By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why can't 3rd parties compete against Nintendo?

Of course they can compete. There is one third party game that has sold more zelda, one of the biggest nintendo icons. It might even end up selling more than SMG! They just have to understand what wii owners like.

Oh and here is the game:

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7707

Around the Network
misterd said:

They can. They just don't.

No question Nintendo has some advantages - their mascots are the icons of gaming, and very few IPs have that sort of fan base - of 1st party titles, only Halo/MasterChief can compete with Mario/Zelda (though Sony is trying).

They avoid competing with themselves (Nintendo one platformer, one racer, one adventure title, etc).

Nintendo understood the Wii before anyone else (by necessity) and so were in the best position to exploit it.

But what I think helps Nintendo more than anything else is that they are a game company, and have no pretensions of being anything else. The Wii was never a "gateway playform" like the 360 and PS3 are supposed to be. Their focus from the start has been on gamers, and they've spent a good part of the last decade trying to figure out how to make more gamers, rather than trying to get gamers to use their console to watch movies.

Finally, Nintendo is as all awesome as we like to think. ETernal Darkness sank like a rock. Metroid Prime 1-3 did very modest numbers. Pikmin has never been more than a niche title. Its really just a few of the aforementioned mascots that really drive the sales through the roof, and many companies have their own "killer" IPs that can stand toe to toe with Mariio and Link - Halo, Resident Evil, Madden, Gran Tourismo, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, etc.

Pikmin remake on Wii has done 100k in 2 weeks. Its got some cred

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

ok, so we've got herd mentality and demographic targeting - both of which are good answers- but i'm going to add in another one.

How do developer's decide what kind of game they will make? Generally, it's two different ways. The first way is they say to themselves "What game do I want to make/play?" This question automatically limits how much their games can sell. This is how the artsy/niche games are made: the No More Heroes', Ico's and Okami's of the gaming world. Their appeal is limited because the developer only thought about a game he himself wanted to make. He didn't think about who would buy it.

The second way to approach game-making is the developer asks himself "who do I want to make this game for?" As previously explained by Bod, this quickly results in demographic targeting which also limits the appeal of their product.

How does Nintendo approach development? They use the element of surprise. They don't ask people what they want as that is subjective and limits the game's appeal. So instead, Nintendo chooses to innovate and surprise customers with new experiences. You can't ask gamers what type of games they want because they don't know.

If you asked gamers if they wanted to play a game where you play as an italian plumber who stomps on turtle shells all day they would obviously say "no." But if they got to play the game they would understand how fun it is. The market didn't want Super Mario Bros. until Miyamoto gave it to them, then the market couldn't live without it. The Market didn't want Wii Sports until Miyamoto gave it to them, then it couldn't live without it.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

This is all exactly true.  But it also hinges on a second point.  Nintendo develops games based around a theme.  Be it thinking of a pure gameplay aspect and building from there (Super Mario Bros), setting (Zelda: Wind Waker), characters (Fire Emblem), etc.

But because they're a good company, as they have one idea to build a game, they also know how to utilize the OTHER good aspects of a game and make it work.  And somehow, they can start each game over from scratch and make a whole new game work out.  At least, 99% of the time.  Depending of which Nintendo games you think aren't AAA quality games.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Soriku, "saturated" means the opposite of how you're using it.

Around the Network

Why are people thinking 3rd parties cant compete with nintendo on nintendo platform. First thing first is to be able to compete with nintendo on non nintendo platform. Almost all of the games of the top 50 all time sales belong to nintendo.

I TAKE NO SIDES

Soriku said:
Really? :P

Well, what I meant was "not much of this"

Yeah, saturated means that there's as much as something can hold. Like if you take a sponge and submerge it in water, then lift it out so that it's dripping, you could say it's saturated with water.

You might say that there is a derth of Western games on the Wii.

Soriku said:
Here's another thing too, besides what Bod posted:

Japanese devs have no problem putting games like RPGs on the Wii. The reason being is there aren't many to begin with, so there's free room. Plus Wii RPGs sell anyway.

I believe when a system is saturated in a certain genre, a quality game in the genre can sell really well.

I mean like at ToS for the GC. It sold so well because the GC was saturated with RPGs.

The Wii is saturated with quality Western games. There are little quality shooters (and certain ones that are have superior HD counterparts), not many sandbox-esque games, not many WRPGs, etc.

Now, I think Western devs believe that fanbase is already on the HD consoles, but many of them are posting losses. Now, if they make some of those games on the Wii, there will be a lot of hype (just look at Conduit) and most likely good sales because the Wii is saturated with that kinda of stuff. Now, new IPs are good but if they make a game in a popular series (like GTA) and is EXCLUSIVE it has potential to be huge.

If Conduit sells really well, maybe this'll make more Western devs lighten up. Though I think more Western devs are announcing stuff anyway. Take Two even said they can't ignore the Wii anymore.

Though, for me, thank god Japanese devs don't have the same ideology. But if Wii hate is to lessen, more quality Western games have to come.

What I think is an equally more monumental problem to the lack of games being made is the fact that we just aren't getting the games brought over to the international scene.  On the PS2, its like a whole new awakening.  When ATLUS woke up and said 'Anime craze + gaming = money'.  And in many ways, ATLUS has pioneered things that no other gaming company has or seemingly will ever do, like dual audio voice tracks or subtitles for Japanese games.

But beyond these facts, when the Wii came out, in its first year alone, the gap between Japanese and American/Other software must have grown in proportion like 5:1.  And its only gotten worse.  And what games we did get from Japan were either not exactly their best or just plain sad in localization.

Its enough to make someone go and buy a cheap PS2 just to hope for some better 'Japanese Support' on a system.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Valkyria00 said:
Because Nintendo is the shit!

/thread

Because Nintendo actually puts a lot of effort into their big games while most 3rd parties don't.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089