By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Obama orders halt to Gitmo trials....ALREADY

The_vagabond7 said:
lol, it's very flattering that you'd look elsewhere on the net for information about me.

So how about you actually try to refute my argument? Or you can play tough guy on the internet and complain that I'm a dick. Your call.

How about I do neither and just watch the kiddies play?

Around the Network
Jackson50 said:
Coca-Cola said:
what's gonna happen to the detainees?
are they coming to the U.S. soil?
then what?

Those who are eligible for release will be released in either the US or a country willing to accept them. Those who still have charges and trials pending will be moved to US soil. They will subsequently face trial in either a federal court or a military court; the current military commisions may still be used by the administration, but they will be revised to provide for more legal protection for detainees.

I'm assuming these detainees are not U.S. friendly.  so if other countries don't want them, they will be in the U.S.?

doesn't sound very safe.

Coca-Cola said:
Jackson50 said:
Coca-Cola said:
then what?

Those who are eligible for release will be released in either the US or a country willing to accept them. Those who still have charges and trials pending will be moved to US soil. They will subsequently face trial in either a federal court or a military court; the current military commisions may still be used by the administration, but they will be revised to provide for more legal protection for detainees.

I'm assuming these detainees are not U.S. friendly.  so if other countries don't want them, they will be in the U.S.?

doesn't sound very safe.

We have a winner, folks!  Finally someone agrees with me.

lol, I would think you were a hilarious satire if I hadn't been here for so long. You're a walking stereotype, and you crack me up.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:

What's the point of victory over an enemy if you become just as morally reprehensible in the process? Nietzsche and all that shit. Yeah it sucks that there are people willing to walk into a crowded area and blow themselves up. But a world super power that is willing to detain anyone anywhere for any reason, deny them habeus corpus and torture them isn't really a whole lot better. Both will instill fear and hate in the population of the world. It's not enough to destroy terrorists, they have to be destroyed in such a way that doesn't leave the world more afraid of you afterwords. An ideological battle has to be won ideologically. And mock executions to force confessions isn't going to convince anyone that you're the good guy in this fight.

Halogamer doesn't understand stuff like this.  You shouldn't even try.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
halogamer1989 said:

Give me a break. He even called off the prosecution of Khalid Sheik Mohammed. This is just bullcrap bureacratic nonsense that will be taken advantage of by operative cells. In other news: Hippies rejoice!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/washington/22gitmo.html?_r=1&hp

NYT is 1st to report-- how typical.

Took you less than 24 hrs to post this? Man i dk what to say.

I will say your attempt at belittling people by reffering to their personal information on a public thread is pretty pathetic. Don't you have a valid argument to make? Go and join Rocketpig, your both using ring wing talking points in order to generalise and attack normal people. btw, more than 50% of the US are clearly more ashamed of torture and illegal wars than you are, afterall McCain lost.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Coca-Cola said:
Jackson50 said:
Coca-Cola said:
then what?

doesn't sound very safe.

Unfortunately, we cannot detain people indefinitely simply because it does not sound very safe. If we do not have enough evidence to bring them to trial and/or convict them...is it not fair to release them?

its sort of a catch 22 now.

If I were kept in a hell hole for 4 years without any legal way of defending myself, I'd be pretty pissed, even if i wasn't a terrorist.

Jackson50 said:
Coca-Cola said:
Jackson50 said:
Coca-Cola said:
then what?

doesn't sound very safe.

Unfortunately, we cannot detain people indefinitely simply because it does not sound very safe. If we do not have enough evidence to bring them to trial and/or convict them...is it not fair to release them?

No! You drill the little bitches eye out, keep him up for 72 hours, starve him then throw him a piece of meat, and then after he gobbles it down you tell him that was a piece of his daughters thigh! Make the little bitch tell you where Obama...oops I mean OSAMA is!! AMERICA WILL NOT SURRENDER, HOO-RAH!

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Jackson50 said:
Coca-Cola said:
Jackson50 said:
Coca-Cola said:
then what?

doesn't sound very safe.

It seems some people think that the people in Guantanamo are all Jihadist Jack Bauers... most of them are broken men and they certainly can't do anything against normal prison security..

This isn't an American action movie.. where the bad guys kills ordinary security guards and bust outta jail.