By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TEH POWER OF THE PS3 - Can Drive real cars :P

http://www.qj.net/The-PS3-is-so-powerful-it-can-drive-a-car/pg/49/aid/99291

I don't know if it is true but it would be great to see :P

Here is a video of it :P http://www.qj.net/tags/darpa/1699

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Around the Network

Yes, and I'm sure the car can go a blazing 30 mph...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I can trust a computer with flying a plane...but not with cars yet.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Well, we have to wait for November 3rd to see how it ends... hope the car doesn't ends at the bottom of a cliff.

PS: I can't believe you just said "teh"... priceless...

TEH is the Uber way to say The :P 

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
Yes, and I'm sure the car can go a blazing 30 mph...

lol, is that a troll comment.......

scared of da powwwwa called cell!!!

Not really. I'm sure the Cell's mighty powerful, and probably the best mainstream chip to do the job of distinguishing foreign objects, when to turn, as well as other AI techniques to drive a car.

I just don't think even that's good enough...there are anomalies up the wazoo when it comes to car driving...it's the most dangerous and random way to travel, at least compared to flying planes or boats, which come across very few obstacles.

A Cell processor and "some infrared cameras" are not going to get me out of the driver's seat.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

BenKenobi88 said:

A Cell processor and "some infrared cameras" are not going to get me out of the driver's seat.

Just wait untill the it becomes a gov mandate, one day it will.

The biggest hurdle it seems would be to optimize the cameras, and how it interprets what the cameras see. There's all the stuff that those various camera systems pick up, such as dips in the road, incoming heat sources, various RGB imagery, whether or not something is too close to the car, etc...

If we want a car that is purely computer-driven, that can drive at 50 mph plus...a lot of work and advancing technology needs to be done on AI, processors, and cameras.

My brain can process a pedestrian hundreds of feet away, while keeping inline with the road, watching for potholes, construction cones, etc...I'll wait til there's a better alternative than my brain.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

BenKenobi88 said:
Not really. I'm sure the Cell's mighty powerful, and probably the best mainstream chip to do the job of distinguishing foreign objects, when to turn, as well as other AI techniques to drive a car.

I just don't think even that's good enough...there are anomalies up the wazoo when it comes to car driving...it's the most dangerous and random way to travel, at least compared to flying planes or boats, which come across very few obstacles.

Q(AB)FT... btw, the 'AB' = 'and bolded' :P

I am honestly worried about, not only the people who would let a ps3 drive them to places, but for the people in the cars around them

Obviously cars will eventually have something like this.. but this is not it (it might be only me though, but the way i see it is that by the time we figure out how to make cars think properly and drive us to the right places and etc, we'll have found a new, better, way of getting ourselves around)