By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - About Xbox 360 3-year warranty?

Okay I purchased my Xbox 360 yesturday and the dude at the cashier told me that Xbox 360 has a 3 year warranty on it now. So how do I come about this?? do I call Microsoft to activate the warranty or when I have a problem do I call them and thats when my warranty starts? I'm confused!!

Around the Network

The 3 year waranty only applies to RROD issues from what I understand.

http://nz.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070815005519AATqgKP

register online on xbox website they'll ask you for ur info and ur xbox serial number and will also activate your free one month gold membership.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

The warranty is there and available, you don't need to activate it.

You have/get a 3 year warranty on all Red Ring issues. Meaning, as long as you keep a copy of your sales recepit, your good for 3 years on those issues.

For non Red Ring issues, you still have a full 1 year warranty. You don't need to activate it as far as I know. I never activated any warranty, and mine was still covered 1 year and 3mo after I bought mine.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:

You have/get a 3 year warranty on all Red Ring issues. Meaning, as long as you keep a copy of your sales recepit, your good for 3 years on those issues.

For non Red Ring issues, you still have a full 1 year warranty. You don't need to activate it as far as I know. I never activated any warranty, and mine was still covered 1 year and 3mo after I bought mine.

Cool thanks mrstickball, I'm part of the family now!!!! 360 rules!!! i am getting a PS3 also..O_O....but right now 360!!!

Takashii said:
mrstickball said:

Cool thanks mrstickball, I'm part of the family now!!!! 360 rules!!! i am getting a PS3 also..O_O....but right now 360!!!

Same here, 360 now, PS3 latter, 360 now ps3 later!

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
Takashii said:
Okay I purchased my Xbox 360 yesturday and the dude at the cashier told me that Xbox 360 has a 3 year warranty on it now. So how do I come about this?? do I call Microsoft to activate the warranty or when I have a problem do I call them and thats when my warranty starts? I'm confused!!

Fill out the little warranty registration card in the box.  The 3 year warranty is for the "three red lights".  If the unit fails and cannot resolve the issue through a reboot or power cycle, the three red lights will remain on and tell you that your box will have to go in for repair.  Microsoft will cover the unit for this failure for 3 years from the date of purchase.  All other components -- hard drive, cd rom, controller, etc., are covered by their standard 1 year warranty from the date of purchase.

Please note that there is a "red ring" error that has nothing to do with hardware failure.  It is a video connection failure I belive.

Please make sure you place the 360 where there is not a constriction of air movment as that will lock heat in the console.

Also, have you checked to see if you got a newer unit with the HDMI port and/or the new heatsink?  What is the mfr date on the back of the console? 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn said:
Takashii said:

Fill out the little warranty registration card in the box.  The 3 year warranty is for the "three red lights".  If the unit fails and cannot resolve the issue through a reboot or power cycle, the three red lights will remain on and tell you that your box will have to go in for repair.  Microsoft will cover the unit for this failure for 3 years from the date of purchase.  All other components -- hard drive, cd rom, controller, etc., are covered by their standard 1 year warranty from the date of purchase.

Please note that there is a "red ring" error that has nothing to do with hardware failure.  It is a video connection failure I belive.

Please make sure you place the 360 where there is not a constriction of air movment as that will lock heat in the console.

Also, have you checked to see if you got a newer unit with the HDMI port and/or the new heatsink?  What is the mfr date on the back of the console? 

My MFR is 2007-07-07..and I know all about the 360 heating up faster I got that Nyko Intercooler and its cooling it off completey and I have my A/C on in my room..So no worries here and I don't play video games long only for 2 or 3 hours or less depending my mood.

Ah. I see you've already got 40 GS. Good for you!

If your online, go download Aegis Wing (it's free). Plus try a few demos.

Welcome to the family!

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Takashii said:
kn said:
Takashii said:

Fill out the little warranty registration card in the box. The 3 year warranty is for the "three red lights". If the unit fails and cannot resolve the issue through a reboot or power cycle, the three red lights will remain on and tell you that your box will have to go in for repair. Microsoft will cover the unit for this failure for 3 years from the date of purchase. All other components -- hard drive, cd rom, controller, etc., are covered by their standard 1 year warranty from the date of purchase.

Please note that there is a "red ring" error that has nothing to do with hardware failure. It is a video connection failure I belive.

Also, have you checked to see if you got a newer unit with the HDMI port and/or the new heatsink? What is the mfr date on the back of the console?

My MFR is 2007-07-07..and I know all about the 360 heating up faster I got that Nyko Intercooler and its cooling it off completey and I have my A/C on in my room..So no worries here and I don't play video games long only for 2 or 3 hours or less depending my mood.

Please tell me you're not using Intercooler!? I've ssen that thing mess up a few 360's. Then again if it's the newer model you're okay but the old one can cause a short on the power cord.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

@Goddbless

Yea man its a newer model, I was going to take back that Intercooler anyway cause I was reading reviews on Gamestop/EBGames.com and they said it was trash, so I'm just going to lay my 360 in a well vented area and I will have my box fan blow on the 360 to keep it cool and anything like I said above I don't play video games long I play a max 2-3 hours depends on the game and my mood.