By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Breaking News: Sony to post massive $1.7 billion loss

Its weird, but for the first time the old, early 2007 predictions of PS3 being discontinued within a few years actually have a whiff of plausibility. You guys are sort of guessing at how much of the total loss will come from SCE, but if its really $600M of $1.7B total, it has to be one of the first divisions to be "restructured."

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
FishyJoe said:
BengaBenga said:

Fishy: I can't find the figures quick, but you're saying that the $300 million SCE lowered expectation comes ON TOP of the $300 million lowered estimate from October?

The expectation was likely to be profitable, even just barely, so we might be looking at a loss at SCE of $500 million or 30% of Sony total loss! Wow. I expect massive cuts at SCE if true.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Damn. That would bring the total loss in 3 Years to 3.8 billion, just for SCE.

No worries. Sony will get 2nd job to pay for PS3.

magik10 said:
BengaBenga said:
FishyJoe said:
BengaBenga said:

Fishy: I can't find the figures quick, but you're saying that the $300 million SCE lowered expectation comes ON TOP of the $300 million lowered estimate from October?

The expectation was likely to be profitable, even just barely, so we might be looking at a loss at SCE of $500 million or 30% of Sony total loss! Wow. I expect massive cuts at SCE if true.

2nd job?? selling newspapers or what? xD

Erik Aston said:
Its weird, but for the first time the old, early 2007 predictions of PS3 being discontinued within a few years actually have a whiff of plausibility. You guys are sort of guessing at how much of the total loss will come from SCE, but if its really $600M of $1.7B total, it has to be one of the first divisions to be "restructured."

well it's of 2.23 billion, and around 300 million in losses have already been taken in this year by SCE, it was the other parts of Sony that kept them profitable the first 2 quarters.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Maynard_Tool said:
magik10 said:
BengaBenga said:
FishyJoe said:
BengaBenga said:

Maybe they can help manufacture Wii's and Balance Boards! There seems to be quite some demand for those. Looks like good business to me.

Around the Network

It can get worse:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article5564794.ece

One analyst at Nikko Citi said that the huge losses predicted by Sony were “the real thing” portending worse misery ahead: he said that the full year loss in the coming financial year could amount to Y600 billion if nothing more drastic is done to restructure the company. Sony's cash flow, said analysts, could also plunge to below critical levels next year.

BengaBenga said:
Maynard_Tool said:
magik10 said:
BengaBenga said:
FishyJoe said:
BengaBenga said:

Maybe they can help manufacture Wii's and Balance Boards! There seems to be quite some demand for those. Looks like good business to me.

:O if they do that... hahahaha that would be the best. I would like to see that actually

seriously though what affect do people think this will have on the playstation brand?

Jaw-dropping

Major restructuring needs to happen fast. It will be interesting to see what happens and which divisions change first.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Disposition said:
seriously though what affect do people think this will have on the playstation brand?

You can kiss any price cuts goodbye.