By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New NiGHTS preview + screens (looking a lot better...)

Final-Fan said:
shams said:
Ari_Gold said:
the game is made by sonic team, therefore i still believe this game is gonna bomb.

Worries me too. Everyone was raving about Secret Rings, and its one of the worst gameplay experiences I have ever purchased. It could have been so good... so easily.

Still - hoping that NiGHTS is based on an existing gameplay model that people love, so it can't go all that wrong.

Unlike Sonic?

I have a tough time believing that people love Sonic games for the gameplay. Most of your time playing a Sonic game is spent watching scenery go by. It's beautiful scenery and the loops and various devices that throw you around are kind of cool, but there's not a whole lot to do except occasionally make a jump or stop in time to avoid an enemy. And on those rare occasions when you do run into an enemy the enemies are bland and uninteresting.

The only thing Sonic really has going for it is the insanely elaborate level designs. But the problem is that no matter where you go in the level it's more or less the same: loops, slides, rails, and devices that shoot you up in the air. 

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Around the Network
Non Sequor said:
Final-Fan said:
shams said:
Ari_Gold said:
the game is made by sonic team, therefore i still believe this game is gonna bomb.

Worries me too. Everyone was raving about Secret Rings, and its one of the worst gameplay experiences I have ever purchased. It could have been so good... so easily.

Still - hoping that NiGHTS is based on an existing gameplay model that people love, so it can't go all that wrong.

Unlike Sonic?

I have a tough time believing that people love Sonic games for the gameplay. Most of your time playing a Sonic game is spent watching scenery go by. It's beautiful scenery and the loops and various devices that throw you around are kind of cool, but there's not a whole lot to do except occasionally make a jump or stop in time to avoid an enemy. And on those rare occasions when you do run into an enemy the enemies are bland and uninteresting.

The only thing Sonic really has going for it is the insanely elaborate level designs. But the problem is that no matter where you go in the level it's more or less the same: loops, slides, rails, and devices that shoot you up in the air.

I disagree with your argument -- for one thing, first you claim it's just high-speed eye candy, and then you say it's got brilliant level design.  (I'll agree that it's got minimal focus on enemies -- they're more obstacles than anything else.)  But I also think that Sonic has yet to translate the 2D games people love into 3D games people love. 

NiGHTS, on the other hand, is mostly an odd sort of "2D stuff going on in a 3D world" from what little I've played of it; I don't know whether the new NiGHTS will be significantly different at that level, or how gamers will take to that style of gameplay.  Obviously NiGHTS fans will go for it, but the gaming public at large is a real unknown in this case. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

The game knocked SM64 off the top of the charts in the Japan, so that is amazing considering the Saturns sales.

Aye, looking much better. Can't wait to hear some hands-on impressions on this one.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

I haven't played the original NiGHTS so if anyone wants to explain to me why it's so good I might even rent it!

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers
Around the Network

Really looking forward to this game. This and (besides the big 3) Zack & Wiki.

Also: reminds me (graphics-wise) a bit Kameo. 

the 2nd screenshot looks lush...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

I never did get into this game. I bought it on my dreamcast and played it some but I never really got into it and moved on rather quickly. I sure hope it sells well because Sega needs a few hits but it's definitely a pass for me. Think a 9 YO girl would enjoy the game? Maybe my daughter will enjoy it...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

I'm going to go ahead and play devil's advocate here - I don't think these graphics are technically that much better than the previous ones. They just have a nice sky in the background instead of a huge stone ceiling. The lighting is improved a bit too, I'll give it that.

I'm not really complaining though, I thought the original shots looked fine.

kn said:
I never did get into this game. I bought it on my dreamcast and played it some but I never really got into it and moved on rather quickly. I sure hope it sells well because Sega needs a few hits but it's definitely a pass for me. Think a 9 YO girl would enjoy the game? Maybe my daughter will enjoy it...

I doubt you ever played this game. It's a Sega Saturn game, not a Dreamcast game, and the Dreamcast is not backwards compatible to the Saturn. I don't know what game you are thinking of, but it's not this. For those who haven't ever seen the original game play, this is what the gameplay looks like:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KKvLdIylY40

BenKenobi88:  Make sure you guys don't leave spaces after links...it screws it up.