By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

i love how sony and their fanboys have all said nintendo isnt in teh same market. lets look at this for a second does both the wii and ps3 play video games?? yes do both have game controllers to play characters during these games?? yes are the same games on both systems more often then not?? yes do the systems hook up to your tv to play those games?? yes do they go after the same mighty dollar each and every second of the day?? yes just because the ps3 can display HD graphics doesnt mean its not in teh same market. to say the wii is geared toward a different group of people is just dumb.

the problem i have is look at last gen the ps2 was geared toward the casual audience. you knwo the same audience nintendo is geared toward this gen. and the ps2 was considered a game machine throught the entire time and was claimed the victor. now since the ps3 is actually geared toward the casuals as well the only difference is the casuals dont care. so if the wii isnt int eh same market then it is in the best market and the ps3 and xbox360 must be in a bad market. which isnt a good sign.

so if the ps3 isnt in teh same market as the wii then why do sony and their fanboys even talka bout nintendo and their fanboys? maybe its cause it is in the same market and they are all still in denial.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

Around the Network
steverhcp02 said:

it seems to me the biggest barrier here is people who own one console or another or who enjoy epeen arguments and debates just not understanding what theyre saying or reading.

The wii is innovative its advanced into its own market and expanded its userbase and demographics. To say in one breath the Wii is innovative and yet also remains in the same market as the PS3 and 360 is not only hipocritical but ridiculous. The wii has expanded and grown and reached dmeographics and the product itself is simply not in the same market as the console and videogame industry that we have all known.

the main problem in these "ZOMG sony is in denial" threads is people that are still stuck on "videogame market" as a constant. The PS3 and 360 have remained and cater to the original histrorical "market" and the wii has evolved what we have always viewed as a constant...controlle rin hand, pushing buttons on our couch shoot em or score points system.

Look, its ridiculous to say the wii doesnt play or sell videogames, but its just as ridiculous to not be able to understand WHY the wii is selling buttloads. Its seriously getting ridiculous that the majority of the people arguing for Hirai to shut up and ramining firm in the stance that the Wii competes with the PS3 DIRECTLY refuse to acknowledge the real variables at work.

its not denial, its not anger its not a 5 step process....the wii has expanded immensly how people VIEW videogames....because of this it cant be thrown in with tradition systems or systems that really only have one thing in common, putting a disc in a box and things showing up on screen. you cant just take one aspect that these things have in common and say theyre teh same because of this one thing.

People need to just understand its very simple. the HD consoles over higher resolution, video on demand, rental services, advanced audio, graphics and traitions control schemes. The variables and aspects of the Wii and 360 and PS3 literally have few things in common so i dont understand how people who are knowledgable about these systems can still argue theyre in the same market when theyre really not very similar in their functions.

They have some common variables but a far greater amount of things different....they simply cant be compared directly....

Nintendo has prospered BECAUSE of this, the wii has prospered BECAUSE of this. the reason its so successful is because it is different! why is this so hard to understand! it doesnt diminish what the system does or has accomplished, its not a stab at gaming its just simply different and created its own market. its a good thing for gods sake. its different.

ok so what your saying is that since the ps3 can play bluerays and displays in HD then it is not in the same market. ok so it must not play videogames, surf the net, have avatars(aka mii's), have a friends network, play online, and my favorite have motion controls in their controller. hhmm seems to me i just proved you wrong. thanks for playing

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

steverhcp02 said:

They have some common variables but a far greater amount of things different....they simply cant be compared directly....

This is true and why Nintendo say they aren't competing ( they offer a different set of values ).

However Nintendo omits that the monies and resurces devoted to enterntainment are finite thus the huge Ninteno success is impacting other companies.

Speaking strictly about interactive entertainment business they are demonstarting that the set of values that they have chosen are the superior one ( business point of view ) in  the current context.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Kyros said:
Also explain to me how NPD says that 70% of Wii owners had a PS2?

The PS2 at least in the end had a big part of the "casual" crowd, that is now owned by the Wii no question. On the other hand the PS3 at 400$ with a BluRay drive is hardly trying to reach this target group at the moment. I won't argue that Sony would like to have it but until the price is much smaller and they have some more games than SingStar and Buzz to capture this crowd they are not competing for this market in earnest. The Ps3 is not competing in all markets the PS2 owned. Of course there is some overlap but more or less the market that was owned by the PS2 has been split into two this gen. And at least until now the one half is fought upon between Ps3 and 360 and the other half is owned by the wii. And yes there are some Zelda fans marooned on the Wii half and some casuals have been captured by the Singstar Ps3. But if you look at the western games announced for Wii and Ps360 it is clear that the publishers and developers are coming to the same conclusion.

