By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Anyone see this? Playstation 3 costed $448.73 as of October 08 to make

Rainbird said:

Ah, that way. Although it would still be pretty bad method for indicating whether or not their guess is on or off-track, as the production cost will be much higher than in the beginning of the fiscal year than at the end of it.

This article mrstickball posted came out on December 29th, when the currency crash was already set in stone.

They would at least carry some of the blame for not indicating which assumptions they used (including currency levels). Even if we ignore whether they're to blame or not, the point is that their guess is rendered useless to us without knowing these assumptions.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

the price is always changing to make a ps3, it should be down to under 400 by next year.

Either way, it's interesting to see that they've stated the PS3 has shaved off $400 in costs since it's debut.

Assuming that said costs continued to decrease at a similar rate, that would put the PS3 @ costing around $225-$250 in 2 more years.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

maxpower, a Sony insider at blu-ray forums, stated that iSupply overstimated the cost of the BR-Drive and that the cost of a PS3 is at approximately 415$. So Sony is still loosing about 35-40$ per PS3 if we factor in shipping costs and retail margins etc.

NJ5 said:
Phrancheyez said:
NJ5 said:
papflesje said:
@ NJ: what would your guess be? Even higher, or closer to the second link that mrstickball posted?

I think these estimates might well be correct at the pre-currency-crash levels, since Sony was expecting to break even on hardware towards the end of the fiscal year. Right now it depends a lot on the mix of currencies Sony uses to pay manufacturing/components, so it's really anyone's guess but it can only be higher than $448.

That's a pretty bold statement..I'd have to respectfully disagree.  But, as you said, it's anyones guess...that's your guess, and this is mine.  But I don't think it's at or over $448.

OK I should have been more clear. That sentence I wrote is under the assumption that iSuppli was correct at the moment I mentioned.

If you are correct, you're not expecting SCE to post a loss in either of the last two quarters, right?

I'm not saying that..I didn't say I thought it was $400 or anything, it could be just a little lower.  I don't think groups like iSuppli take into consideration bulk ordering..Sony doesn't pay the same for a component if they buy it singularly vs. if they buy it in bulk, and that site has no way to know how much they pay for each component bought in bulk.  They're either assuming/estimating or they're basing it off buying each part individually, the former which is very hit-or-miss and the latter which would be way off.

You could be right..I just don't think it costs that much.  That's also as of October 2008, and things could easily have changed since then.

Around the Network
Phrancheyez said:

I'm not saying that..I didn't say I thought it was $400 or anything, it could be just a little lower.  I don't think groups like iSuppli take into consideration bulk ordering..Sony doesn't pay the same for a component if they buy it singularly vs. if they buy it in bulk, and that site has no way to know how much they pay for each component bought in bulk.  They're either assuming/estimating or they're basing it off buying each part individually, the former which is very hit-or-miss and the latter which would be way off.

You could be right..I just don't think it costs that much.  That's also as of October 2008, and things could easily have changed since then.

If you are right and iSuppli ignores these things, their estimates are not even worth looking at...

Also, notice that this article is from the 29th of December, not October as you said.

I'm pretty sure they take into consideration bulk purchasing. However, Sony may have some sort of underlying deals to decrease the cost.

I don't doubt it's an imperfect article. But we've seen so few semi-good teardown analysis of consoles since their launch, it's always nice to see someone is doing them, still.

Now, I'd love to see iSuppli do them for the 360 and Wii too.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:

Based on pricing from October 2008, the latest version of the PS3 carries a combined Bill of Materials (BOM), manufacturing and box-content cost of $448.73

The estimates are from October 2008...when the article was posted doesn't matter=P

NJ5 said:
Rainbird said:

Ah, that way. Although it would still be pretty bad method for indicating whether or not their guess is on or off-track, as the production cost will be much higher than in the beginning of the fiscal year than at the end of it.

This article mrstickball posted came out on December 29th, when the currency crash was already set in stone.

They would at least carry some of the blame for not indicating which assumptions they used (including currency levels). Even if we ignore whether they're to blame or not, the point is that their guess is rendered useless to us without knowing these assumptions.

Agreed

Phrancheyez said:
mrstickball said:

Based on pricing from October 2008, the latest version of the PS3 carries a combined Bill of Materials (BOM), manufacturing and box-content cost of $448.73

The estimates are from October 2008...when the article was posted doesn't matter=P

OK in that case I would like iSuppli to clarify whether they're talking about October dollars or December dollars. If they're talking about October dollars then it's very likely that it's higher in December dollars unless Sony pays for components in Australian/Canadian dollars or British Pound or Euro or one of the few other currencies which went down against the dollar.