By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bioshock -- a blessing and a curse

Ok, so I've played the demo too much, lol.  This game is both a blessing and a curse.  It has me feeling like I was in my "prime" single and teen years of playing video games.  I can't freaking wait to play the full game.  It has set a new bar in just about every category for next gen gaming.

It is also a curse.  I fired up halo 2 last night to continue the single player campaign and I was disgusted with the graphics and overall gameplay.  I was actually enjoying the game previously.   WTF?  So much so that I'm not sure I'll even order Halo 3 which *was* the only game I was seriously looking forward to.  Ouch.  All I want now is bioshock quality stuff or nothing, lol.

Kudos to the bioshock development team for making such and outstanding game.  Damn them for dashing so many future games against the rocks. 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I felt the same way when I started playing F.E.A.R. after finishing Gears of War. I was surprised considering F.E.A.R. had been known for it's graphics just a year or two earlier.

As for Halo 3 I have a feeling it'll look good and will hold up fine compared to Bioshock.

Personally, I would say the "Curse" of Bioshock is that it will probably only sell moderately well because it will probably end up conflicting with Halo 3 ...
They may be seperated by a month but it is plausable that Bioshock will get strong sales initially and then suddenly disapear in the hype of Halo 3; even if Bioshock is a far superior game Halo 3 will end up with a larger marketing push (and greater public awareness) because it is Microsoft's strongest IP.

^^ I´d rather see Halo 3 and Bioshock as games from different genres each beeing superior on its own turf but I see where you are going,  still I think the great reviews will give this game long legs and many people who look for rpg and adventure elements will buy this game sooner ot later.

HappySqurriel said:
Personally, I would say the "Curse" of Bioshock is that it will probably only sell moderately well because it will probably end up conflicting with Halo 3 ...
They may be seperated by a month but it is plausable that Bioshock will get strong sales initially and then suddenly disapear in the hype of Halo 3; even if Bioshock is a far superior game Halo 3 will end up with a larger marketing push (and greater public awareness) because it is Microsoft's strongest IP.

It might also help.... I feel Bioshock will get most if not all the "I Don't care for Halo" players.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
gebx said:
HappySqurriel said:

It might also help.... I feel Bioshock will get most if not all the "I Don't care for Halo" players.

Most of those players will get it on PC.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck

I would agree kn - after playing certain games in various genres, it's very, very difficult to go back to "inferior" games.

When I got my X360, I played X360 games exclusively for a few months. I finally went back to PS2 games, and they felt so unplayable because of graphics and gameplay.

Not only this, I fully blame Gears of War for ruining Lost Planet for me. LP was highly-touted by players as being such a cinematic showcase of greatness (tm). I found the game was so vastly mediocre compared to GOW that I really haven't gone back to FPS's except for fellow co-op'er EDF 2017.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Hehe, yesss, the Bioshock curse. Prepare yourselves, many previous games may not taste quite right after a plate of delicious Bioshock.

Perhaps the wonder that is Bioshock will make people forget about Halo 3? And I also want to think it will carve out its own niche, separate from the sort of "standard FPS" category Halo falls into.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

I think the sales will do pretty well. It's not an outthere title that 360 gamers hate and while it's just a month before Halo 3, the 360 also has much higher games to console numbers than any other system this early in their life. I've heard the game is somewhat short so I imagine enough people can buy this game the month before Halo 3 and have it finished well before H3 is released.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

i can this happening for halo 2, but it think halo 3 will be amazing. If you loved halo 2 there should be no doubt in your mind to preorder it, i mean if your a halo fan im sure halo 3 wont dissapoint (if it does......ill cry myself to sleep at night)

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.