By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I am getting annoyed by MS.

Slimebeast said:
mrstickball said:
Laughable post.

Microsoft isn't abandoning anyone for anything. MS is merely developing casual titles alongside their hardcore list.

Yeah.

The guy with the OP needs to read between the lines. Greenberg and Co. are of course trying to conquer the casual market, thus a push of Lips, Scene-it and whatnot. But that's just talk that hardcore gamers can safely ignore.

MS' own major titles for 2009 are still very much aimed at hardcore gamers:

Alan Wake
Halo Wars
Forza 3

Halo ODS

The problem is that, if Microsoft wants to ever become the #1 console, it needs the entire market, and not just one piece of it. Casual games are an end to a means, but not an end itself. MS has a huge swath of hardcore exclusives, but we've seen from Nintendo that you can balance your portfolio out, and get new people into your console, while making tons of money.

There's nothing wrong with a Lips, Scene It, YITM, or other casual games. It becomes an issue when those are the only games produced that are 1st party, or exclusive. 2009 will be the best year for exclusives yet, I think. We're starting out with Ensemble (great studio)'s last great title. Moving on to one of the largest JRPGs (and it's exclusive), having a ton of hardcore titles in the middle, then ending (most likely) with Mass Effect 2 and Alan Wake. That's a pretty good year. So what if MS decides to launch another IP or two that's guarenteed a million copies or so? Viva Pinata started it all by doing very well over time...MS needs evergreens just as much as Nintendo does, if they ever want to become #1.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

^^
Knowing what MS does once it gets first, Sony and Nintendo could even ally to stop it. Unless Nintendo feels strong enough to singlehandedly destroy XB720.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

BengaBenga said:
fulcizombie said:
Reasonable said:
When trying to target a new group there's always the risk of losing the old group. Clearly MS are looking at Wii (plus PS2 previously) and want to get there and are willing to take the risk.

IMHO they have never really understood that you need a relatively low cost console that is easy for parents to purchase and hand to the kids. I suspect they are locked into needed to provide high end console to support demanding HC audience who want ever higher res versions of shooters, etc. and this will make it difficult for them.

The ps2 was as hardcore as they come, its big sellers were all hardcore games (GT, GTA, god of war, MGS e.t.c).

You're completely wrong. The best sold PS2 games sold so well because they have casual appeal. GTA has very high casual appeal, GT5 obviously as well. Furthermore in the PS2 top 20: 3x Need for Speed, Crash Bandicoot, Guitar Hero III, Madden, Spiderman, Lord of the Rings and Simpsons...VERY hardcore indeed...

PS2 was for everyone, including very hardcore gamers, but it was also the casual console.

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?&results=50&name=&console=PS2&keyword=&publisher=&genre=&order=Sales&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=

Do you have any idea what casual and hardcore means? GT is by definition one of the most hardcore enthusiast driven franchises anywhere. The fact that it has very high appeal does not make it casual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

fulcizombie said:

They seem to be abandoning the hardcore. Judging from the recent interviews of some MS' executives we should expect more casual crap from them in 2009. Greenberg mentions crap like "scene it" and "lips" as "surprise games that were unannounced until close to release, in 2008" which suggests that this is what we should expect in 2009 (and even a waggle controller). Meanwhile xbox360' first six months , in 2009, look barren as far as exclusives go. At least the ps3 has Killzone 2 and (maybe???) infamous . The 360 has an rts and a Jrpg as their "big" first half of 2009 games and we know next to nothing about the holiday 2009 line up , except for this silly halo3 expansion.

What i liked about MS is how hardcore they used to be...gears of war, halo, fable, mass effect, ninja gaiden, crackdown even the rare stuff like kameo and banjo (though i didn't like banjo). Now they seem hell bent on tapping the wii audiance. Well they should be careful cause they might loose the hardcore gamers that have supported them from the xbox1 days while at the same time not winning the casual crowd and that would leave them with a big fat nothing.

I wish nintendo was as not hardcore as ms is.

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

@Alby: It isn't Nintendo whose position is to "destroy" 720, it's M$ (and Sony) that go after N6 next gen.
Now that Sony isn't leading the market, it's much easier for M$ to go after profit, which is their next gen focus.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

It's just business.  When you feel you've cornered a market, then you try to EXPAND that market.  This is why Wii will see more "hardcore" games this year as opposed to the last two years, and why Microsoft will plan more "casual" fare.  PS3 can't get in on the "expanding" action yet becoz as of this generation, they haven't been able to claim any major demographic, so they'll stick to their guns until they can offer MS some competition.  The line will get very blurry between consoles in the near future...especially when Wii gets a HD version of it's hardware on the streets.

@Signalstar: I believe the talk was about the appeal. It has high "casual" appeal.

Could you explain what makes GT one of the most hardcore enthusiast driven franchise by definition? To my observation, it appeals the most to kids who likes fancy cars, who drive their Corollas from the 80's and younger ones who don't yet have drivers licence.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

@Hypnocronic: Wii isn't getting an HD version. Or do you have any logical reason for such to come? I mean, it's selling faster than anything so far, while Nintendo still experiences issues with supply and it's hardware is pretty irrelevant, it's sales are driven solely by software.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

@BdBdBd

Your right about the Wiis success not being about the economy...but I believe its a phase...I do not believe the Wii can continue to put out all these cheap Mini Games and still be on top for much longer...but you CANNOT hide the fact that a parent that is tight on money is not going to go and buy a $250 dollar system than a $400 dollar system...I mean if I was a parent that would be my logical choice. Idk but if next generation gaming is going to be all about the casual games and every company releases an outdated system with a "cool" controller...I think my gaming days are over

bdbdbd said:
@Alby: It isn't Nintendo whose position is to "destroy" 720, it's M$ (and Sony) that go after N6 next gen.
Now that Sony isn't leading the market, it's much easier for M$ to go after profit, which is their next gen focus.

Yep, in fact I meant that Nintendo could have this urge only if MS tried to get first place with the unbearable risk it could try to achieve monopoly after, otherwise Nintendo wouldn't waste its energies attacking (or better, counterattacking) MS, as facts show it does its best when it goes its way in the best way without caring about competitors. OTOH MS always tries to destroy competition if given the opportunity, it didn't change in 30 years under uncle Bill's leadership, it won't under monkeyboy's iron flying chair fist.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!