By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

FishyJoe said:
I can think of more than a few dummies that made it to CEO.

ok, go ahead and spill the beans...

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Goddbless said:
I think Kaz is the one who doesn't have any longevity. He may be gone soon if things don't start to look up.

Switching CEOs every 10 minutes isn't a good idea. Kaz hasn't even had anytime to shine yet. look how the whole concept of "ps3" changed when Kutaragi was removed:  gradual disappearance to no BC, 2 usb ports, change in marketing campaign, etc.

If they switch CEOs again this gen, ps3 may end up being unable to define by the end of its run

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

kars said:
magik10 said:
This my favorite quote:

"
We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai."

he's nuts.....

Not really, this is just a smoke screen to hide the fact that the PS-3 was in deep trouble, when Sony realized that they were unable to develop the companion chip for the PS-3. In this moment the whole programming model for the PS-3 went up in smoke. They had an expensive special designed processor but suddenly they were unable to use it efficiently. And a part of their efforts was also used to create the heart of their direct competitor, the triple core of the Xbox360.

Kinda does sound like the N64s "Dream Team" of developers though.

@Steverhcp: By looking at your arguments and examples, are you trying to say, that Wii caters to a market that PS3 can't reach along with the core market, that is competetive? Nobody is denying that each wouldn't have a segment in the demographics that the other can't reach, but the majority of the market reached this gen have been the competetive one. And that's the thing people argue. The only reason it looks like they are in different markets, is because PS3 have taken a heavy beating from Wii in the core market.
If you think what Kaz is saying, is that they are running away from Wii (into a niche market), ie "Sony surrender", which puts the future of PS3 into a bad light.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

steverhcp02 said:

it seems to me the biggest barrier here is people who own one console or another or who enjoy epeen arguments and debates just not understanding what theyre saying or reading.

The wii is innovative its advanced into its own market and expanded its userbase and demographics. To say in one breath the Wii is innovative and yet also remains in the same market as the PS3 and 360 is not only hipocritical but ridiculous. The wii has expanded and grown and reached dmeographics and the product itself is simply not in the same market as the console and videogame industry that we have all known.

the main problem in these "ZOMG sony is in denial" threads is people that are still stuck on "videogame market" as a constant. The PS3 and 360 have remained and cater to the original histrorical "market" and the wii has evolved what we have always viewed as a constant...controlle rin hand, pushing buttons on our couch shoot em or score points system.

Look, its ridiculous to say the wii doesnt play or sell videogames, but its just as ridiculous to not be able to understand WHY the wii is selling buttloads. Its seriously getting ridiculous that the majority of the people arguing for Hirai to shut up and ramining firm in the stance that the Wii competes with the PS3 DIRECTLY refuse to acknowledge the real variables at work.

its not denial, its not anger its not a 5 step process....the wii has expanded immensly how people VIEW videogames....because of this it cant be thrown in with tradition systems or systems that really only have one thing in common, putting a disc in a box and things showing up on screen. you cant just take one aspect that these things have in common and say theyre teh same because of this one thing.

People need to just understand its very simple. the HD consoles over higher resolution, video on demand, rental services, advanced audio, graphics and traitions control schemes. The variables and aspects of the Wii and 360 and PS3 literally have few things in common so i dont understand how people who are knowledgable about these systems can still argue theyre in the same market when theyre really not very similar in their functions.

They have some common variables but a far greater amount of things different....they simply cant be compared directly....

Nintendo has prospered BECAUSE of this, the wii has prospered BECAUSE of this. the reason its so successful is because it is different! why is this so hard to understand! it doesnt diminish what the system does or has accomplished, its not a stab at gaming its just simply different and created its own market. its a good thing for gods sake. its different.

This is an excellent post, and i must commend you for putting a lot of thought behind it.

One thing i must say though, is that a lot of people seem to be taking the "nitendo says they are not competing too" statement out of context, ninendo do not say that, what they say is " we are not competing with Microsoft or sony, but competing against the consumer disinterest to gaming", when you cut that statement in half like so many people do  you only see half of the bigger picture. To me what that statement meansis Nintendo see's Sony and Microsoft as irrelevent.

Throughout this Gen and a little before it  (when the  Wii system was announced) people have not been listening to Nintendo and have beeen taking taking only small parts of thier statements, and leaving out totally releve. What this does is take the what they say totally out of context and make it sound like something totally different. 

If Microsoft and Sony and the whole industry actually listened they would have known a storm was brewing a long time ago, and done something bout it. Obviousy this is all my opinion, just my 2 cent.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Around the Network

this guy changed the name of the theard just so he can piss off Sony haters, which isn't hard, just put the words ''PS3'' and ''win'' in the name of the theard and you got 50 sony haters and 170 replays

BornFirst. said:

If Microsoft and Sony and the whole industry actually listened they would have known a storm was brewing a long time ago, and done something bout it. Obviousy this is all my opinion, just my 2 cent.

I think Microsoft knew what they were doing but they had little choice. The Xbox360 was clearly targeted as a low cost PC. They had their best chances in this environment and they had to counter Sonys PS-3, while they also had to be faster. The early release of the Xbox360 was very risky, but now they are in the right place. The console can be produced cheap enough to earn money and still be competitive. Furthermore the next Xbox can be designed based on the current version, they won't need any bigger modifications, insatead they can simply use Moores Law to be faster and cheap and be compatible to the current plattform. They will not be the winner of this generation but they will probably earn more money than they had to invest for the Xbox360 ahnd can start to think how they might react to the Wii 2.

Sony simply had the problem that Katuragi made the system too expensive "Eight is a beautiful number" as the reason for  a design change of the Cell from six to eight SPUs and then the disaster of the companion chip... I thiunk this was the time when Sony knew that they were in trouble. They demonstrated a nhearly perfect crisis management but the current financial crisis is pretty bad.

And before someone tries to describe my opinion as that of a Xbox360 fanboy: I own a PS-3 and no Xbox360.

NJ5 said:
FJ-Warez said:
"I'd like to think that we continue official leadership in this industry."

This should help us to understand the ways of his deluded mind XD

You forgot the best part:

"regardless of install base, or who sold more and when"

This is serious stuff.

I know he needs to stay in the "optimistic" zone, but d@mn, he sounds like a regular poster from any forum...

Avoiding any metrics of comercial success is only showing how bad the situation really is.

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

I wish they could spend more time on ps3 and just try to make great games for it instead of this.

I didn't bother to read the thread past the OP, I can probably predict what went on anyways.

That said, I really wish Kaz Hirai would have stepped down instead of Phil Harrison.

Sony gets a lot of negative press as a whole company because of a small minority of arrogant executives. I feel with Trenton and Harrison, both more realistic with their PR, that negative image would go away.
Oh well, not surprised by this. Not really affected, either.