By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bioshock -- a blessing and a curse

mrstickball said:
I would agree kn - after playing certain games in various genres, it's very, very difficult to go back to "inferior" games.

When I got my X360, I played X360 games exclusively for a few months. I finally went back to PS2 games, and they felt so unplayable because of graphics and gameplay.

Not only this, I fully blame Gears of War for ruining Lost Planet for me. LP was highly-touted by players as being such a cinematic showcase of greatness (tm). I found the game was so vastly mediocre compared to GOW that I really haven't gone back to FPS's except for fellow co-op'er EDF 2017.

Personally, I have been renting a lot of XBox 360 games lately from an online rental place (which means I can't exactly pick-and-choose) and I have never felt that a game line-up was so over-rated before ... I can't believe Lost Planed for the XBox 360 has an average score of 79.8% (gamerankings.com), in hindsight I think it should be far closer in score to its PC counterpart at 66.6%  (gamerankings.com).

Hopefully I'll get a game I enjoy in the mail soon, otherwise I'm going to start thinking some of these games had their reviews bought.

Around the Network

Try EDF 2017 with a friend yet? You will not be disappointed.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:

I'll give it a try ...

I'd say pure blessing. 

Bioshock is clearly the best single player experience this year, possibly on any platform.  With early reviews this good, Bioshock looks to be one of the best single player experiences of all time.  Which I can't wait to get my hands on... I doubt that Halo 3's SINGLE player can match it.

However....

Imagine going through a powerful story with 4 friends, watching each other's back and communicating as the adventure unfolds.  Imagine then being able to take the same game and play one of the best multiplayer combat games online....

These games don't compete.  It's like trying to say which is better, chocolate or vanilla.  I say thank goodness we have awesome developers like these that can provide these different kind of experiences at such a high level of quality.

If there is a downside, it is that last gen will truely start feeling more last gen.  And I'm not sure that's really even a downside.  At least we "early adopters" can start feeling good about the $$ we spent on these next gen consoles.

I say bring on Bioshock, bring on Halo 3,  bring on Mass Effect ... let the true next gen games begin.

(Crap... it looks like the real down side is my wallet getting lighter, and my inability to find enough time to game)

HappySqurriel said:

Personally, I have been renting a lot of XBox 360 games lately from an online rental place (which means I can't exactly pick-and-choose)

I'm in Canada as well and I'm curious, what company you're using for your games, does it includes movies, and the what's the cost per month and for how many games?

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
I would agree kn - after playing certain games in various genres, it's very, very difficult to go back to "inferior" games.

When I got my X360, I played X360 games exclusively for a few months. I finally went back to PS2 games, and they felt so unplayable because of graphics and gameplay.

Not only this, I fully blame Gears of War for ruining Lost Planet for me. LP was highly-touted by players as being such a cinematic showcase of greatness (tm). I found the game was so vastly mediocre compared to GOW that I really haven't gone back to FPS's except for fellow co-op'er EDF 2017.

I do not feel the same feelings you feel at all.  I have been playing 360 and PC games and have no trouble going back to Gamecube or PS2 games.  And what do you mean graphics and gameplay?  There haven't really been any gameplay breakthroughs that are so darastic in any 360 games (that I can think of) that would cause me to feel my entire previous games collection unplayable.

The PS2/Gamecube/Xbox1 achieved a level of graphics where they age very well.  Regardless of how much better graphics get, PS2/Gamecube/Xbox1 games will always be easy enough on the eye.  If someone said the same thing about PS1/N64 games, I would understand, since the graphical level achieved in that generation was not very good, and the games therefore do not age well.  We see the same thing with NES vs SNES games.  SNES games age way better than do NES games because they achieved such a high standard of 2D graphics.  No matter how far graphics progress, Final Fantasy and Super Mario World will always look clean crisp and colorful.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Legend11 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Personally, I have been renting a lot of XBox 360 games lately from an online rental place (which means I can't exactly pick-and-choose)

I'm in Canada as well and I'm curious, what company you're using for your games, does it includes movies, and the what's the cost per month and for how many games?

I use canflix.com ... I'm on the 3 DVD/Game plan at $21 per month. I find it to be a pretty bad service for movies because I really only want movies that are a few weeks old and they never have them in stock but for games it is fairly good; if you were more willing to accept older movies (several weeks old) it would probably be a pretty good service.

They rent HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies as well.

mrstickball said:
Lol, I haven't yet... I've bought it.  I still have games I bought with the console that I've only played for a few minutes.  Too many games.  Too little time.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Avalach21 said:
mrstickball said:

I do not feel the same feelings you feel at all. I have been playing 360 and PC games and have no trouble going back to Gamecube or PS2 games. And what do you mean graphics and gameplay? There haven't really been any gameplay breakthroughs that are so darastic in any 360 games (that I can think of) that would cause me to feel my entire previous games collection unplayable.

The PS2/Gamecube/Xbox1 achieved a level of graphics where they age very well. Regardless of how much better graphics get, PS2/Gamecube/Xbox1 games will always be easy enough on the eye. If someone said the same thing about PS1/N64 games, I would understand, since the graphical level achieved in that generation was not very good, and the games therefore do not age well. We see the same thing with NES vs SNES games. SNES games age way better than do NES games because they achieved such a high standard of 2D graphics. No matter how far graphics progress, Final Fantasy and Super Mario World will always look clean crisp and colorful.

Exactly, been saying that for years. NES games have not aged well and their only value today is nostalgia, except for Metroid and Mario. On the other side, any gamer who can appreciate 2D will enjoy ALTTP or Chrono Trigger. Few N64 games have aged well, but i'd say the Zeldas, DK64 and the Banjos to name a few, have. FFXII may be bad in today's standards, but your eyes won't ever itch because you cant stand the graphics. The Dreamcast will age pretty well although not as well as games like RE4 and God of War. 

Avalach21 said:
mrstickball said:

I do not feel the same feelings you feel at all. I have been playing 360 and PC games and have no trouble going back to Gamecube or PS2 games. And what do you mean graphics and gameplay? There haven't really been any gameplay breakthroughs that are so darastic in any 360 games (that I can think of) that would cause me to feel my entire previous games collection unplayable.

Wel, first, you have to realize there is a little exaggeration there -- hard to pass on in a text post.  Have you played the Bioshock demo?  Basically to me this game is one of the few that really puts it all together.  Games, to me, always seem to have some sort of issue or another.  Great graphics, so-so gameplay.  Or great gameplay, lame story.  Great everything, bad controls.  And so on.  The bioshock demo is the first game I have played in many years that gets a very, very solid mark in every category.  Sound.  Graphics.  Control. and so on.  To me (and apparently a lot of reviewers), they get everything SO right that it eclipses so many previous games that are in the same genre that it creates a revolutionary leap forward rather than an evolutionary one.  When that happens, it sort of puts things into a new perspective.  I'm now strongly considering getting a PS3 as I know there will be some graphical treats on that system as well and, frankly, I don't want to play other PS2 game.

My Wii is for my daughter and wife.  I'll play it because the control is freaking cool... But... Bioshock has really slapped me in the head and said "play me". 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.