By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

and they are loosing because they believe they are winning, poor Sony

Around the Network

Casual and sports gaming has been keeping the PS2 alive for so long. Look at the best sellers in the past few years, without casual and sports gamers the PS2 would be dead as doornails.

It's funny that Kaz mentioned God of War 2 as the thing that keeping the PS2 going. But if you really look at the numbers, it's the casual and sports games that dominate the PS2 late life lineup. So far the PS3 seems to be holding part of the sports market, but it will never dominate like the PS2 did. The casual market is lost.

BengaBenga said:
HappySqurriel said:

One thing I find particularly interesting is that people use their own personal assumptions to conclude that "Casual" gamers are mostly new to gaming and that they will eventually graduate to "Hardcore" games ...

I could be wrong but I suspect that if we had complete data from previous generations, added up multiplatform releases, and then listed games that sold more than 250,000 units we would see that what people define as "Casual" gaming has been huge for quite some time.

Just check the PS2 Top 50. Casual gaming was basically invented by PlayStation (hence the hatred from Sega, Nintendo and PC gamers that Sony killed hardcore gaming when the PS1 took off. Funny...).

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?&results=50&name=&console=PS2&keyword=&publisher=&genre=&order=Sales&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=

True enough ... but I was thinking in much broader terms.

While the Playstation and Gameboy systems have had massive success by building libraries of games that would be called "Casual" today, most consoles and the PC have seen a lot of successful "Casual" games (sold 125,000+ copies); and there has been to of flash games that have satisfied gamers throughout the years. While I don't have numbers to back it up, I suspect games like The Sims have nearly as large of an audience as most of the biggest "Hardcore" games, and these kinds of gamers were mostly ignored heading into this generation.

HappySqurriel said:

True enough ... but I was thinking in much broader terms.

While the Playstation and Gameboy systems have had massive success by building libraries of games that would be called "Casual" today, most consoles and the PC have seen a lot of successful "Casual" games (sold 125,000+ copies); and there has been to of flash games that have satisfied gamers throughout the years. While I don't have numbers to back it up, I suspect games like The Sims have nearly as large of an audience as most of the biggest "Hardcore" games, and these kinds of gamers were mostly ignored heading into this generation.

Well we know that the Bejeweled franchise ( 1 & 2 ) has sold 25 million copies in 8 years.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19915

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

FishyJoe said:
One thing I don't understand is why they keep boxing themselves into a corner. If they release a new console before the 10 years is up, they will never hear the end of it.

As long as they still manufacture it and sell 1 unit in its 10th year, they can claim PS3 lasts 10 years. I don't think it's that a big a deal for them to release a new console before 10 year is up.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network

Kaz doesn't have to admit that the PS3 is getting its ass handed to it so bluntly by its competitors (whoamg!! that means Wii is competing after all), but he certainly doesn't have to create arrogant delusions and then waste our time by telling us all about them. He would do his job a lot better if he were in touch with reality.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Wow. It's confirmed. The Playstation 3 is the current leader this generation. Why? Because the Xbox 360 lacks longevity and the Wii isn't really a console. But wait! Because Playstation 2 is inside the Playstation 3, Gamecube is inside the Wii, Xbox is inside the Xbox 360, and Dreamcast is just a Playstation with better graphics (Playstation is inside the Playstation 2, which is inside the Playstation 3), the Playstation 3 is the leader of this generation, last generation, and every generation before because all previous consoles are obsolte. Also, the portables don't count, and PC is dead, so the Playstation 3 is the best selling console in the world, and it always will be. Why? Because the Playstation 3 is 4D and it will always be available for sale!

ClaudeLv250 said:
Kaz doesn't have to admit that the PS3 is getting its ass handed to it so bluntly by its competitors (whoamg!! that means Wii is competing after all), but he certainly doesn't have to create arrogant delusions and then waste our time by telling us all about them. He would do his job a lot better if he were in touch with reality.

what a lot of people think is a lot different from what they say. This is most likely the truth in this case. You don't make it to CEO by being a dummy.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I can think of more than a few dummies that made it to CEO.

I think Kaz is the one who doesn't have any longevity. He may be gone soon if things don't start to look up.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo