By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Dear Internet: Quit Overhyping Killzone 2

windbane said:
blazinhead89 said:
@windbane i was responding to colonelstubbs saying it was a bog standard shooter with pretty graphics

carry on

lol no prob

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
windbane said:
colonelstubbs said:
KylieDog said:
I've said it before I'll say it again. It is a bog standard shooter and its main selling point seems to be graphics. Graphics don't make a game.

I hate to annoy anyone, but this is exactly the situation....props to you kylie

i just hope you both have played it.

I would love to hear you explain was is so amazingly revolutionary about this game compared to various other FPS games already released. Really, do tell.

Does it has some form of co-op that like CoD: WaW or R2?

Does it has some amazing destruction physics that beats Battlefield Bad Company?

Does it have some entirely new approach to classes not seen before?

Does the cover system do something amazingly groundbreaking that simply ducking behind cover and side stepping doesn't do?

Please tell me what KZ2 does to advance the FPS genre in any way.

The only thing it really has going for itself is graphics, as far as gameplay elements are concerned it is behind a bunch of games already released.

a game doesn't have to be revolutionary to be excellent. MGS4 wasn't revolutionary compared to MGS3, but it was improved upon in many ways and refined.

I've played R2, and the co-op is amazing, but the team-based combat in this game is a totally different experience. it doesn't need to have that.

It also dosn't need the destructible environments that bad company has, but then I haven't played single player.

the classes allow you to mix abilities, and it's done differently than any game I've played before. CoD4 had unlocks but everyone could have the same thing all the time, whereas in KZ2 multiplayer you need different classes to succeed.

multiplayer didn't have a cover "system," it had what I like, and that's getting behind stuff to not get hit. I'll find out if I like the single player cover system later.

If you compare features of FPS, every single one is behind all the others in something, but Killzone feels like a unique experience compared to CoD4, GRAW, TF2, Halo, etc. You can adjust tons of options for servers, including match making on or off, and the game plays very well. Graphics don't hurt, but that's not what makes a great game.

What baffles me more than people hyping a game over graphics is the people that claim that the game is only about graphics that haven't even played it. I've played all the shooters I've mentioned above, and many others, and Killzone 2 is a great game. Will it change the FPS genre? No. Is it the best PS3 shooter? Probably. Will some people hate it? Of course, and a lot of them will be CoD4 people because it doesn't play the same (there is no auto-aim, for instance).

Then again, I am only basing this off of my 100-150 hour muliplayer experience on 3 maps, so that's why I'm even more excited about ther full game.

Not everything has to be revolutionary. @KylieDog, I think people believe that the whole game is greater than the sum of its parts. Like it does nothing revolutionary, but it does what it does so well that it can still be considered one of the best shooters ever. There are things to be said for refining previous concepts into what they should be rather than what they were.

KylieDog said:
windbane said:
colonelstubbs said:
KylieDog said:
I've said it before I'll say it again. It is a bog standard shooter and its main selling point seems to be graphics. Graphics don't make a game.

I would love to hear you explain was is so amazingly revolutionary about this game compared to various other FPS games already released.   Really, do tell. 

Does it has some amazing destruction physics that beats Battlefield Bad Company?

Does the cover system do something amazingly groundbreaking that simply ducking behind cover and side stepping doesn't do?

The only thing it really has going for itself is graphics, as far as gameplay elements are concerned it is behind a bunch of games already released.

Can you explain why you like COD? it has great gameplay and graphics. Could you explain the points about COD that you asked about Killzone 2? im intersted, because i find it hard to explain why i like something so much

NYANKS said:

Not everything has to be revolutionary. @KylieDog, I think people believe that the whole game is greater than the sum of its parts. Like it does nothing revolutionary, but it does what it does so well that it can still be considered one of the best shooters ever. There are things to be said for refining previous concepts into what they should be rather than what they were.

Well said.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
windbane said:
KylieDog said:
windbane said:
colonelstubbs said:
KylieDog said:

I would love to hear you explain was is so amazingly revolutionary about this game compared to various other FPS games already released. Really, do tell.

a game doesn't have to be revolutionary to be excellent. MGS4 wasn't revolutionary compared to MGS3, but it was improved upon in many ways and refined.

I've played R2, and the co-op is amazing, but the team-based combat in this game is a totally different experience. it doesn't need to have that.

It also dosn't need the destructible environments that bad company has, but then I haven't played single player.

the classes allow you to mix abilities, and it's done differently than any game I've played before. CoD4 had unlocks but everyone could have the same thing all the time, whereas in KZ2 multiplayer you need different classes to succeed.

multiplayer didn't have a cover "system," it had what I like, and that's getting behind stuff to not get hit. I'll find out if I like the single player cover system later.

If you compare features of FPS, every single one is behind all the others in something, but Killzone feels like a unique experience compared to CoD4, GRAW, TF2, Halo, etc. You can adjust tons of options for servers, including match making on or off, and the game plays very well. Graphics don't hurt, but that's not what makes a great game.

What baffles me more than people hyping a game over graphics is the people that claim that the game is only about graphics that haven't even played it. I've played all the shooters I've mentioned above, and many others, and Killzone 2 is a great game. Will it change the FPS genre? No. Is it the best PS3 shooter? Probably. Will some people hate it? Of course, and a lot of them will be CoD4 people because it doesn't play the same (there is no auto-aim, for instance).

Then again, I am only basing this off of my 100-150 hour muliplayer experience on 3 maps, so that's why I'm even more excited about ther full game.

So nothing then, anyone who owns a recent FPS released gains nothing but better visuals. Fifa 2010 will be huge!

i mentioned some things, but nice trolling, anyway. lots of the game are better than others, that's the important part, not what's revoluntionary. Not much was new in CoD4 but it was still a great game.

btw, the last several fifa's have improved every year. why don't you list your favorite games and we can troll on them?

sadly, you seem like the kind of gamer that only looks at the back of the box to see what nice names for new features games have rather than how well they are executed.

@KylieDog

Killzone's 2 Multiplayer WARZONE MODE . I don't know if it can be called "revolutionary" , but it's pretty unique, and IT OWNS, ITS FREAKING AWESOME AND IT'S A HELL OF FUN. Have YOU played it?

KylieDog said:
windbane said:
colonelstubbs said:
KylieDog said:

I don't fully understand your disdain for this title.  Windbane wasn't saying that Killzone was revolutionary, he was wondering how you could form a gameplay opinion without playing the game.  As with most pre-release games, we can only make observations based upon the information leaked by the publisher.  Killzone has always been praised/criticized for its visual presentation.  Once the game is released we will be able to answer your questions regarding gameplay and whether or not the game adds anything to the genre.  Unfortunately, we will need to wait until Feb. 26 to begin answering your questions.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Magnific0 said:
@KylieDog

Killzone's 2 Multiplayer WARZONE MODE . I don't know if it can be called "revolutionary" , but it's pretty unique, and IT OWNS, ITS FREAKING AWESOME AND IT'S A HELL OF FUN. Have YOU played it?

true, warzone mode is unique. that is a good point. sadly, he'll probably just say that all FPS games have "war zones."

what's great about that mode, though, is that you need several different classes to succeed and you can switch between them the whole match.

edit: exactly, dbot, thanks. I did play the beta, and my enjoyment of that is why I'm excited for the full release, and that adds to my confusion that people are trashing this game that haven't played it. what's ironic is that I wasn't blown away by the graphics. I mean, I noticed them at first, but then the game takes over. It was only after going back to some of my other games that I really noticed the difference.  I expect single player to look better than multi, though, similar to every other FPS.

Killzone 2 by a long shot