By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A 4th Console - Let's talk about Potential 8th Gen Contenders

There will be a 4th console next generation, perhaps even more. It won't be a mainstream device though, much like the HyperScan and the Zeebo.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

Around the Network

As I said already in another old post, Sega should get back to the console race.
Name of the console: SegawsomesauceofwinFOREVER. I'd so buy that.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

It IS possible but it will take creativity to create something different enough from the established brands to catch people's imagination but close enough 3rd party developers could port over their titles. Very few corporations have that much innovation.

If they follow Nintendo's model of selling at a profit instead of Sony & MS failed model of razor's & blades then they only need a modest amount of success to be profitable.

The biggest problem is needing an internal development studio. No upstart can rely solely on 3rd parties to provide content. They'll need strong internal development to create content that really 'brands' the console like the 'Wii' series brands the Wii as an accessible, fun console for all and Halo branded Xbox as a FPS, serious cutting edge gaming machine (a brand MS has since outgrown but served them well to break in).

Some developers could be bought - but - most are carrying large debtloads that would need to be absorbed too. Those that aren't will be expensive to purchase - however Take Two would be a prime acquistion. Imagine 2k sports and GTA exclusivity! And ah, Carnival games too. Creating studios from scratch is possible (lots of laid off industry people...) but risky and would lack any known IPs.

Therefore the only company I could envision would be Apple. They have a stake in being in your living room to deliver content (i-tunes), it would just be a modified Apple PC dedicated to games, tv, itunes, internet, etc. They'd still need to get internal development for games but they have the cash to do that and right now anything Apple touches is sexy cool and 'must have'.

Aside from Apple any small little upstart could do it with an original enough concept (and open source would do wonders) but it'd be very slow to grow and likely get shallowed (and then executed) by MS should it prove to be a potential threat.

apple is the only one i can see even thinking about entering the gaming market with a system. but i think it all depends on steve jobs health and involvement in it.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

I will never support ANY new companies making consoles unless by some miraculous chance sega returned. Three seperate consoles is already enough. Its already super expensive to play all games on all systems and another one would just be rediculous. So if anyone else enters i don't care if they have an amazing system i am having none of it unless on of the big 3 currently around drop out.

Around the Network
frybread said:
disolitude said:
I think there is potential for someone much smaller to come in to the console market.

Such as GPX2...and make it open source and see what people port. As well as get some internal people to make games for it...

Without a doubt this will be done.  Great example with the GP2x.

Everyone who says it won't happen, just think for a moment:

The old barriers of monster processors, big graphics cards, huge brand names are gone.  People will buy and play anything that's fun, including games from the 80's.  One of this generation's best games was made by two people.

Wii was originally designed to be $99 and still sold for profit.  Imagine a company that actually picks up on Miyamoto's original vision.

Good posts guys.
Let's not forget the Pandora (handheld). The last thing I heard is that manufacturing will begin in March of 2009.
Finally. It's great to see others in here who are "updated". You seem to know what's going on :D

Gamerace said:
It IS possible but it will take creativity to create something different enough from the established brands to catch people's imagination but close enough 3rd party developers could port over their titles. Very few corporations have that much innovation.

If they follow Nintendo's model of selling at a profit instead of Sony & MS failed model of razor's & blades then they only need a modest amount of success to be profitable.

The biggest problem is needing an internal development studio. No upstart can rely solely on 3rd parties to provide content. They'll need strong internal development to create content that really 'brands' the console like the 'Wii' series brands the Wii as an accessible, fun console for all and Halo branded Xbox as a FPS, serious cutting edge gaming machine (a brand MS has since outgrown but served them well to break in).

Some developers could be bought - but - most are carrying large debtloads that would need to be absorbed too. Those that aren't will be expensive to purchase - however Take Two would be a prime acquistion. Imagine 2k sports and GTA exclusivity! And ah, Carnival games too. Creating studios from scratch is possible (lots of laid off industry people...) but risky and would lack any known IPs.

Therefore the only company I could envision would be Apple. They have a stake in being in your living room to deliver content (i-tunes), it would just be a modified Apple PC dedicated to games, tv, itunes, internet, etc. They'd still need to get internal development for games but they have the cash to do that and right now anything Apple touches is sexy cool and 'must have'.

Aside from Apple any small little upstart could do it with an original enough concept (and open source would do wonders) but it'd be very slow to grow and likely get shallowed (and then executed) by MS should it prove to be a potential threat.

Good read Gamerace.
Yeah, everyone is talking about Apple. Apple could be the one to pull it off. The question is.. Who would they team up with?

Phillips, for the lulz
also, NO NOKIA

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

__XBrawlX__ said:

The only companies I could see making a console would be the following:
Panasonic M2, Q
Toshiba  
Sharp
LG CDi
Samsung 
Philips (jk :P) CDi
Acer
AMD
Dell Proprietary mess anyone? 
IBM 
Intel  
Sun Microsystems Too much at stake in comp. languages, biz
NVIDIA  

But most of all....
Apple
Sega They won't and can't do it.
EA Contract deals prevent this + they make too much on multi-plat titles.
Acti/Blizz Possibly, but publishing is too lucrative for them now.
Google (Imagine it o_0) This is highly possible to combat Microsoft.

I hope Samsung.

They look more and more like the new Sony. They're now almost a premium brand less than a decade after they got established on Western Markets.

iplay all the way baby!!!!! But really, I would probably buy it if there was such thing.