Very true. Yet it expects the same results.

But, let me also try my hand at what he could have said:

"The PS3 continues to offer experiences no other console can. Many highly anticipated projects are chosen for the PS3 because of the technical capibility of the system. The PS3 has been hugely successful in advancing the Blu Ray format and will continue to offer the highest quality and most versitile option for customers looking for the best movie watching experience. We plan to support the PS3 for ten years and believe it will offer just the right balance for a large number of consumers for years to come. We also know that the industry is always changing and several years down the road when the time is right the research put into the PS3 will put Sony in the absolute best position to efficiently move into the future of gaming."

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

steverhcp02 said:

it seems to me the biggest barrier here is people who own one console or another or who enjoy epeen arguments and debates just not understanding what theyre saying or reading.

The wii is innovative its advanced into its own market and expanded its userbase and demographics. To say in one breath the Wii is innovative and yet also remains in the same market as the PS3 and 360 is not only hipocritical but ridiculous. The wii has expanded and grown and reached dmeographics and the product itself is simply not in the same market as the console and videogame industry that we have all known.

the main problem in these "ZOMG sony is in denial" threads is people that are still stuck on "videogame market" as a constant. The PS3 and 360 have remained and cater to the original histrorical "market" and the wii has evolved what we have always viewed as a constant...controlle rin hand, pushing buttons on our couch shoot em or score points system.

Look, its ridiculous to say the wii doesnt play or sell videogames, but its just as ridiculous to not be able to understand WHY the wii is selling buttloads. Its seriously getting ridiculous that the majority of the people arguing for Hirai to shut up and ramining firm in the stance that the Wii competes with the PS3 DIRECTLY refuse to acknowledge the real variables at work.

its not denial, its not anger its not a 5 step process....the wii has expanded immensly how people VIEW videogames....because of this it cant be thrown in with tradition systems or systems that really only have one thing in common, putting a disc in a box and things showing up on screen. you cant just take one aspect that these things have in common and say theyre teh same because of this one thing.

People need to just understand its very simple. the HD consoles over higher resolution, video on demand, rental services, advanced audio, graphics and traitions control schemes. The variables and aspects of the Wii and 360 and PS3 literally have few things in common so i dont understand how people who are knowledgable about these systems can still argue theyre in the same market when theyre really not very similar in their functions.

Nintendo has prospered BECAUSE of this, the wii has prospered BECAUSE of this. the reason its so successful is because it is different! why is this so hard to understand! it doesnt diminish what the system does or has accomplished, its not a stab at gaming its just simply different and created its own market. its a good thing for gods sake. its different.

Well, it all comes down to how you define competition ... Personally, I look at it along the lines of competition for finite development resources and competition for system sales; and I would define how direct the competition is based on how likely the performance of one system will impact another system's access to development resources, and how likely the sale of one system will prevent the sale of another system.

With that in mind we can see that (while there is some competition between home consoles and handhelds) there is not much direct competition between home consoles and handhelds because the massive success of the Playstation and PS2 didn't have much impact on the massive success of the Gameboy, Gameboy Advance or Nintendo DS.

In contrast, the Wii and HD consoles are fighting over the same development resources and games, and buying one of the consoles does have an impact on your likelyhood to buy another console. While the Wii may not be in as direct competition as consoles have been in recent time, and the PS3 and XBox 360 may be in more direct competition than most previous consoles have been, there is still enough direct competition between the Wii and HD consoles that it is foolish to ignore it.

Around the Network

"I'd like to think that we continue official leadership in this industry."

This should help us to understand the ways of his deluded mind XD

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
FJ-Warez said:
"I'd like to think that we continue official leadership in this industry."

This should help us to understand the ways of his deluded mind XD

You forgot the best part:

"regardless of install base, or who sold more and when"

This is serious stuff.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

He's wearing pink sunglasses.

scorptile said:
steverhcp02 said:

ok so what your saying is that since the ps3 can play bluerays and displays in HD then it is not in the same market. ok so it must not play videogames, surf the net, have avatars(aka mii's), have a friends network, play online, and my favorite have motion controls in their controller. hhmm seems to me i just proved you wrong. thanks for playing

i dont understand what i was playing...but you certainly fit the exact definition of someone who just doesnt understand and get it. Im not saying they dont COMPETE, any product with overlaping similarities can COMPETE with one another but to ignore all of the differences and not acknowledge them is stupid.

Kaz Hirai is in la la land.