By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS accused of hurting web browser competition

kowenicki said:

already posted

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=57285&page=5

strange how its always sony fans that post this kind of stuff...

Really?  The people that bitch about IE and promote/use Firefox or Mac are generally the very same people that are Xbox 360 fanboys.  I've noticed this over and over again for years.  The common defense is "younger people run the XBox division."

Around the Network
drpunk said:

They can't win.

They make it as bad as possible, open to all manner of attacks, slow and just plain annoying.

Yet people still use the bloody thing!!!!!!!!!!

Stop bundling it and let everyone telnet Opera/Firefox/Chrome/IE.

That'll learn 'em.

IE has a lot more security built in than other browsers, but it it also targetted more because of it's vast marketshare. I don't find it slow or annoying. I use IE at home and I use Firefox at the office, and they're both good. However, IE has a lot of business uses that firefox doesn't. Forcing MS to "unbundle" IE is ridiculous. It's part of the operating system. That's like forcing them to remove Windows explorer because noone can create profitable software to view folders and open files.

And worse, I would be SO ANGRY if I set up my new PC and couldn't use the internet. I like firefox a lot, but I think it would be ridiculous if I didn't have a default browser to go to firefox's site and DL it.

That'll learn them? What? That'll teach Microsoft to include free software that takes care of most people's needs? Why not force them to unbundle Wordpad/notepad and defrag utilities while we're at it.

@jeeel you have some good point in that post. I think they will probably force them to bundle it with ie and an alternate browser.

kowenicki said:

already posted

I think fans of all systems can agree that IE is shit. Besides, being a 360 fan and being an MS fan are two different things. I am certainly the former and more certainly not the latter.

legend92(3) said:

i think they(whoever is sueing them)  just need money so there like hey lets sue MS their loaded

Yes, an economy with a $14 trillion dollar GDP needs $1 billion from Microsoft

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Jereel Hunter said:
drpunk said:

They can't win.

They make it as bad as possible, open to all manner of attacks, slow and just plain annoying.

Yet people still use the bloody thing!!!!!!!!!!

Stop bundling it and let everyone telnet Opera/Firefox/Chrome/IE.

That'll learn 'em.

IE has a lot more security built in than other browsers, but it it also targetted more because of it's vast marketshare. I don't find it slow or annoying. I use IE at home and I use Firefox at the office, and they're both good. However, IE has a lot of business uses that firefox doesn't. Forcing MS to "unbundle" IE is ridiculous. It's part of the operating system. That's like forcing them to remove Windows explorer because noone can create profitable software to view folders and open files.

And worse, I would be SO ANGRY if I set up my new PC and couldn't use the internet. I like firefox a lot, but I think it would be ridiculous if I didn't have a default browser to go to firefox's site and DL it.

That'll learn them? What? That'll teach Microsoft to include free software that takes care of most people's needs? Why not force them to unbundle Wordpad/notepad and defrag utilities while we're at it.

Chill dem boots. That'll learn 'em in that'll learn the EU when everyone's buying PC's that they can't even get onto the internet to download their favourite browser.

Sorry, IE just winds me up. You load it up, it's slow, you go to google bar and start typing in your search, it finally finishes loading, switches focus to the address bar and half your search is in there. It's a wind up. Defaults to opening new pages in new windows. What's the point of tabs? It's the small things.

For the record I'm completely against them having to unbundle it.

kanariya said:
I'm a web developer and I wish IE would burn in hell. What a tragedy.

I agree.  I hate having to develop for multiple browsers.

fadetoone said:
kowenicki said:

already posted

Really?  The people that bitch about IE and promote/use Firefox or Mac are generally the very same people that are Xbox 360 fanboys.  I've noticed this over and over again for years.  The common defense is "younger people run the XBox division."

(emphasis mine)

Wut.

You live in a weird world. Do you assume only people loyal and with an emotional attachment to a company buy/use its products?

Since when one needs a goddamn "defensing the company" to justify buying/using what one considers a good product.

Geez.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

yea i use firefox, but i think explorer is ok and use that sometimes too, what they need to do, i mean Microsoft is to integrate explore with xbox 360 that way i can watch and download all my anime movies for free, but wait if they allow explorer or allow some sort of web browsing on the 360 wouldn't that come in conflict with their live content such as video content that you have to pay for but can most of the time see for free on the web? oh dams no wonder Microsoft do not want a webrowser for the 360.

Bitmap Frogs said:
(emphasis mine)

Wut.

You live in a weird world. Do you assume only people loyal and with an emotional attachment to a company buy/use its products?

Since when one needs a goddamn "defensing the company" to justify buying/using what one considers a good product.

Geez.

I'm surprised I'm even bothering to respond to someone that spells it as "Wut" and says unintelligible things such as "defensing the company." but I'll make it simple for your mind.

Here's an example conversation:

My friend:  "Microsoft sucks.  Use Firefox and get a Mac."
Me:  "If Microsoft sucks, why are you a big fan of XBox?"
My friend:  "Younger people are in control of the gaming division, it's not the same as their computer division"

So, in simpler terms, since it sounds like you might need that, it would be somewhat like you saying "I'm not a homo" and then having sex with a guy because you say he's "better looking than other guys."