By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forbes: Sony is Screwed...Is this article accurate?

Tagging for when i get off work.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

SlorgNet said:

Fortunately, it looks like East Asia, Russia, and the EU are all throwing money at their economies, so a global recovery should start this spring.

I just wanted to point out, for those who don't know the economic definitions of recession, that a recession recovery begins when things are at their absolutely worst point (output is lowest, unemployement is highest).  So even if there is a recovery that begins in spring of 2009, 2009 will likely be a worse year than 2008 as there would be more unemployment and less output at the beginning of the recovery than at any other point during the recession, and even consumers who get their jobs back will be more cautous overall, perhaps by necessity, than consumers who never lost their jobs.

So a "global recovery" beginning won't save Sony in 2009.  It will probably help them in 2010, but depending on what they sacrifice in 2009 to survive and how their competitors react, Sony will be in a very tough spot even in a significantly recovering economy.

Saying, "Sony will be saved by Keiretsu" is ignorant since Keiretsu has nothing to do with Sony.

Saying, "Sony will be saved by the global recession recovery beginning in 2009" is nonsense.

There are enough ways for companies to survive during hard times, especially companies the size of Sony, so that Sony will certainly recover.  However, the article (and analysts) seem to be pointing out that Sony will require some major restructuring or reorganization to do so.  Don't be unrealistic about this: Sony is in a very difficult spot right now and they will almost certainly lose market share and mind share in every major area.

I also doubt a spring recovery is even feasible at this point, things are going to get worst before they start getting better. All signs indicate 09 being worst than 08.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

goddog said:
Snake said:
Who cares? Sony owns a Blu Ray which won the format war and it will rule in 2010 as well as 2011 and 2012. in 2013, i think blu ray will be too cheap and won't be such a great profit for Sony.

sony does not own blue ray, nor do they have majority of its patents they are just the most vocal of its support 

they don't i am pretty sure they do. Toshiba ownes HD DVD Sony owns Blu ray

Snake said:
goddog said:
Snake said:
Who cares? Sony owns a Blu Ray which won the format war and it will rule in 2010 as well as 2011 and 2012. in 2013, i think blu ray will be too cheap and won't be such a great profit for Sony.

sony does not own blue ray, nor do they have majority of its patents they are just the most vocal of its support 

Sony is one of the owners, but there are many others. Sony does not get all the profits for licensing the technology.

"The "Blu-ray Disc Founder group" was started in May 2002 by nine leading electronic companies: Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

Around the Network
Snake said:
goddog said:
Snake said:

Blu-ray is owned by the Blu-ray Disc Association.

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Arius Dion said:
I also doubt a spring recovery is even feasible at this point, things are going to get worst before they start getting better. All signs indicate 09 being worst than 08.

Exactly -- spring could mark the beginning of an economic recovery, but a Sony recovery would follow much, much later as the beginning of an economic recovery would literally be the worst time for Sony.

TheBigFatJ said:
Arius Dion said:

Exactly -- spring could mark the beginning of an economic recovery, but a Sony recovery would follow much, much later as the beginning of an economic recovery would literally be the worst time for Sony.

I think Arius is saying that the economies will still be worsening in Spring... Unemployment is not that high yet for example. Frankly I would be very positively surprised if the economies bottomed out this year.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
TheBigFatJ said:
Arius Dion said:

I think Arius is saying that the economies will still be worsening in Spring... Unemployment is not that high yet for example. Frankly I would be very positively surprised if the economies bottomed out this year.

Right.  When the "recession recovery" begins, the economy is literally at its worst point (highest unemployment, lowest output).  So even if recession recovery begins in 2009, 2009 will still almost certainly be a worse year for Sony than 2008.  The world recession beginnning a recovery will not be help to Sony, it will the the promise of help at some point further in the future.  But not in the same year that the recovery begins.

But many economists consider 2009 the year when the recovery will begin -- ie: the year when the world economy hits bottom.  In a very naive view, I would guess that if the world economy bottoms out in mid 2009, then 2010 would be approximately equivalent to 2008, or slightly worse (recovery will probably be slower than the beginning of the recession).

NJ5 said:

Interesting, I had never heard of this Keiretsu name. However according to wikipedia Sony is not in that system. Is this wrong?

Wikipedia's information is a bit out of date. The keiretsu used to be relatively autarkic groups, where a cluster of industrial firms had one main bank, one main insurance firm, and one main trading house. During the crisis of the 1990s, though, this model began to break down - banks couldn't bail out firms from the bad debts of the post-Bubble crash. Lots of neoliberal observers, who celebrate Wall Street-style greed and condemn any other form of capitalism as Satanic, doomed or just plain un-American, claimed Japan was toast and Japan Inc. would become just like the US.

Wrong. The Japanese government bailed out its banks, and the keiretsu banks merged into super-banks. One of the great ironies of the neoliberal era is that the keiretsu model was extended to the entire Japanese stock market.

Don't believe me? Crack open any issue of the Japan Company Handbook and look at the shareholdings of the major firms. You'll see widely dispersed networks of shareholdings, concentrated around a few major holders -- MTFG, Mizuho and Sumitomo-Mitsui, plus various government trust funds.

Sony wasn't a traditional keiretsu member, but today that doesn't matter. Any major Japanese company which gets into trouble will get a helping hand from these networks. They're durable, efficient, and are the model for many other booming East Asian economies (especially China).