By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bioshock -- a blessing and a curse

About the hard going back to sub-this gen games with graphics/gameplay:

Graphics are certainly there....I'm playing Blitz: The League, and I'm cringing at the graphics since it's a direct PS2/Xbox port to the X360 with a bit of extra textures for players (very little bit extra)...Ugh.

As for gameplay - I've played far enough great games this gen (Viva Pinata, Oblivion, Gears, EDF2017, Dead Rising, Condemned) to realize that the massive power of my X360 has allowed for far more intensive, interactive gaming experiences overall versus last gen.

I'm not saying it's hard to go back to certain sub-PS2/Xbox games. I constantly find myself going back to play lots of 16-bit games such as Shining Force, Phantasy Star 2, Capitalism, Breath of Fire, Civilization and such that offer unique gameplay experiences that I can't get on any other system right now. Outside of that, the only games I really crave on older systems are games aren't quite out yet for next-gen such as Dai Senraku and Kingdom Under Fire.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like the "exceptional quality" of blockbuster games has also taken a generational leap in terms of uber-gameplay innovators?

Think about it, in just 2 years of "next gen" we'll of recieved:

Oblivion
Gears of War
BioShock
Mass Effect
Zelda: TP
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Heavenly Sword
Halo 3

And the list goes on for 90%+ average games? Think about it, with just Bioshock, we already have a top-10 all time contender for reviews - and that doesn't even include near-shoe in Super Mario Galaxy, as well as Mass Effect that should get darn close to 93%+ scores. It just seems that in gaming, from 1999-2001 we didn't quite have as huge blockbusters as we have thus far. Or is that just me?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Mr. Stick -- I think you are right -- the level of quality in games in the PS3/360/Wii generation are, for the most part, really stepping it up. I think this primarily has to do with the PS3 and 360 each trying harder than any company before to destroy each other. In the process, they are bringing 1st party games that are un-freaking-believable and are pushing 3rd parties to be better and better through a myriad of ways: cash, developer support, cash, better tools, cash, and other marketing support.

As evidence that the competitive money is really what's driving it this time, just look at what's happening to MS and Sony. I don't think it can continue without one or both finally blinking. Sony and MS have both hemorrhaged money this round. Microsoft's corporate losses in gaming are quite big now and they have a ways to go to even get back to even. I suspect between R&D on the PS3 plus their first year losses on sales of the hardware, Sony will ultimately be in pretty darn deep, too. The extraordinary push by both console makers has clearly benefit the consumer this go round like no generation before. Sure, the loss leader approach has always been there but nothing even remotely close to the current scale...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

mrstickball said:
I would agree kn - after playing certain games in various genres, it's very, very difficult to go back to "inferior" games.

When I got my X360, I played X360 games exclusively for a few months. I finally went back to PS2 games, and they felt so unplayable because of graphics and gameplay.

Not only this, I fully blame Gears of War for ruining Lost Planet for me. LP was highly-touted by players as being such a cinematic showcase of greatness (tm). I found the game was so vastly mediocre compared to GOW that I really haven't gone back to FPS's except for fellow co-op'er EDF 2017.

Yah, I just finished Bully which already looked really dated even though it was a late 2006 release. So anyways I decided to try dusting off my unfinished GTA San Andreas.

Yuck. It looked so much better when I didnt have a 360.

Im still playing it, but man am I spoiled by nex-gen graphics.  

And I bought Lost Planet *after* I finished Gears of War. GoW ruined it for me too. 

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )