By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9 Reasons Why Blu-Ray Will Succeed

I don't buy anymore read-only drives for my PC, so I'll buy a BD-R/RE when it's priced under 100€, maybe under 80€, if I still won't feel the urge when it's 99€. To replace the almost dying VHS I'll make my dad buy a DVD-R with HDD when we'll be able to get a >=160GB for less than 160-180€, the time is nearly here, BD can still wait as we haven't an HDTV yet and we want a bigger than our current 4:3 34" to be quite a bit cheaper than now. A combo BD player-DVD writer with >=160GB HDD could be fine, but we won't raise the price limit, so I don't think we'll find a cheap enough one before replacing the VHS isn't postponable anymore.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

the best reason is that sony simply wont let blu ray fail.

I don't think blu-ray will fail, but 6 of the points in the article have very little bearing on the success/failure of blu-ray.

Hilariously enough his own article from January 5th about a guy who's not even watching HD television on his HD TV highlights Blu-ray's biggest problem, most people do just fine with standard def.

But clearly he has a solution for that in this article, we're not using massive HD projection systems, clearly if we all did that Blu-ray would blow us away. Just hang on a minute while I rush out to best buy and fork over one of those big piles of cash I just have laying around, and then I'll be able to notice a huge difference too!!!

1-6 are valid points, although kinda obvious.

7 is uncertain. PS3 sales might be significantly better in 2009 than 2008, but at this point it's far from guaranteed.

8 and 9 are challenges BR faces, not reasons it will succeed. Ways in which these problems are being tackled would be great, but this guy is just saying "they're working on a solution... take my word for it!"

Around the Network

GrotesqueOne said: From: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-10142913-82.html

My reaction/thoughts (not in bold)

1. Digital downloads will not eliminate the need for discs anytime soon.

It has in music.

2. Having one clear standard is a big advantage.

True. Isn't that DVD?

3. Blu-ray isn't going to be replaced by another disc format anytime soon.

BRD is trying to replace a standard. It is not the standard.

4. Prices for large-screen HDTVs will continue to drop.

Maybe. But demand is so far down that the No. 2 US electronics retailer folded.

5. Prices for Blu-ray players will continue to drop.

Right now, they are almost as low as VCRs in the mid-1990s (mid $200 range)

6. Prices for Blu-ray discs will drop to near DVD price levels.

Near <> as low as

7. Sony will sell lots of PlayStation 3 game consoles.

They have not shown a propensity to do this so far.

8. Sony can't afford to have Blu-ray fail.

True. Not sure what it cano do about it.

9. Sony and its partners will figure out a way to have Blu-ray resonate with the public.

Partners like Samsung which is already talking about the advantages of Digital Downloads.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

It depends on what you call success.

If you rate success as sharing the spotlight with DVD and digital downloads, then yeah it will be successful.

If you define success as having the same market share as DVD at its peak, then no blu-ray will never achieve that level of success.

Important to remember that due to pirating issues the studios want BR to replace DVD ASAP. They will drop DVD at the first reasonable opportunity.

misterd said:
Important to remember that due to pirating issues the studios want BR to replace DVD ASAP. They will drop DVD at the first reasonable opportunity.

Important to remember that it's consumers, not providers, that decide what formats are used.  If consumers still want DVDs, consumers will get DVDs... or they'll start downloading the analog rips of BR movies that are still >= DVD quality, or they'll start looking into digital distribution, or any number of other solutions.

It's not content providers that decide what format people buy in; ask the RIAA.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

FishyJoe said:
It depends on what you call success.

If you rate success as sharing the spotlight with DVD and digital downloads, then yeah it will be successful.

If you define success as having the same market share as DVD at its peak, then no blu-ray will never achieve that level of success.

Well, BD consortium may well be content with this "second choice" success, as it would happen in a very enlarged market, so even not reaching DVD's share, it could possibly exceed its absolute numbers.

Anyway DVD is getting its maximum spread during the last 2-3 years (even more on PC's, as prices dropped first under the $100 psychological threshold), since commodity priced players first, writers after, started appearing. In the same way BD won't get its best until these same conditions are satisfied. But this is about drives, blank media will gain the same success as soon as they get cheap, because their capacity is a clear advantage, OTOH recorded contents could struggle  more if not heavily helped by the majors, as as long as a consistent price difference will exist between the same title in BD and DVD, most people will buy more expensive BD versions only for the best movies and/or those with heavier use of effects, or the best photography, etc.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!