By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - wii's next big hit. what will it be?

Demotruk said:

On the scale of Wii Fit or Mario Kart? Whatever it is, it's a while away. I'd hazard a guess at the next Zelda, which will be completely unlike the last few Zelda's. My reasoning: It's likely to be the next big step in the journey upstream for most of the audience(Mario Kart was the last).

i seriously doubt zelda. i think itll only sell on the level of like gears of war 2 or call of duty 4. if its anything like windwaker, however, itll only sell a few million.

Around the Network

If you are talking the next game made by a Third Party that will sell as well as a title like Wii Fit or Smash Bros or whatever, then its going to be Dragon Quest X. Unless some Third Party publishers start working on some better games. The only real efforts I'm seeing are some games like Fragile, Little King's Story and the new VanillaWare game. But I don't see those games selling more than about 1.5 mil, tops. Sadly.

If you're talking about Nintendo EAD, Intelligent Systems, etc games. Who knows. Nintendo comes out with new games out of left field all the time. Could be Punch out or could be some new game they announce in 2 weeks.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Dang, he said NOT to include Wii Sports' sequel. This is gonna be a difficult one to answer! But I'll probably would have to say....Mario Party 9???? I have no idea?

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

just want to point out that bundling has nothing to do with it. wii play only sells like it does because of the controller, so yes thats due to the bundle. wii sports would have probably sold at least 20 million by now on its own (it has over 3 million in japan alone!). wii fit doesn't sell cuz its bundled it sells cuz its a fitness game and tons of people are interested in a competent fitness game and it is the first of those ever. and mario kart just happens to have a wheel bundled with it because its a fun new way to play the game, but the wheel is in no way driving sales. its sales are being driven because its, a) mario kart!!!, b) very very fun, c) arguably the best multiplayer and easily the best online game on the wii, d) appeals hugely to both traditional gamers and casuals alike.

personally i don't think any game is gonna get the sales that wii fit and mario kart have. but, i would guess it would need to have great multiplayer, have good online play, a solid single player experience too, and be fun and challenging enough for all gamers to enjoy but at the same time simple enough to understand the basics for casuals to enjoy. and most likely it will either have to be in the "wii" series or a main nintendo franchise.

since punchout is just a remake of the original i don't think its got what it takes, they'd have to add in a lot of new stuff to hit the criteria above. star fox could be possible but it would have to be THE PERFECT star fox, and perfection is pretty hard to come by, also flying games i don't think are as universally appealing or as easy to pick up as racing games like mario kart.

i can only think of two games. one would be a masterful pokemon wii game. one that not only gets all the millions of current pokemon fans to buy it (and the wii if they don't have one) but also it needs to be a serious enough rpg to get all the older rpg fans to buy it too. it would have to be a highly critically acclaimed AAA GOTY type game to get all the older rpg fans on board i think.

the other game i think would be a 2D mario: super mario bros 4! return to the classic gameplay of smb3 and smw but with lots of new ideas picked up from the 3D games. it would need to have superb presentation in graphics, art style, sound, music, and controls. it would need to use the motion controls in some clever and useful way. need to have a 2 player mode (maybe even 4 player) with luigi and mario and other characters at the same time. also make the multiplayer game online too. difficulty settings ranging from easy for casuals to very hard for people who miss the challenge that the 3D mario games just don't have. also more enemies for when playing with more than one person. it would also need to have modes like time attack and other ones that i can't think of right now for each level and they would need to be up to 4-players as well. just plenty of multiplayer stuff so casuals can have fun playing it in groups. also it would have to be the most badass mario ever! basically a 2D mario games that takes the best elements from every entry in the series with great local and online multiplayer modes added in and the game would have to completely redefine what 2D platforming is all about in the same way that mario 64 defined what 3D is all about. every nintendo/mario fan would buy this, and lots of casuals would buy this too for both the easy to pick up and fun single player and multiplayer game and the various fun multiplayer modes. ooh, also there would need to be an option to have your mii be your onscreen character. i say take mario galaxy sales and double them and thats what this game could do.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Sorry all I can say is Wii Sports: Resort withought saying an unannounced game...

like Wii Fit + (Motion plus)...ZOMG!

Around the Network

Wii Sports Resort.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

wii sports resort will go on to sell upwards of 10 million

hello how are you.

angrypoolman said:

and please dont say wii sports resort, something besides that.

Well, let's look - what are Nintendo's major franchises left? I'm only considering the "big hits" which is 5M +

Mario Party 9 could make 5M.

Another M&S

Another Zelda

Another Mario Platformer

A Pokemon console title (it's possible).

Donkey Kong (doubtable, and even if there was one - would it sell 5M?)

Starfox (would it make 5M? I kind of doubt it, but it's possible).

So that's the major titles they have from the last 2 generations (5th + 6th). None of those will beat 10M though (M&S combined has a shot... Possibly the Mario Platformer).

So other than that, it would have to be a new IP, a revival of an old series (pre 3D, so it would really be the same as a new IP) or a handheld transformed to Wii game (which would also need total remaking)

That means these are all the titles that we can expect to be released that will make 5M. Oh, that is, of course, excluding any Wii series game. 

What's likely to be first?

I have to say it seems pretty obvious... Mario & Sonic or Mario Party.

Then we have to as ourselves; third party?

Yes, can any 3rd party title make 5M (or more)? I doubt it, but it is possible. A Guitar Hero has a shot.

So my answer is: Mario Party 9. We know it will come eventually, and M&S isn't even announced. MP9 is simply the one of these titles I believe will be released first.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:

Yes, can any 3rd party title make 5M (or more)? I doubt it, but it is possible. A Guitar Hero has a shot.

Again.  As I already said.  Dragon Quest X will.  Easily.  Each one sells in the multiple millions in Japan and the last two have broken Japanese records.  Its the other markets that's the problem.  Or more accrately, the poor handling of the series by Square-Enix in those markets making it sell bad that is the problem.

Now that we know there's a Third Party title that will sell 5 million on the horizon, the goal is to get other companies to actually make good games for the Wii that will sell for more than just a quick buck.

Six upcoming games you should look into: