By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A 4th Console - Let's talk about Potential 8th Gen Contenders

scottie said:
Oh yeah, that reminds me. EA could never create a console. Most of their franchises are licensed to them under the condition that they must create the games for all viable platforms. If they tried to make madden exclusive to the EAbox, they would lose the rights to it

Not all rights, simply exclusivity rights. NFL 2kx with full NFL rosters would suddenly be possible, but Madden would exist

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

maybe sega will make a remarkable comeback, who knows?

Jo21 said:
Strategyking92 said:
No.
http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/125748/the-10-worst-selling-handhelds-of-all-time/
Look at # 9.

Nokia will have none of it.

look at 8.

nintendo then made the DS.

But, the micro was just another gba revision. I don't know how many units total GBA's sold, but there were only 2 versions of the n-gage, which sold about 3 million (to date, it's got a following in india)

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Not a single one of them.

Entering the hardware market is simply too cost prohibitive now. MS got the last seat at the table.

To be successful would require a sizable internal studio and lots of 3rd party and retail support.

1. Getting a sizable internal studio would be very tough short of buying out a bunch of studios and those studios are coming with huge price tags.

2. 3rd parties are already spread incredibly thin providing software for more platforms at once than ever before (2 Nintendo, 3 Sony, 1 MS, PC and Mobile = 8). They will be highly reluctant to spread themselves even further to support an unknown entry.

3. Retailers have limited shelf space which to support those 10 aforementioned platforms. Try asking them to make room for a 4th major home console and they'll laugh you out on your ass.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Not a single one of them.

Entering the hardware market is simply too cost prohibitive now. MS got the last seat at the table.

To be successful would require a sizable internal studio and lots of 3rd party and retail support.

1. Getting a sizable internal studio would be very tough short of buying out a bunch of studios and those studios are coming with huge price tags.

2. 3rd parties are already spread incredibly thin providing software for more platforms at once than ever before (2 Nintendo, 3 Sony, 1 MS, PC and Mobile = 8). They will be highly reluctant to spread themselves even further to support an unknown entry.

3. Retailers have limited shelf space which to support those 10 aforementioned platforms. Try asking them to make room for a 4th major home console and they'll laugh you out on your ass.

True. Then again, that's not really what this thread is about.
In the scenario above Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft leaves room for another competitor by not launching an 8th gen console in the next years to come. Thus the incentive for releasing a 4th console increases each and every year.

3. Again not an issue in the scenario. In 6-10 years bandwith will eventually run some "videogame shelf space retailers" out of business. Distribution is not a problem when it comes to meeting demand.
Shelf space is not a bottleneck when there are profits to be made . In the end flexible retailers always have to adjust (not the other way around).

Around the Network

I think there is potential for someone much smaller to come in to the console market.

Such as GPX2...and make it open source and see what people port. As well as get some internal people to make games for it...

As far as the giant companies are concerned...you know you are in trouble when Sony and Microsoft are fighting for scraps.

I can't see anyone entering the home console market but I can see someone perhaps going for handheld. Apple is already trying to say they are competing in the handheld market but they are pretty much just raking in money from games on the ipod touch/iphone.

I have a hard time seeing a 4th contender in the console market. Whomever in last place will most likely leave the market. I just dont think the industry can support 4 consoles.

I TAKE NO SIDES

There won't be a new one, but if Sega does come back oh this will be the best day ever unless Skies of Arcadia gets a equal...

Former something....

disolitude said:
I think there is potential for someone much smaller to come in to the console market.

Such as GPX2...and make it open source and see what people port. As well as get some internal people to make games for it...

Without a doubt this will be done.  Great example with the GP2x.

Everyone who says it won't happen, just think for a moment:

The old barriers of monster processors, big graphics cards, huge brand names are gone.  People will buy and play anything that's fun, including games from the 80's.  One of this generation's best games was made by two people.

Wii was originally designed to be $99 and still sold for profit.  Imagine a company that actually picks up on Miyamoto's original vision.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8