through a retail store didn't pay taxes and built it myself

but that was almost 6 years ago back then it was a monster :)

BenKenobi88 said:
Apparently console gamers think computers cost $2000+ to build...

I'm definitely getting Bioshock for PC...my PC cost $750, and it will run Bioshock fine.

I'm with Ben on this. I upgraded my computer recently... I didn't need speakers, a monitor, a keyboard, a mouse or a case... anyone with a PC should probably already have these things. A new video card (Radeon X1600), new Asus motherboard and processor (comparable to a pentium running at 4ghz+), 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM (added to a gig I already had), a heat sync and power supply ran me somewhere around $400-$500, and now I'm pretty well set for a few years. The new hard-drive and dvd burner I bought for reasons other than Bioshock (and didn't necessarily need them), so I'm not counting those.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

Man , I just remember the release of Oblivion ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

PlagueOfLocust said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Apparently console gamers think computers cost $2000+ to build...

I'm definitely getting Bioshock for PC...my PC cost $750, and it will run Bioshock fine.

I'm with Ben on this. I upgraded my computer recently... I didn't need speakers, a monitor, a keyboard, a mouse or a case... anyone with a PC should probably already have these things. A new video card (Radeon X1600), new Asus motherboard and processor (comparable to a pentium running at 4ghz+), 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM (added to a gig I already had), a heat sync and power supply ran me somewhere around $400-$500, and now I'm pretty well set for a few years. The new hard-drive and dvd burner I bought for reasons other than Bioshock (and didn't necessarily need them), so I'm not counting those.

well yeah but me I choosed it that way :)

I upgraded my living room with a "new" 2 pieces couch for 40$ bucks from a friend.... I bought a XB360 premium with 4 games 2 wireless controler a starter kit 1 year XBL for about 600$ a LN-S4095D samsung 40" lcd flat panel 1080p for about 2000$ with 3 years full warranty.... and a 5.1 logitech sound system  Z 5500(they actually send me 2) for 250$ refurbished.... 

so the PC it will be next year maybe and even then I don't think so... I really don't play that much anymore on PC... I like the confort of my living room with a pad a beer and friends around me lol :P I might get a Wii instead 

Around the Network

^ lol, didn't you tell me about this living room couch-preference in another thread? You couch-bum you.

Me, I got a Wii for couch-bumming, and a PC for the rough work of sitting in a chair to play games.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

Sqrl said:
Katilian said:

Monitor: You can get a nice monitor for $120 but if you want a very nice monitor you can get 22" monitors with 2000:1 contrast ratio and 2ms responce times for around $200-250. Lets just call this $250.

I'm curious, are there any 22" monitors on the market that do 1920x1200? I can't say I've looked that much, but when I purchased my 24" screen, all the 22" monitors I looked at were only 1680x1050.

There aren't any 22" 1920x1200 that I can find, but there are plenty of 24"+ if your wallet can bear the $500 price tag. But I honestly am not sure the boost in native resolution is all that worth it since 1680x1050 is fairly close to 1920x1080.

I would honestly only go past 1680x1050 if you have some sort of 8800 SLI setup, but thats just me I suppose.

I'll agree that the boost probably isn't worth it for gaming unless you have lots of extra cash around. My reasons for going to 24" were not gaming related in the slightest. My main issue with going to that is my previous setup was 2x17" running at 1280x1024. Now that I am only running a single monitor, 1680x1050 would lose too much of the previous realestate I was used to (although I must admit I'm still outright missing having two monitors...)

My other primary reason was I was after a monitor with component inputs as well (since I use it as my tv too). The only smaller LCD with component inputs I've seen is a 21" by Samsung. 

That all said, I run a lot of newer games in 1280x800 anyhow, because I've only got a 7900GS...

Just for the record I just got back from Target in my area and the game installs fine, so you don't have to wait for the deadline if you haven't purchased from steam yet. And yes I have already activated the game using the code on the back of the manual so it is for sure.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Oh, and btw the game looks great on 1680x1050 on my setup with full everything set to max and awesome framerates. You can check my specs out for reference in the pc spec thread.

To Each Man, Responsibility
PlagueOfLocust said:
^ lol, didn't you tell me about this living room couch-preference in another thread? You couch-bum you.

Me, I got a Wii for couch-bumming, and a PC for the rough work of sitting in a chair to play games.

yeap I did lol.... well... it's more the living room enviroment... because you can see me play sitting on the floor when the couch is crowded with friend.... or sitting on the coffee table or just standing up in front of the TV when I'm under pressure in a game...

it's just i'm done with associal enviroment of my PC and my desk.... I played MMORPG like ultima online on private shards and RTS like warcraft, total annihilation, starcraft, command conquer, civilisation all that stuff way too much... it was time to socialize again lol