By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

wow, even I can't defend such stupid statements.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
crumas2 said:
Kh shouldn't say, "hey, we're going to come in last.". He should be saying how they're going to come back with a vengeance. No stockholder is fooled or encourage by an ostrich act.

It's hard to imagine that one who still has holdings in sony is as intellegent as you seem to think they are.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Ehm, let me see: cause a) it's "stealing" potential costumers and therefore loses marketshare and b) because it's "stealing" exclusives from them. Seems to me they are competing...

That would be the definition of competition. And yes for the Japanese market and Japanese developers it is definitely true. The Wii gets exclusives that would have otherwise come to the PS3 and therefore most likely gets sales that normally would have gone to the PS3. In Japan Wii and PS3 are directly competing.

In the rest of the world they barely do. The games developed for Wii and PS360 are completely different. I am pretty sure that the same is true for customers. If you are interested in FPS or if you like GTA the Wii is not even an option. If you want a cheap fun game box to play with friends you will not buy a PS3. The PS2 also had parts of the casual market the Wii now owns, on the other hand with the exception of Singstar the PS3 almost hasn't made any attempt to get this market this gen and with the current price it would be a stupid attempt anyway. In the rest of the world the Wii is much more competing with the PS2.

badgenome said:
oliist said:
Which person could become his successor?

I hear this guy is looking for a job:

Overqualified.

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

xman said:
steverhcp02 said:
the reason the Wii is selling at a record pace is because its appealing to demo's that no other console in history has. Its a compliment....Sony, consumers, MSFT it doesnt matter who says it...i dont understand why people cant just step back and accept the Wii is selling oodles because, 4 nurses i work with talk about "wii fitting" and 3 pharmacists, in their 40's went looking "for the wii fit" .... folks, you can call it denial but the reason the Wii is selling like this is because its different.....the general public, my grandparents and my aunts and uncles, my coworkers and fellow students dont view it as a videogame system in the traditional sense...i dont understand why us gamers and nintendo fanboys also cant. The general public has no problem acknowledging it, but for some reason the "hardcore" crowd does. Weird.

Sony fans talking about "year of th ePS3" are just as bad as videogame fans not accepting the Wii is in a different market...and for gods sake its a GOOD thing, thats WHY its selling like it is. god stop taking it personally because you people label yourselves as gamers....the Wii is different, still a console, but clearly a different market. again not a bad thing, just different.

You hit the nail on the head, had a friend over who hasnt touched a console in 20 years we went in and played WII sports he loved it had fun, then we went and tried to play call of duty world at war he couldnt even look up, move around or fire.  Spent 20 minutes and didnt get one enemy.  He will be buying a WII. 

Bam! Both of you just described direct competition

Around the Network
Kyros said:
Ehm, let me see: cause a) it's "stealing" potential costumers and therefore loses marketshare and b) because it's "stealing" exclusives from them. Seems to me they are competing...

That would be the definition of competition. And yes for the Japanese market and Japanese developers it is definitely true. The Wii gets exclusives that would have otherwise come to the PS3 and therefore most likely gets sales that normally would have gone to the PS3. In Japan Wii and PS3 are directly competing.

In the rest of the world they barely do. The games developed for Wii and PS360 are completely different. I am pretty sure that the same is true for customers. If you are interested in FPS or if you like GTA the Wii is not even an option. If you want a cheap fun game box to play with friends you will not buy a PS3. The PS2 also had parts of the casual market the Wii now owns, on the other hand with the exception of Singstar the PS3 almost hasn't made any attempt to get this market this gen and with the current price it would be a stupid attempt anyway. In the rest of the world the Wii is much more competing with the PS2.

Bolded = Direct Competition

what do you expect them to say, WII is totally destroying both us and MS, we cant compete with them this generation cause they have it already won. And for MS we had no idea they would actually be able to compete after sony beat the xbox they figured the 360 would be easy and that would be the end of MS and consoles. MS this generation had done well and still has an 8 million lead.

Its like football when you let another team hang around through out the game in the end they may end up beating you. I think the PS3 may overtake the 360 in 2010-20100 but by then its two late, MS got the 3rd party support and showed they are a real player in the console market. The 360 looks to have a bright future. Sony needs to do less PR and drop the price.

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

I thought he was fired?

xman said:
what do you expect them to say, WII is totally destroying both us and MS, we cant compete with them this generation cause they have it already won. And for MS we had no idea they would actually be able to compete after sony beat the xbox they figured the 360 would be easy and that would be the end of MS and consoles. MS this generation had done well and still has an 8 million lead.

Its like football when you let another team hang around through out the game in the end they may end up beating you. I think the PS3 may overtake the 360 in 2010-20100 but by then its two late, MS got the 3rd party support and showed they are a real player in the console market. The 360 looks to have a bright future. Sony needs to do less PR and drop the price.

Two lates are better than one.

Hirai gives Greenberg a run for his money... lol.